PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Priority UDFAs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I'd think Kellen Davis will be getting a phone call/invite from the Pats. What other free agents do you think the Pats will invite to camp?

I'd think Kellen Davis will be getting a phone call/invite from the Pats. What other free agents do you think the Pats will invite to camp?

I'll get back to you after I check out the Navy team page.

ABSOLUTELY - second that... I'm amazed he didn't get drafted late. Just a question of where he thinks he's got the best opportunity for playing time. I'd say he should be very interested in playing here.

Other blocking TEs might be invited as well. That has to be a major priority.

The good thing is we've got lots of room on the roster for UDFAs - so bring as many in as we can and see who might stick. There are players to be found among the undrafted.

Kellen Davis was taken in the 5th round by the Bears.

J D Sal

Oops. Who else could we look at as a blocking tight end?

Myabe it's best to wait until the draft is over BEFORE talking UDFAs

Oops. Who else could we look at as a blocking tight end?

Adam Bishop. Though with the Pollard signing I'm having difficultly seeing where another TE would fit into the mix.

Drago hasn't been drafted yet. There's a good possiblity the pats bring in some punters as UDFA. Drago would be a steal if they can sign him.

sorry. Haven't been around for the past few hours Selections (while I figure it out)-
Joe Jon Finley
Kerry Brown
Shawn McMackin
Edit- (more)
Drew Radovich - OG
Will Robinson- ot
Keilen Dykes TE
Jameel McClain olb
Jo- Lonn Dunbar- ilb
Jeremy Leman ilb
Dvone Bess- Wr
Adarius Bowman- wr
Darius Renaud- wr
Kevin Robinson -wr

Last edited:
They are not drafted at this point (part way through round 7)

Joe Jon Finley ( 6' 6.25" 254lbs )- TE

Strengths: Appears to read defenses well and can locate seams when sees zone coverage. Can snatch the ball out of the air and flashes the ability to make tough catches in traffic. Is strong enough to beat press coverage, uses frame to shield defenders from the ball and has the potential to develop into a productive red zone target. Runs hard, flashes an effective stiff arm and can pick up yards after contact. Works from the snap until the whistle and is a relentless run blocker. Takes sound angles to downfield blocks and can get into position at the second level. Has experience lining up in the backfield as well as in a flex position and capable of playing an H-Back role.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal top-end speed, takes too long to reach top gear and isn't a vertical threat. Doesn't explode out of cuts, is far too mechanical and is going to have problems separating from man coverage at the NFL level. Appears to lose focus at time and drops some passes that should catch. Stiff, doesn't always get head turned around quick enough and has problems adjusting to passes thrown behind him. Does a poor job of selling the run when releasing off play action and needs to be more physical at times. Doesn't show a great grasp of spacing with tackle and can get slide too far outside when asked to zone block. Hands slide outside the defender's frame too much, plays with a narrow base and struggles to sustain blocks. Stands up too much, lacks ideal lower body strength and isn't going to drive two-gap defensive ends off the ball. Doesn't deliver a violent initial punch and rarely jars defenders at the point of contact. Dives at the feet of linebackers too much and spends too much time on the ground.

Overall: Finley redshirted in 2003, then combined for 20 receptions, 244 yards (12.2 average) and three touchdowns in 23 games (two starts) over his first two seasons (2004-'05). He became a full-time starter in 2006 and almost exactly matched his previous career totals, recording 19 catches for 241 yards (12.7 average) and three TDs in 14 games. As a senior, Finley started in 13 of 14 games and delivered 23 receptions for 290 yards (12.6 average) and four touchdowns. Finley isn't a dominant drive blocker or an explosive receiver and his lack of overall strength may make him a better fit for a team that uses H-Backs. However, he's a tenacious drive blocker and adequate short-to-intermediate receiver so he projects as a late fifth or early sixth round pick.

DJ Wolfe ( 5' 11.125" 207lbs)- CB/S

Strengths: Reads quarterbacks' eyes and shows good awareness in zone coverage. Gets adequate hand placement and flashes the ability to reroute receivers. Footwork is inconsistent but quicker than fast, changes directions well and has the potential to develop strong short-area man-to-man coverage skills. Aggressive in coverage, shows adequate burst coming out of backpedal and can jump routes. Has good ball skills, is a former running back that shows good vision as an open field runner and is a playmaker in coverage. Plays with a mean streak, times hits well and flashes the ability to separate the receiver from the ball. Wraps up and is a reliable open field tackler. Has starting experience at corner and is versatile enough to line up there for a team that plays primarily zone coverage. Has experience covering kicks and can contribute on special teams.

Weaknesses: Doesn't have elite size and can get engulfed when lined up in the box. Doesn't show a violent punch, hands aren't active enough and takes too long to shed blocks. Isn't physical enough and doesn't throw body around in run support. Inconsistent pursuit angles and isn't a sideline-to-sideline run defender. Doesn't have great range and while can cover the deep half of the field, should struggle if asked to play a centerfielder type role. Isn't fast enough to run with NFL receivers, fails to get head turned around in time to locate the ball too much and can beat deep when left on an island. While has adequate height, doesn't have long arms, isn't a great leaper and isn't going to win many jump balls. Lacks ideal closing speed, isn't strong enough to power through blockers in the backfield and isn't going to have much success getting to the quarterback when blitzed off the edge. Moved from running back to corner in the spring of 2005, moved from corner to safety during the 2007 preseason and hasn't been able to work on the nuances at any one position.

Overall: Wolfe arrived at Oklahoma as a tailback in 2004, appeared in 13 games and finishing his freshman season with 107 yards on 25 carries (4.3 average) and three receptions for 29 yards (9.7 average). He was moved to right cornerback in 2005, playing in 26 games (14 starts) over the next two seasons and collecting 83 tackles (four for losses), 1.5 sacks, two forced fumbles, three interceptions and 13 pass breakups. As a senior in 2007, he was moved to strong safety and started all 14 games, recording 87 tackles (five for losses), four interceptions and four pass breakups. Wolfe's lack of top-end speed and explosiveness admittedly put a lower ceiling on his potential but he still has some upside because he has limited experience lining up at safety. If he can improve his footwork and get stronger against the run, he is instinctive, tough and versatile to develop into an excellent reserve who also contributes on special teams. Keeping all of that in mind, Wolfe projects as a fifth round pick.

Last edited:
Heh only the really hardcore draft followers are thinking about UDFAs at this point. I forgot about Drago. It couldn't hurt to give him an invite to see if he can knock of Hanson or Player.

is Ali Highsmith not drafted? wow.. did I totally miss something?

He is very, very, very slow and not big.

Ok, but he was the LBer for LSU and did very well. Surely he would be worth a 7th round at least.....anyway I guess that's a different thread...

Once Austin Scott got thrown off of the team. R. Kinlaw was given the ball and did a very credible job at PSU. Skat-back type. Good insurance. If someone gets injured in camp.

Any potential back up NT types floating around out there?

Danny Landsah (sp?) from UConn

5'11 240-250 ILB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back