PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Prioritizing Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.
McCourty is our starting free safety. He has found a position.

Gregory is fine as our #3 safety.

Wilson was not as good as Gregory last year, in his rookie year.

Ebner is a special teamer.

Chung is gone.

I agree that we need a safety to compete with Wilson and Gregory for reps.

And as I have told others, given the quality of the draft, we should draft a safety in the top three rounds.

Look at your list again. You'll find that even your list is short a starting safety, since two are required. Wanting that problem remedied at the very top of the draft isn't panic. It's taking advantage of the convergence of need and opportunity, just as it is with the WRs.

I just don't like the idea of drafting for immediate need. It means you're reaching and not maximising value. Use FA to fill need. Use the draft to keep the pipeline flowing.

Its like what Deus says about convergence between need and opportunity. This years draft is crazy deep at WR and deep at S, its not like we'd be reaching for need. Drafting Tavon Wilson was classic reaching for need though.

I'm probably too nonchalant about OL going into the offseason, but I'm fine with just bringing in vet mins/UDFAs. Regarding the starting RT spot, let Cannon/Zusevics fight out for the spot. Trust the Dante.

I'm right there with you. I think that Cannon will probably be the starting RT this year, and for all we know that may have been the plan the whole time.

I don't think Vollmer is worth the money that he'll command, and I actually think that he could develop into a fine LT over the course of a season. There are probably at least a few teams that will have that position in mind for him.

It may be possible that we are slightly spoiled and underrating the need at OL, and like I said--I can certainly understand why it was included as all of the positions were, but I wouldn't put it too highly on a priority list either unless the perfect player should fall to them in the first couple of rounds. It's a position like QB, TE, and RB that I don't worry about too much.

Solder--Mankins--Wendell--Connelly--Cannon

McDonald, Thomas, (free agent OR draft pick for interior), and one of Zusevics/Hix would make up the 9 that should all be favored to make the 53 man roster.

I think that we can get by with only ONE addition from either a veteran FA pickup, or a draftee, assuming that we re-sign Thomas.

I'm right there with you. I think that Cannon will probably be the starting RT this year, and for all we know that may have been the plan the whole time.

I don't think Vollmer is worth the money that he'll command, and I actually think that he could develop into a fine LT over the course of a season. There are probably at least a few teams that will have that position in mind for him.

It may be possible that we are slightly spoiled and underrating the need at OL, and like I said--I can certainly understand why it was included as all of the positions were, but I wouldn't put it too highly on a priority list either unless the perfect player should fall to them in the first couple of rounds. It's a position like QB, TE, and RB that I don't worry about too much.

Solder--Mankins--Wendell--Connelly--Cannon

McDonald, Thomas, (free agent OR draft pick for interior), and one of Zusevics/Hix would make up the 9 that should all be favored to make the 53 man roster.

I think that we can get by with only ONE addition from either a veteran FA pickup, or a draftee, assuming that we re-sign Thomas.

I agree with that starting OL and the 9. Unless you have a turnstile at RT (Wayne Hunter Jet days), any average T will do just fine there.

Its like what Deus says about convergence between need and opportunity. This years draft is crazy deep at WR and deep at S, its not like we'd be reaching for need. Drafting Tavon Wilson was classic reaching for need though.

Well I made a semi serious mock in the draft forum about only drafting DB's and WR's so I acknowledge where you and Deus are coming from. But if someone with an elite skillset is available like Jonathan Cooper and his athleticism, I think it would be foolish to pass on it because you'd likely be regretting it in two or three years time.

First I expect us to trade out of the first and for Cooper to be drafted even before #29. However, you are correct. We'd likely not draft and him; and yes, we might very well regret no drafting him.

Well I made a semi serious mock in the draft forum about only drafting DB's and WR's so I acknowledge where you and Deus are coming from. But if someone with an elite skillset is available like Jonathan Cooper and his athleticism, I think it would be foolish to pass on it because you'd likely be regretting it in two or three years time.

Solder - Mankins - Wendell - Connolly - Cannon...

...scare the hell outta me.

I'm not in favor of paying SeaBass 4 years/$35M either, but Cannon would need more help at RG
than Connolly, who is a better Center than Wendell.

As Manx said earlier, if another David DeCastro falls on our lap at 29, Bill needs to do the smart thing
this time and draft the stud interior lineman of the future. Who knows, maybe he & Skippy & Brady
might actually call running plays on 3rd//2 during AFCCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back