PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Price: Giants Struggle against the No-huddle

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOWTIME15

No asterisks
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
patriots - What we learned Thursday: No-huddle for Patriots? No chance for Giants defense - WEEI | Christopher Price

IMO one of the most overlooked factors for this Super Bowl. Giants love to rotate their d-line to get fresh bodies to rush the passer. Of course they will be limited in doing this if the pats go no-huddle.

One of the biggest head scratchers for me was, why the pats didn't run the no-huddle when they played the giants in week 9? the giants struggled against the no huddle against the seahawks a few weeks earlier. To me it was a no brainer, but the coaching staff obviously thought differently.

patriots - What we learned Thursday: No-huddle for Patriots? No chance for Giants defense - WEEI | Christopher Price

IMO one of the most overlooked factors for this Super Bowl. Giants love to rotate their d-line to get fresh bodies to rush the passer. Of course they will be limited in doing this if the pats go no-huddle.

One of the biggest head scratchers for me was, why the pats didn't run the no-huddle when they played the giants in week 9? the giants struggled against the no huddle against the seahawks a few weeks earlier. To me it was a no brainer, but the coaching staff obviously thought differently.

I've watched this game over and over and asked myself the same thing. We didnt start the no-huddle till the end of the 4th quarter and we started scoring like crazy. We have to incorporate the no-huddle throughout the game especially with the Giants making substitutions.

Keep them on their toes with quick screens to Woodhead and quick releases to deter the pass rush. If the Giants can't get to Brady... they are dead.

I'm sure the dwarfs have tried to prepare for it, but you can't coach weight. If the Pats ran a lot out of the no huddle against the giants pass rushers they'ed wear down pretty fast. It would also set up PA

I hope the giants have hired better trainers to teach their defense how to fake injuries better. Do you think they installed this on Wednesday or are they going over it today?

How many times would a fake inury need to happen before a ref called them out on it? I'd say it'd take more than 5 injuries during no-huddle for them to take notice.

Pats were worried about pass protection and decided to run the ball a bit with an extra blocker. Once they fell behind they decided to spread out and go no huddle and the Giants D was also tired a bit. They can certainly try no huddle but if they go 3 and out or dont complete the passes early on it can really put our D in a tough spot. They key is like the Pats do is to switch to no huddle midway during the drives when they find favorable matchups.

I'm sure the dwarfs have tried to prepare for it, but you can't coach weight. If the Pats ran a lot out of the no huddle against the giants pass rushers they'ed wear down pretty fast. It would also set up PA

Well..they tried vs the ravens too and they countered it effectively for a while. If we dont sustain drives then Giants D will be even fresher if they get off early.

Does anyone know of a place where one could check out the Pats no huddle stats?

Giants are watching tape of former Harlem Globetrotter Geese Ausbie all week. "It's my leeeeeeeg"

Last edited:
Dilfer thinks the Pats will run no huddle the whole game. I'm sure the Giants are preparing for that or something like it, but no matter how much they prep, it will be tough for them.

That said, the no huddle also has some disadvantages. I'm of the school of thought that whoever wins TOP in this game will win.

Dilfer thinks the Pats will run no huddle the whole game. I'm sure the Giants are preparing for that or something like it, but no matter how much they prep, it will be tough for them.

That said, the no huddle also has some disadvantages. I'm of the school of thought that whoever wins TOP in this game will win.

No huddle doesn't always have to be hurry up. You get to the line so the defense can't substitute. If they do, you run a play as they're trying to get on the field. Brady steps back and just calls the play there. Not in a huddle. Can milk the clock that way.

No huddle doesn't always have to be hurry up. You get to the line so the defense can't substitute. If they do, you run a play as they're trying to get on the field. Brady steps back and just calls the play there. Not in a huddle. Can milk the clock that way.

Exactly. The key isn't to move fast...it is having personnel on the field that can run any formation/situation you might hit on the drive (at least until you get to goal line). For example, they spread and get a 9-yard completion and then morph into a tight formation and run for the first down. If the offense needs to do situational substitutions, then the defense gets a chance to substitute as well, rendering the no huddle moot.

Well..they tried vs the ravens too and they countered it effectively for a while. If we dont sustain drives then Giants D will be even fresher if they get off early.
The Ravens starting D-line average wgt is 326 lbs

The Giants starting D line is 276

Its much harder to push the Ravens D line than it is the Giants.

Dilfer also said he would be surprised if we won a single playoff game. Iam actually looking forward to a heavy dose of a successful running game early on with or without the huddle

I've watched this game over and over and asked myself the same thing. We didnt start the no-huddle till the end of the 4th quarter and we started scoring like crazy. We have to incorporate the no-huddle throughout the game especially with the Giants making substitutions.

Keep them on their toes with quick screens to Woodhead and quick releases to deter the pass rush. If the Giants can't get to Brady... they are dead.

I totally agree. I think you nailed this on the head.

The Ravens starting D-line average wgt is 326 lbs

The Giants starting D line is 276

Its much harder to push the Ravens D line than it is the Giants.

This is largely why the Pats will win....

How so?

Weren't the line weights the same in the last meeting?

The critical turning points in the last game were plays involving Sergio Brown, Phillip Adams and Tracy White. Remove those and we're all talking about how the Pats handled the Giants last time. Instead the primary talking points are about how the 2011 Giants defense is some sort of combination of the best parts of the '85 Bears, 2000 Ravens and 2002 Buccaneers.

The critical turning points in the last game were plays involving Sergio Brown, Phillip Adams and Tracy White. Remove those and we're all talking about how the Pats handled the Giants last time. Instead the primary talking points are about how the 2011 Giants defense is some sort of combination of the best parts of the '85 Bears, 2000 Ravens and 2002 Buccaneers.

Every team has personnel issues and "if's." If the Giants had Nicks & Bradshaw, we might be talking about how they put up 30+ last time.

They're not the '85 Bears, but traditionally, any team that can pressure Brady with the front 4 has a leg up. You can't really blitz Brady - the Giants have the personnel to pressure Brady without sacrificing coverage.

How so?

Weren't the line weights the same in the last meeting?

You can't be sane and compare the Raven's run defense against the Giants run defense.

I was in the stands, but it really seemed to me that the no-huddle was very effective against the Ravens. The problem was red zone offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots