PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Price: Pats could end up near tops of league in two-a-days

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's good. They need it, they deserve it after last year. I hope most of these sessions focus on the mental aspect of the game, situational football and the like. This team didn't suck last year. It just sucked when they played a good team, had to make a play, when the 4th quarter came, etc. All situational, mental things.

You know the 03 squad is the poster child probably for any team ever of mental toughness. They weren't a great team. They were a great defense, mixed with smart as fox players that made that team great. The training camp videos you see the most from those times is Belichick preaching, absolutely pounding situational football down their throats.

I don't know if hes gotten away from it or what but where the hell was it last year

What a load of crap!

The 2003 and 2004 patriots were among the greatest teams ever to play in the nfl (as was the 2007 patriots).

You have already noted the defense was great. I would match the OFFENSE against the 2010 offense any day. And just BTW, I believe that we have one of the top 5 offenses in the league this year.

QB Brady
RB Dillon, Faulk
WR Branch, Brown, Patten, Givens, Johnson (kr)
TE Graham, Fauria
OL Light, Andruzzi, Koppen, Neal, Gorin, Hochstein, Yates

And it was not Belichick yelling at them in two a days that made this group a great offense. IMHO, it was talent, leadership and coaching that made this group a great offense.

You know the 03 squad is the poster child probably for any team ever of mental toughness. They weren't a great team. They were a great defense, mixed with smart as fox players that made that team great. The training camp videos you see the most from those times is Belichick preaching, absolutely pounding situational football down their throats.

I don't know if hes gotten away from it or what but where the hell was it last year

Given:

A.) The number of rookies and 2nd year players

B.) The coaching changes

C.) The inconsistent and, often, shoddy play of last season

D.) BB's famous policy of staggering rests for veterans

I hope the Patriots use ever single allowed practice, with the exception of the "good job" cancellation, no matter how many two-a-days that required.

Last edited:
We should have as many two a days as required. As you say, this is especially needed for 1st and 2nd year players (and guys like Wheatley and Crable). However the vets do NOT need two a days, especially the running backs. Or perhaps the running backs should be worked harder because of their shoddy 2009 play????????

BTW, I strongly disagree that players should be pounished for last year's play. Who should be punished for their play while injured? Brady? Mayo? What about Watson, Baker, and Thomas?

Given:

B.) The coaching changes

I hope the Patriots use ever single allowed practice, with the exception of the "good job" cancellation, no matter how many two-a-days that required.

We should have as many two a days as required. As you say, this is especially needed for 1st and 2nd year players (and guys like Wheatley and Crable). However the vets do NOT need two a days, especially the running backs. Or perhaps the running backs should be worked harder because of their shoddy 2009 play????????

BTW, I strongly disagree that players should be pounished for last year's play. Who should be punished for their play while injured? Brady? Mayo? What about Watson, Baker, and Thomas?

:confused:

I never mentioned punishment, so I'm not sure where that's coming from on your end.......... And, yes, inconsistent and/or shoddy play by a team should lead to more practice time for that team, as a general rule. That's not punishment. That's attempting to improve.

Last edited:
I'm all for hard work and being prepared for the season but they better not be run into the ground before week 1.

Here's hoping we don't end up with a bunch of rookies and veterans on IR and PUP at the end of these sessions.

But I am all for the players getting reps at the positions to infuse the new blood and get everybody on the same page for the season. If they are ready to go early, take some time off and rest up.

That's good. They need it, they deserve it after last year. I hope most of these sessions focus on the mental aspect of the game, situational football and the like. This team didn't suck last year. It just sucked when they played a good team, had to make a play, when the 4th quarter came, etc. All situational, mental things.

I agree, but if I had to hazard a guess I'd say that the change last year had nothing to do with Belichick, and everything to do with the makeup of the players and coaches. He's dealing with younger guys than he had in 2003, and perhaps more importantly he no longer has caliber of assistants around that he used to. The talent drain on the Pats' coaching ranks over the years has been pretty brutal.

Last edited:
Good stuff. The team is going to need all the practice that they can possibly get. However, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't we near the top of the league in two-a-days last year as well?

Good stuff. The team is going to need all the practice that they can possibly get. However, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't we near the top of the league in two-a-days last year as well?

I seem to remember Reiss pointing that out during the preseason. I believe they started off with eight straight two-a-days. This year it looks like seven are scheduled in a row at the beginning of camp.

Yeah they were, as I remember. You can only coach up mediocrity- and players who don't want the coaching- so far, and that was last years team.

Hopefully this years talent pool is better and maybe even more importantly - open to being coached in the first place.

I agreed with all your reasons except for 2009 inconsistency and shoddy play. The solution foir that is firing or demotuion in the depth chart. I believe that it is "punishment" to have two a days because last year's squad was inconsistent or shoddy in certain areas of play.

What areas did you have in mind? Personally, I would agree that the redzone offense needs much work, but that doesn't require more two a days.

The youngsters need the extra work. The veterans don't.

:confused:

I never mentioned punishment, so I'm not sure where that's coming from on your end.......... And, yes, inconsistent and/or shoddy play by a team should lead to more practice time for that team, as a general rule. That's not punishment. That's attempting to improve.

I agreed with all your reasons except for 2009 inconsistency and shoddy play. The solution foir that is firing or demotuion in the depth chart. I believe that it is "punishment" to have two a days because last year's squad was inconsistent or shoddy in certain areas of play.

What areas did you have in mind? Personally, I would agree that the redzone offense needs much work, but that doesn't require more two a days.

The youngsters need the extra work. The veterans don't.

When you've got a team that demonstrates communications problems to the extent that defensive backs are running into one another and the coaching staff needs to dumb down the playbook, you need to spend a lot more time on the field working out the kinks. It's the sort of problem that requires both a greater familiarity with the playbook and more reps on the field. When you add rookies to that mix, you increase the need for reps.

Also, two-a-days aren't punishment. Running sprints until people are tossing their cookies, and then running some more.... that's punishment.

Aaah, now comes the real issue, and I agree with you. The team has addressed the redzone issue and the tight end issue, but what have they done about the issue of communication in the secondary?

Why exactly was it that we had only one player last year capable of calling signals in the secondary? When James Sanders was out, it was a disaster. Meriweather has indicated just how much the secondary depends on the signal calling of Sanders. I agree that this is a serious issue. A couple of others need to be capable of adequately calling signals.

When you've got a team that demonstrates communications problems to the extent that defensive backs are running into one another and the coaching staff needs to dumb down the playbook, you need to spend a lot more time on the field working out the kinks. It's the sort of problem that requires both a greater familiarity with the playbook and more reps on the field. When you add rookies to that mix, you increase the need for reps.

Also, two-a-days aren't punishment. Running sprints until people are tossing their cookies, and then running some more.... that's punishment.

Agreed 100%.

Given:

B.) The coaching changes

"Good job" cancellation #1 this morning.

“It gives us a little time to catch up on film and some meetings, and just clean up a few things,” Belichick explained. “I feel like the players are working hard. We’ve had a lot of contact. We felt like this was probably the best thing we could do for our team this morning.”

Belichick on rest, Brace & more - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

I like it. Carrot and stick. You teach them, "you don't like two a days? Running til you drop!?" Well then START WINNING and it will end.

I hope they have two a days during regular season every time they lose a game.

I also disagree with a previous poster that the veterans "don't need it". The veterans were the guys who let a little mouse of a guy named Ray Rice slice them for an instant touchdown! They are the ones who look asleep when it's time to passrush (although the scheme certainly deserves some of the blame).

So I think it's a good idea. I wonder if they do "indian runs" like we had in high school...where the team lines up and does kind of a "moving spring" where you highstep over the bodies of the players lying down in front of you (spaced about 1 yard apart) and then as you the player clears all the players lies down in back of the last one. We used to do those for hundreds of yards, very fun, very exhausting, and kind of funny as inevitably players would get tired, trip over someone on the ground and come crashing down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes