PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Preview of AFCE Salary Cap for 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like we have about 25m before factoring in roll-over space and exemptions. Most of that would be to sign our own vets and rookies.

Love 3m too high?

About 3x too high. Love is an ERFA, which means the Pats just have to give him the minimum for a third-year player. That said, I could see them giving him a two- or three-year deal worth about $1M/yr.

Thanks for the link.

Assuming the numbers are right ("In Miguel I Trust"), it's great to see that the Pats are $20 mil under.

Even more delishus is that the Jests are already $5 mil over..."The Jets are the only AFC East team projected to be over the cap. This was a team built to win now and it didn't work out..." Awwwwwwwwwww. :cry2: But I guess they won't have to offer Sanchez that big contract redo that he was no doubt hoping for when this season began.

Last edited:
Even more delishus is that the Jests are already $5 mil over..."The Jets are the only AFC East team projected to be over the cap. This was a team built to win now and it didn't work out..." Awwwwwwwwwww. :cry2: But I guess they won't have to offer Sanchez that big contract redo that he was no doubt hoping for when this season began.

Yeah, those Jest really screwed the pooch organizationally. I'm astounded that they paired a Sanchez-led offense with 2009's top-ranked scoring defense. Then they were #6 in 2010. Now the league has caught up -- their D slid to #20 this season -- the "development" of their QB has failed, their locker room is in turmoil, and best of all . . . they are flat broke. Talk about a window slamming shut!

Kind of a side note, but did anyone notice that the Jets fan page now has salary cap info for all the AFCE teams?

New England Patriots Salary Cap 2012

They do a pretty good job believe it or not.

Yeah, those Jest really screwed the pooch organizationally. I'm astounded that they paired a Sanchez-led offense with 2009's top-ranked scoring defense. Then they were #6 in 2010. Now the league has caught up -- their D slid to #20 this season -- the "development" of their QB has failed, their locker room is in turmoil, and best of all . . . they are flat broke. Talk about a window slamming shut!

Yeah. If you look back on it, Woody was so anxious to sell PSL's that his first move was to bring in Lord Favregaard for one circus-season in 2008.

Then he told Tannenchez to load up the roster for a run in 2010 and 2011 after trading up in the 2009 draft to get a "Franchise" QB, who happened to have only about a dozen college games under his belt as a starter.

Meanwhile, he actively or tacitly encouraged Wrecks to tear down the Giants and Patriots so he could push the Mara's aside in the local pecking order.

That adds up to a whole, long string of questionable decisions that all turned out to be bad or to backfire.

One thing I've learned in my business career is that "The guy in the room with the billion dollars is never going to take the fall at the end of the day."

So, I think we can expect to see heads start to roll sometime during or shortly after this season is over; my money would be on Tannenbaum going first, then Cryin' and finally the Sanchize.

Depending on how soon Johnson acts, the Jets will have lost four to six seasons before the debacle that will soon be known as the Tannenbaum/Ryan/Sanchez error is over.

Too bad, huh?

Last edited:
The good news can free up $10 million of cap space too with some minor cuts like Ochocinco and Mike Wright and one bigger cut in Matt Light (or a restructure of him). Granted a franchise tag on Welker will take $9.4 million of cap space.

Now the question is whether that includes the 2011 unused cap number which is allowed to be pushed forward in 2012 because of the new CBA. The Pats had about $8 million in unused cap money in 2011.

Unused cap number I've seen is 6.6m. I'm a little surprised about Light news. But, that does free up 5m if he retires.

and Connolly

Before they start dealing with the unknown have to decide what they will do with proven dudes like, BJGE, Anderson, Carter and Welker.

Kind of a side note, but did anyone notice that the Jets fan page now has salary cap info for all the AFCE teams?

New England Patriots Salary Cap 2012

They do a pretty good job believe it or not.

quick question, I get how the cap value is calculated (adding the 4 columns to the left) but what's the dead money and cap savings?

thanks

and Connolly

Connolly had a good season. Need to keep him. Due to the severity of Andre Carter's injury. I don't think we hear from him until this summer around training camp. Helluva situational pass rusher if we go back to 3-4 and he accepts that role.

quick question, I get how the cap value is calculated (adding the 4 columns to the left) but what's the dead money and cap savings?

thanks

cap savings is probably the amount we'd save if they unloaded the guy, parentheses being a negative number, I'd assume.

dead money is probably money we are still held accountable for even if we unload a guy.
see that list of dead money down at the bottom for players no longer with us.
the actual cap of our rostered players is 95, and then you add the dead money we still have to account for on the former players, giving the 105 total.

Last edited:

thanks

Dead money is bonus money that was paid up front to the player and then amortized over the life of the contract (up to 5 years under the new CBA). When a player is cut or traded the money remaining to be amortized over the remainder of his old contract accelerates back to the year in which he is cut or traded, so it hits the teams cap all at once.

Cap savings is the difference between the remaining amortized bonus money to be accounted against the current years cap if he's cut or traded less the salary and any other money (roster bonus, workout bonus) he now won't be paid (at least by this team).

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes