PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Priorities into next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do. At the beginning of the season, Stallworth was a perfect complement to Welker's underneath routes and Moss's deep stuff. Idj what happened though.
Gaffney's certainly not following up last year's progress though. He's dropping balls when he is open, and isn't physically gifted enough to be considered a solid #2 on an offense of this caliber, imho.

Even still, if the core of the team gets solidified on offense, then it might not be as big of a deal.

Gaff and Moss had equally dismal days yesterday. That aside, Gaffney hasn't been a major liability since the Colts the game, imo. If a cheap WR can compete and take away Gaff's job, fine. If Ocho Cinco (lol) can get signed up, super. Otherwise, I have no problem with his skills, esp with Tom coming back.

Was going to post a topic on this last night but just, well, never. IMO there are alot of positives, but negatives that hurt us and it can't be done in one off-season alone but we must try to fill these needs on D otherwise Brady is going to have to keep us in games next season. IMO the question marks are here....

----------------------Meriweather(fs or ss)----------------------
-------------------------------?????----------------------------
---------------Vrabel(?)--Mayo---?????--Thomas----------------
--Hobbs/Wheatley----Seymour--Wilfork--Warren-----------?????--

DB's are the big issue, pass rush or no pass rush it's clear we need effective players at corner and safety. Harrison is probrably done, Sanders is backup at best and we only really have the potential of Brandon there to say look at and say ok, we can run with that. At corner I'd let Hobbs and Wheatley fight it out for the #2 spot and hopefully find some quality for the other side because O'Neal, like Sanders is just just a decent player but offers nothing more.

At LB I put a mark next to Vrabel because the guy isn't getting any younger and I wondered if we belive he can provide that effective rush anymore. He was fantastic last season but seems to have had a more inconsistant year so far. Crable is coming through so do we run with those two next year and maybe develop Shawn? SILB is a potential need because we have inexperience there, even with Teddy. Guyton is coming on but I'd feel easier with a little more there or maybe move Thomas back inside. I prefer Thomas outside but if we can add another rusher there and move him inside I think it's more than effective.

The offensive side of the ball is just a case of getting Brady healthy again I think and if an opertunity comes up to add more talent at say Tackle, TE and Reciever thats a bonus. Theres not as much worry there as there is on D.

Thats my opinion anyways. :)

Jabar Gaffney will not on this Team next year...bet on it! And i get the feeling that BB has finally grown weary of No Dimension Ben Watson. They are so many Day 2 TE's who have made names for themselves instead of this Former usle less First Rounder. Welker will not last if we dont get a TE who can shoulder the load. No little guy should take such beating over the middle it takes its toll. BB we NEED A TE WHO CAN CATCH A OCCASIONAL PASS OVER THE MIDDLE!:mad:

Last edited:
Get rid of:
Bruschi, Vrabel, Maroney, Hobbs, O'Neal, Woods, Eric Alexander, Aiken, Slater

Draft:
1st round: CB
2nd round: O-tackle, OLB
3rd round: TE

And i get the feeling that BB has finally grown weary of No Dimension Ben Watson. They are so many Day 2 TE's who have made names for themselves instead of this Former usle less First Rounder.

What gave you this feeling? His 65 of 67 offensive snaps yesterday? With Dave Thomas nipping at his heels with 17 snaps on the day, I guess he should be feeling pretty nervous about his future with the team...

What we need is for Tom Brady to be at 100% to start the season. I there any doubt that, even with all the other injuries, we would be favored to be in the AFC Championship Game at this point with Tom Brady healthy.
======================================

As always we have off-season priorities.

2008-2009
Going into this year, the priorities were at LB and corner. We had severe holes at those positions. We filled with Mayo, Guyton, Redd, Wheatley, Wilhite, O'Neal, Webster, and Lew Sanders. I'd say we did pretty well. With Brady healthy, we'd be talking Super Bowl. The school is out on our corners, but development sometimes takes time.

2009 offseason

A) A healthy Tom Brady
To repeat, I'm not trying to be funny. I think that we would talking Super Bowl right now with a healthy Tom Brady. We would think that we are the best in the AFC. Others would be debating. So, we do not need to rebuild. We just need to do what we have done every year since Belichick has arrived, look to the future, reload and go forward.

1) GUARD
This is a serious need. None of our guards are signed beyond 2009. We need to develop a guard or two or three. Mankins, Neal, Yates all have contracts through 2009, Hochstein through 2008. One also needs to be our backup center. Obviously, this need can be best solved through extensions of existing players.

2) DEFENSIVE LINE
The need depends on the prospects for extending Seymour, Wilfork, Green and Wright. The first three are signed through 2009, Wright through 2008. This is biggest open roster issue over the next year and a half.

3) TIGHT END
We'll draft the first tight end available to us in the draft that Belichick thinks fits our system. We need help.

4)SAFETY
We have Meriweather, Spann, Dillard and perhaps Tank Williams. Obviously this is a position of highest need. I would note that if we re-sign Sanders, this is still a need, but not a huge one. On further review, perhaps if need be we can find safeties in free agency.

5) #3 WIDE RECEIVER
I'm from the "just re-sign Gaffney" school on this one. In the alternative, we can sign a free agent or two to compete for the spot and perhasps with a late round draftee. We still have Aiken and Washington as fine #4 and #5. We also have Slater and Ventrone.

=========================
Sure, we also need upgrades at corner and a backup ILB. Every team in the league could use a shutdown corner and an all-pro passrusher.

I think we are already started to address the next year priorities right now

1)Guyton and mayo in alot they seem a bit lost in coverage but look for them to improve more.

2)woods and redd are getting play time .

3)Sadly one rookie cb ended in IR but they are playing the other 1 and richardson more.we need to get some decent play next year.

4)safety merriweather and sanders are holding up. i think keeping merriweather more in FS is keeping him health as sanders is more bigger and stronger in the box.when harrison went down i hoped they would not put merriweather in the box and ding him up like last year.

we are seeing alot of young guys out their in defence , if you except all to improve we are going to be in better shape.

1 good CB and 3 more LB will be ready for next year.

Last edited:
In my opinion the first priority should be to address the (lack of) pressure on the opposing QB. Regardless of whether it's taken care of in the draft or free agency, that to me is the biggest concern. It has a domino effect because it means the secondary has to cover the receivers longer, there are less turnovers due to forced or hurried throws, the opposing offense converts more third downs as the QB can wait for somebody to get open, the defense wears down from not being able to get off the field, etc. As much as we point fingers at the secondary, bringing in new corners won't improve the defense if the opposing QB has all day long to make a pass.

I would put Safety at the top of the List. Mays from USC would fit the Bill
even it we use 2 picks.

It sucks because Phillips went to the Giants at what should have been our 2nd First round pick last year.

We would be crossing S off the to do list.

If we can get 4 picks in the first 2 rounds and have 2 starters and 2 solid back ups we will be in good shape.

Lets just say a Starting S and CB

And a back up OT and and DL

Those all push our already decent player to backup roles.

Trade of Cassel Nets us 1 more starter. Lions (Dallas 1st Round Pick)

I suppose you think they would rather try and draft a QB again.

2 Free Agent Pick ups. OLB and a CB

Draft a decent TE anywhere. Or trade a 2nd rounder for Gonzalez and skip a backup somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes