PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Prioritizing Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
A) We have very limited resources this year, given our needs. And yes, I know that we will add to the free agency monies by restructures and extensions. But still, we have two positions that have ONE player we can count on: cornerback and wide receiver.

OFFENSE
B) We need to take care of business and re-sign Edelman, Woodhead and Thomas. These three are valuable parts of our team. Hooman should be re-signed or tendered; the TE position is crucial to us, and ALL of our TE's have injury histories.

C) We need to find wide receivers. We start with Lloyd and Edelman. Certainly one approach is to sign one or two midlevel (or one top level receiver), our usual half-dozen JAG's, and one draftee. That would give us Lloyd, free agent, Edelman, draftee, free agent (or Ebert), Slater. The trick is to act quickly in free agency, and likely overpay a bit.

D) We can sign a backup OT, as always, or perhaps even a potentially starting RT.

E) We'll bring in a DL or two, as we always do.

F) The above is doable. This is pretty much business as usual. In the end, we hope that the increase in production from our top youngsters (hopefully who are more healthy this year) will offset the loss of Welker and Vollmer.

DEFENSE

G) Let's take care of business and re-sign Arrington and Cole. We can look to upgrade after the middle of March. They are adequate nickel and dime backs respectively (along with the possibility of Dowling contributing in those roles).

H) Why are we panicking at SAFETY? We have McCourty who is a fine free safety. We have Gregory and Wilson competing for reps. Wilson looked OK last year. He may be ready to start, or not. This is certainly not our weakest position. SURE, we need an addition, but we may already have our long-term starters. Depending on how Belichick evaluates Wilson, we should consider drafting and/or signing a free agent safety. But this is a MINOR resource issue. Given what is available in the draft, and the fact that we have McCourty and Wilson, a
signing of a top safety is just not prudent.

I) We could use a LINEBACKER. However, I would prefer to see how Hightower develops. We do need a 4th linebacker. In any case, this again is not a high-priority use of resources.

J) PANIC and/or FOCUS on the CORNER position.
If we have taken care of business, we have Dennard, Arrington, Cole, Dowling and Williams.
To me, we are short TWO CORNERS, and corners are expensive. Personally, I would tag Talib, sign a mid-level corner and sign a couple of JAG's for camp competition.

K) So, what about the DL? We may not have resources to help much. A top DE pass-rusher is top TEN material. A top DT pass rusher should be top 20. Free agents are also expensive.
We've added Armstead and Vega. I'm fine with drafting a DL with our first or second pick, but I suspect that WR and DB's will be much higher on our priority list when the draft comes. Besides, DL quality comes higher in the first round.

BOTTOM LINE

TAG Talib.

RE-SIGN Edelman, Woodhead, Thomas, Hooman, Arrington and Cole. We would then be ready to start free agency.

SIGN MORE THAN ONE FREE AGENTS at corner and wide receiver.

SIGN FREE AGENTS at backup OT, backup S, and backup ILB.

DRAFT priorities will change based on free agency. The top picks are likely to be wide receivers and defensive backs, UNLESS a top pass-rusher is somehow available.

Ravens 28 Patriots 13

Would a late 1st/2nd round OL or spending significant cap on OL changed that score? No.

Would a late 1st/2nd round DL (DE or DT) or spending significant cap on DL changed that score? No.

Would a late 1st/2nd round WR or spending significant cap on WR changed that score? Yes.

Would a late 1st/2nd round S or spending significant cap on S changed that score? Yes.

Would a late 1st/2nd round CB or spending significant cap on CB changed that score? Yes.

Terrance Williams, Johnathan Cyprien, Johnathan Banks help us win that game. Johnathan Cooper, D.J, Fluker, Datone Jones, not so much.

Ravens 28 Patriots 13

Would a late 1st/2nd round OL or spending significant cap on OL changed that score? No.

Would a late 1st/2nd round DL (DE or DT) or spending significant cap on DL changed that score? No.

Would a late 1st/2nd round WR or spending significant cap on WR changed that score? Yes.

Would a late 1st/2nd round S or spending significant cap on S changed that score? Yes.

Would a late 1st/2nd round CB or spending significant cap on CB changed that score? Yes.

Healthy Gronkowski,Talib, drafted wr or two,safety would help out quite a bit.

You ask strange questions. Of course, no draft draft choice this year would change last year's score. The draft is about the future. You remind me of celtic fans of old who devoted the offseason to be able to beat the team they lost to. Well it doesn't quite work that way in the nil. Figure out how to beat BALT and we will need to beat DEN, HOU and PITT next year.

There is almost no question that our top two priorities as of now are at WR and CB. You believe that the need at S is on a par with these two. We will likely draft or pick up a safety, but we do have two starters and a solid backup, hardly the same urgency as wide receiver and corner.

============================================
It is interesting that you put the straw man of the OL first. But, I do not believe that the OL is as good without Vollmer and Thomas, and yes, I do believe that this turns into points. BTW, I accept that Vollmer should be gone. Signing a backup RT and OG (Thomas isn't exactly spending a lot on the OL.

If you think that we shouldn't draft a DL for the future, you are free to that opinion. The following are on their contract year: Ninkovich, Deaderick and Cunningham.

Ravens 28 Patriots 13

Sounds like you wanna resign JAGs and tag Talib. I agree with keeping Talib since the team needs playmakers not JAGs. That's about it though.

Ravens 28 Patriots 13

Terrance Williams, Johnathan Cyprien, Johnathan Banks help us win that game. Johnathan Cooper, D.J, Fluker, Datone Jones, not so much.

So you are saying that an improved running game and a pass rush wouldn't have helped win that game? I'm afraid I disagree.

And more importantly, I don't want a draft designed to win a game that's already taken place. I want a draft that improves us for the next 5-8 years.

Hooman should be re-signed or tendered; the TE position is crucial to us, and ALL of our TE's have injury histories.

Would rather get someone like Kyle Juszczyk out of Harvard. If we want a fourth TE, we should get someone who can either a.) block or b.) catch.

The following are on their contract year: Ninkovich, Deaderick and Cunningham.

Is Love also one of those on his contract year too? I thought that I remembered both Love/Deaderick this year but I could be wrong.

Would rather get someone like Kyle Juszczyk out of Harvard. If we want a fourth TE, we should get someone who can either a.) block or b.) catch.

How about both? Just a thought :)

I'm also seeing the love for Hooman a bit overrated, although that may also depend on what the future plans for Fells are too.

H) Why are we panicking at SAFETY? We have McCourty who is a fine free safety. We have Gregory and Wilson competing for reps. Wilson looked OK last year. He may be ready to start, or not. This is certainly not our weakest position. SURE, we need an addition, but we may already have our long-term starters. Depending on how Belichick evaluates Wilson, we should consider drafting and/or signing a free agent safety. But this is a MINOR resource issue. Given what is available in the draft, and the fact that we have McCourty and Wilson, a
signing of a top safety is just not prudent...

Wilson sucked
Chung sucked
Ebner sucked
Gregory showed, yet again, that he's not starting caliber

Pretty simple, really. The team needs a legitimate starting safety by the time the playoffs come around, and this is a good year for safeties in the draft.

Sorry, just meant that I have little use for a player that can do neither. Obviously both would be optimal :)

Juszczyk would be an ideal Hooman replacement. Has really nice soft hands and proved he could block at the Senior Bowl...and in this outstanding TE draft class, should be easily available in the 7th.

BOTTOM LINE

TAG Talib.

Not just no, but hell no

RE-SIGN Edelman, Woodhead, Thomas, Hooman, Arrington and Cole. We would then be ready to start free agency.

Cole and Uhoh are back end signings that can be replaced with pretty much anyone. Edelman and Woodhead are only worth bringing back if they're coming back on the cheap, and the overrated Thomas is quite possibly going to price himself out of the Patriots range. Sure, bring them all back, but none of them are essentials. And I love what Woodhead brings to the team.

SIGN MORE THAN ONE FREE AGENTS at corner and wide receiver.

Pretty much a given, especially if you're not tagging Talib or Welker

SIGN FREE AGENTS at backup OT, backup S, and backup ILB.

The team has enough backup safeties, and the linebacker need is a coverage back.

DRAFT priorities will change based on free agency. The top picks are likely to be wide receivers and defensive backs, UNLESS a top pass-rusher is somehow available.

Unless Reggie White redux is available, D-line shouldn't even be thought of in the first two rounds.

You ask strange questions. Of course, no draft draft choice this year would change last year's score. The draft is about the future. You remind me of celtic fans of old who devoted the offseason to be able to beat the team they lost to. Well it doesn't quite work that way in the nil. Figure out how to beat BALT and we will need to beat DEN, HOU and PITT next year.

There is almost no question that our top two priorities as of now are at WR and CB. You believe that the need at S is on a par with these two. We will likely draft or pick up a safety, but we do have two starters and a solid backup, hardly the same urgency as wide receiver and corner.

============================================
It is interesting that you put the straw man of the OL first. But, I do not believe that the OL is as good without Vollmer and Thomas, and yes, I do believe that this turns into points. BTW, I accept that Vollmer should be gone. Signing a backup RT and OG (Thomas isn't exactly spending a lot on the OL.

If you think that we shouldn't draft a DL for the future, you are free to that opinion. The following are on their contract year: Ninkovich, Deaderick and Cunningham.

The Steelers and Ravens will be the same type of teams. If we reach the SB it'll probably be the 49ers or Seahawks, defensive teams.

2012 AFCCG, 2011 SB, 2010 Divisional. All the same. Play tight defense and clog the middle of the field, as noone will beat you deep. A scrubendary that gives up 80 yard+ drives but is blamed on the pass rush. All these games are lost in the same fashion.

When the hell was the last time the Patriots lost a game due to their OL? Do we really have to go all the way back to 2009 or even SB42?

The Steelers and Ravens will be the same type of teams. If we reach the SB it'll probably be the 49ers or Seahawks, defensive teams.

2012 AFCCG, 2011 SB, 2010 Divisional. All the same. Play tight defense and clog the middle of the field, as noone will beat you deep. A scrubendary that gives up 80 yard+ drives but is blamed on the pass rush. All these games are lost in the same fashion.

When the hell was the last time the Patriots lost a game due to their OL? Due we really have to go all the way back to 2009 or even SB42?

I don't think it's too high for the current season of priorities, but he may feel that it still should be included at the same time. Either way, we'll likely need to try and re-sign Thomas and an additional OT, unless one is drafted, so I am assuming that is why he included them.

Thomas probably is overrated by many, but in 7 games he only gave up one sack, and it also seemed that his run blocking was successful enough to warrant a return on a reasonably cheap deal, if that is a possibility.

So you are saying that an improved running game and a pass rush wouldn't have helped win that game? I'm afraid I disagree.

And more importantly, I don't want a draft designed to win a game that's already taken place. I want a draft that improves us for the next 5-8 years.

Our running game was 17th in the league at 4.2 YPC, 7th in yardage. That's good enough with an average tailback that can't take advantage of nickel defenses, I don't see how the OL can be improved to fix that.

Jones was drafted to be the 14-16 sack All-Pro. Ninkovich is one of the best 2nd rushers in the league. We got Armstead. Francis is developing. I don't see the need.

Our running game was 17th in the league at 4.2 YPC, 7th in yardage. That's good enough with an average tailback that can't take advantage of nickel defenses, I don't see how the OL can be improved to fix that.

Jones was drafted to be the 14-16 sack All-Pro. Ninkovich is one of the best 2nd rushers in the league. We got Armstead. Francis is developing. I don't see the need.

I just don't like the idea of drafting for immediate need. It means you're reaching and not maximising value. Use FA to fill need. Use the draft to keep the pipeline flowing.

I don't think it's too high for the current season of priorities, but he may feel that it still should be included at the same time. Either way, we'll likely need to try and re-sign Thomas and an additional OT, unless one is drafted, so I am assuming that is why he included them.

Thomas probably is overrated by many, but in 7 games he only gave up one sack, and it also seemed that his run blocking was successful enough to warrant a return on a reasonably cheap deal, if that is a possibility.

I'm probably too nonchalant about OL going into the offseason, but I'm fine with just bringing in vet mins/UDFAs. Regarding the starting RT spot, let Cannon/Zusevics fight out for the spot. Trust the Dante.

McCourty is our starting free safety. He has found a position.

Gregory is fine as our #3 safety.

Wilson was not as good as Gregory last year, in his rookie year.

Ebner is a special teamer.

Chung is gone.

I agree that we need a safety to compete with Wilson and Gregory for reps.

And as I have told others, given the quality of the draft, we should draft a safety in the top three rounds.

Wilson sucked
Chung sucked
Ebner sucked
Gregory showed, yet again, that he's not starting caliber

Pretty simple, really. The team needs a legitimate starting safety by the time the playoffs come around, and this is a good year for safeties in the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes