Welcome to PatsFans.com

Price: Pats close with Brace

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by pats1, Jul 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

2. Christopher_Price

Christopher_Price Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

3. farn

farn Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Question : is Brace ready for prime time like some are hoping ? Or will he always be a suporting cast type à la Jarvis Green - productive, but never quite cream of the crop ?

It seems as though, considering the position he plays vs where he was drafted, it would be unrealistic to think he'll blossom into a superstar. Long story short, what can a fan realistically expect from R. Brace in coming years ?
  4. slash83

slash83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

For the teams sake he better be good since hes probably going to be our starting NT next season.
  5. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +519 / 3 / -7

#24 Jersey

I think you obviously raise a very good question, one most of us will be anxious to find the answer to. I think it's hard to project at this early of a stage though, IMO. I think either one of your scenarios would be an asset to the DL, as that will always be the major piece of the defensive puzzle.

I think we'll see some decent plays here and there in camp and preseason games, here's hoping he makes a great start.
  6. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Question 1: Nope, he's a rookie and will need a little seasoning even if he winds up starting.

2: You obviously understand that productive isn't bad, but can he grow (figuratively for his health's sake) into another Ted Washington? I'd say it's not impossible. Pat Williams in Minnesota is considered one of the beasts of the DT pool and he's not your pass rushing type either.

3. I think a realistic expectation is a solid run stuffing citizen in the middle, he will be able to force double teams and he'll be hard to shift, that should free up Mayo & Co. to find the RB's crease and close the door before he's through. Expect Big Vince to have fresh legs heading into the playoffs, Brace will help keep him from wearing down and can also allow Vince to give Sey or Ty a blow at DE too. We can also expect that games where NE wants to really shut down the middle will be interesting to watch with Vince and Ron "bracing" the middle.
  7. patfanken

patfanken On the Roster

Ratings:
    +404 / 13 / -8

#91 Jersey

I'll be interested to see how much, if any DE he plays in the pre season. I don't know what kind of an athlete this kid is. If they play him some out at the DE I'll be very happy because it will show they think he's a better athlete, and is more than just a rock in the middle of the defense.
  8. farn

farn Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#2 - I think BB would rather get a decent, productive, "do the things I ask you to do right" type of player - even in the second round, than hope for a homerun.

#3 - If Brace does that, I know it'd be enough for me to be pleased with his performance. BB has been quite good at the DL, with M. Hill (RIP) seemingly being a rare miss.
  9. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

#2: Matt Light, it can be done.

#3: [​IMG]
  10. farn

farn Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

But I saw that Raiders-wanted-Brace-column... Lotsa love for Brace after the draft. Why didn't they jump on the chance to get him when he was on the board ? People thought he'd last longer because he's not all Hollywood bravado ?

Also - love for Vollmer (after initial WTFs)... why wasn't he invited to the combine ?

Is the bottom line just that the draft - even with all the info and gametapes and mesurables - is still just an educated crapshoot ?
  11. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

As Troy Brown might say... ;)
  12. BadMoFo

BadMoFo Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Looks like its done.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2009/07/brace_on_board.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.