Welcome to PatsFans.com

Prince Barack--Affirmative Action

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Harry Boy, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +988 / 2 / -9

The Messiah Prince Barack will probably get America into a lot of trouble with his left wing policy's but this is probably one of the good things about him.

Affirmative Action is a cruel degrading insult to all Americans, it must be a terrible feeling that first day on your new job to realize the only reason they hired you was because of the color of your skin, affirmative action may have been justified 40 years ago but now it is degrading, cruel and an insult to all Black Americans.

Todays News:
    Already weakened by several court rulings and state referendums, affirmative action now confronts a challenge to its very reason for existing. If Americans make a black person the leading contender for president, as nationwide polls suggest, how can racial prejudice be so prevalent and potent that it justifies special efforts to place minorities in coveted jobs and schools?

"The primary rationale for affirmative action is that America is institutionally racist and institutionally sexist," said Ward Connerly, the leader of state-by-state efforts to end what he and others consider policies of reverse discrimination. "That rationale is undercut in a major way when you look at the success of Senator Clinton and Senator Obama." Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York battled Obama to the end of the Democratic primary process.
    http://www.bostonherald.com/news/2008/view.bg?articleid=1103935

2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +490 / 20 / -17

Politics is an area where enlightenment happens early. In Scandinavia, for instance, women hold near majorities in politics, but still lag behind in terms of corporate positions. Other areas where people of color have achieved equality, in large part thanks to people like Sharpton, Jackson, and other activists, are police, firemen, teachers, etc.

Check out this search on Google images for "Board of Directors." Do you notice anything interesting about it?

http://images.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&q="board of directors"&btnG=Search Images

3. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Is it because politics is an area you can more easily get in and out of...put in a lot or a little time once you're in, so it makes it easier to have a family life (be a mother) than being a mid-level VP or so?
    I have no idea, I'm just tossing it out as a question.

And yeah, thanks to Jackson women are firefighters. :rolleyes:

Funny story. When I was in college, the city my college was in was in the midst of one of those PC 'must hire this many women' moves. So they run the tests, hire some women, and then find that the women they hired couldn't pass the various fitness and strength tests. But because the City Council had mandated this many female firefighters by this date, the department lowered the standards so the women could pass. This of course pissed off all the men, and rightly so, as their very lives depended on some of this stuff--so the men rumbled about striking, and it got very complicated.

Now--in fairness--I know many departments where men and women have to pass the same standards, and I personally know some women who've spent literally years training to pass the test.

I also know several female police officers, and IMO in many cases they make better cops--in my experience they tend to listen more and be calmer influences.

None of which has any bearing on Harry's post. And it's interesting, Patters. A few months ago you were agreeing that if BHO got the nomination it would be quite a powerful indication, now you're trying to compare it to women in politics in Sweden or Norway or somewhere?

Why can't you just say that America's come a long way, there's still work to do, but the country's come a long way?

4. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +116 / 10 / -15

#37 Jersey

Google NBA players.

http://images.google.com/images?q=nba%20players&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

Are blacks better at basketball? Or do they just take more interest in Basketball? Should the NBA have white affirmative action?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  5. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

6. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +490 / 20 / -17

I think you need to compare the way corporate boards and the NBA recruit. Corporate boards are often made up of cronies who happen to have a lot of money and who have wealthy friends who invest. They often include people from the landed elite, i.e., people from families that made their money before discrimination was considered wrong, thus not only are blacks excluded, so are women to a large degree. You should read about how corporate boards and NBA players are chosen before making a comparison.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  7. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +988 / 2 / -9

Basketball:
    There are Black teenage kids playing basketball in the playgrounds of Boston, Chicago and Detroit who make professional White players look like fools with their "moves", but your not supposed to mention it.

Boston Marathon

8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +711 / 20 / -30

thought you were not supposed to mention it, remember what Bambi's mother said..

9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +838 / 7 / -3

A google search for images. HAHAHA!!! Pretty scientific. That's not surprising considering your forum search for key words thread. :rofl:

While I understand the concept, and logic used to make the case against AA, should Obama win, I don't agree with it. AA is dsicrimination in it's purest form, but IMO, it's a necessary evil. That a single person of color is elected to a singular position of president, shouldn't abolish a policy that is desigend to help the masses. We're just not at that point, even if Obama were to become president. I think it would serve to put the hammer and nail in sight though.

10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +838 / 7 / -3

MLB has a program where they try to get black kids involved in baseball. Anyone remember the articles in the news about how the percentage of black ball players was dropping, and something needed to be done about it? Well, where I can understand it, I can't help but wonder what people would say if there was an outcry for the NBA to help get more white people into it's league. I couldn't care less personally, but from a political/PC POV, as Freedom Williams once said, it made me go hmmmm....:D

11. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +988 / 2 / -9

Why are the fans attending an NBA game 99.9% WHITE----:confused:

The players are 99.9% BLACK.

12. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Because none of the poor downtrodden black people can afford the tickets, only the rich white dominating class who get rich off the backs of the poor black people can afford to go.

Haven't you been paying attention?

How's that, Patters?
    :D

13. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +511 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

That's actually a valid and very interesting point R-dub.

14. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +511 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

You hit the nail on the head and drove it home with one crushing swing of the hammer.

How's that?