PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Price: Antonio Bryant may be on Pats' radar

Status
Not open for further replies.
What receiver doesn't have a record for meatheadedness these days. I think the well behaved ones have become the exception to the rule.

Unfortunately it's true. The NFL might need more solid citizens like the Troy Browns and Heinz Wards, but most receivers tend to be on the eccentric side instead. See Ocho Cinco and TO for the opposite end of the spectrum. Yeah, it's not pretty.

Heinz Ward? are you calling him ketchup?

Except Bryant has a longer track record of meatheadedness. Stuff that goes back to college. Moss has always been surly and irascible. But he hasn't pulled the stunts that Bryant has.

I mean, he got into a tiff with Bill Parcells and was traded. He got into a fight with Mike Nolan and was also traded. He got into numerous fights with assistants at Pitt. he sued the NFL because he failed a drug test they gave him after he was released from the 49ers (he claimed they shouldn't have tested him because he wasn't an NFL player). He's been arrested for driving 100 pmh in a Lamborghini drunk and then resisting arrest. He had 4 separate run-ins at Pitt. Once for stealing phone access codes, once for fighting with teammates, becoming combative and abusive with campus police (that one, I'm not sure about, since I think it's quite easy to become abusive with campus police--speaking from experience), getting into it with an assistant coach. He was suspended twice by the university.

So do you think the Pats would be making a mistake to at least check him out?

Last edited:
If you want talented WRs, you're pretty much going to have to deal with headcases. At this point, if a WR can produce, I'll take him unless he's TO-level insane.

So do you think the Pats would be making a mistake to at least check him out?

Yes, I think a couple guys take it over the top. This fellow, T Owens, a few others.

I have said it...http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/313760-wr-solution-antonio-bryant.html...and I will say it again...this dude requires some maintenance...but has NEVER had the sort of problems Moss had (even tho I love Moss)....as long as we sign him to a multi-year deal...and NOT a single year "show-me deal"...this dude will ball for us and be the player he knows he can be....this guy has NEVER been paid to his abilities and the 2008 season shows us what he can do....his numbers dipped in 2009....but thats was purely due to the QB situation and a nagging injury...this dude CAN play...and would be a VERY GOOD addition.....I would put this team right back in the elite immediately if we really sign this guy

Oh and come on...did you guys see what he did to Butler in the Tampa game? Pitch and catch baby

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009102506/2009/REG7/patriots@buccaneers/watch

Last edited:
He better be on the radar. Easily the best WR fit for the Pats right now.

Last edited:
He has been my top guy ever since the season ended that I had hope the Pats would go after. I think he is a good fit as well and people question his productivity and attitude, well look at the QBs hes had the past few years, anyone with those guys wouldnt be putting up the best numbers and probably wouldnt be too happy. His production would definitely increase having Tom Brady as his QB. If the Pats are concerned about his attitude and what not, why not offer him a one year deal to prove himself and then if he does resign him to a longer deal next off season. I really like the idea of him in a Patriot uniform

He has been my top guy ever since the season ended that I had hope the Pats would go after. I think he is a good fit as well and people question his productivity and attitude, well look at the QBs hes had the past few years, anyone with those guys wouldnt be putting up the best numbers and probably wouldnt be too happy. His production would definitely increase having Tom Brady as his QB. If the Pats are concerned about his attitude and what not, why not offer him a one year deal to prove himself and then if he does resign him to a longer deal next off season. I really like the idea of him in a Patriot uniform
Bryant puts another bona fide deep threat opposite Moss. The space Edlebinkie will have to work in until Welker gets back will be ridiculous.

I'm warming to the idea of Olsen and Bryant.

Last edited:
Bryant puts another bona fide deep threat opposite Moss. The space Edlebinkie will have to work in until Welker gets back will be ridiculous.

I'm warming to the idea of Olsen and Bryant.

I completely agree, Bryant is the type of WR that we need to add and he comes at a much better price and value than Boldin and yet the drop off between the two is not very much. He'd be a great addition.

I too like the idea of Olsen as well, he is a great guy to have in the red zone. That was an area that we definitely struggled in last season

Last edited:
I completely agree, Bryant is the type of WR that we need to add and he comes at a much better price and value than Boldin and yet the drop off between the two is not very much.

Come again?

Come again?

Of course Boldin is the better player of the two, but Bryant isnt that far behind. Of course Boldins stats are going to be much better than Bryants, look at the 2 systems the two played under, the Cards a past first offense with strong QBs, the Bucs more of a running team with terrible QBs. Bryant actually had more yards than Boldin in 2008. Boldin has 4 1,000 yard years, while Bryant has 2. Boldin is definitely the better player no question, but Bryant isnt too far behind.

Last edited:
Sign the beast.

If we could land him and Reed I feel better about WR.

At this point, if the Pats are going to build the WR through FA, this is probably the last best chance.

If we could land him and Reed I feel better about WR.

I am not sure about adding both. I think it has a lot to do with how much faith they have in Tate. If they arent very high on Tate and his ability to contribute this season then I would hope they would try and sign both Reed and Bryant, or at least add 2 more WRs. If they do see Tate contributing this season there is only a real need to add one WR. Even just adding one WR would make me feel a lot happier about our WRs, it wasnt like they were a complete failure last year, we just needed a #3 WR

I still hope Tate might become something. I was excited about him before he got injured.

This would be a nice signing along with Olsen. That would be good enough to improve the offense but the draft will have to be solely defensive players because the defense needs an overhaul except for Wilfork, Mayo, Merriweather and Warren.

Of course Boldin is the better player of the two, but Bryant isnt that far behind. Of course Boldins stats are going to be much better than Bryants, look at the 2 systems the two played under, the Cards a past first offense with strong QBs, the Bucs more of a running team with terrible QBs.

Actually they have played under a myriad of systems with numerous QBs since coming into the league. The difference is Anquan Boldin has always been astonishingly successful despite playing on some really ****ty teams and consequently his drafting team has fought to retain him, while Antonio Bryant has been much less successful to the extent his teams either trade him or let him walk when his contract is up. Moreover no team seems to desire his services unless they have air at the position.

Tampa Bay doesn't even want his services with air at the position.

If the Pats take him to be that #3 WR I will assume they've kicked the tires and he's passed the psychological profile. But all the evidence up to now indicates he isn't what the Pats are looking for as a player, especially that 45% catch rate.

At this point, if the Pats are going to build the WR through FA, this is probably the last best chance.

And to follow up your point, if the Pats don't go for a FA WR, it tells me the Pats plan on taking a WR with the 22nd pick. Possibly Golden Tate or Damian Williams or even Demaryius Thomas if his injury is cleared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes