Welcome to PatsFans.com

Preview CB Projections

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by Ochmed Jones, Sep 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 2 / -0

#12 Jersey

I know BB just spent a ton of high draft picks in the secondary, but I still think our CB position with Bodden, Butler and McCourty has an openign for another talented youngster.

1.) Harris Miami - Led the ACC in passes defended last year and is strong in run support (70 plus tackles last year) and can return kicks as well. With a good 3 cone time, I could see BB liking this kid.

2.) Gilchrist Clemson - Not as finished as Harris, but with time to develop he projects well dependign on how he runs.

3.) Brown UNC - A great pass rush makes CB's look great, these early weeks of the schedule will tell us a lot about this kid.

4.) Carmichael Va TEch - Roasted a bit by Boise, but depending on how he runs, he works as a dime back.

5.) Burney UNC - BB loves 5'9" CB's that can change direction and run. This guy fits the bill.
  2. reamer

reamer Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Prince Amukamara, from Nebraska, is by far my favorite CB in the draft. His technique is just flawless. He is the single most shutdown corner I've ever watched at the college level. If Butler doesn't get his act together, I'd be more than happy to see us use the Oakland pick on Amukamara. I think he's an instant starter. We've been reasonably happy with McCourty so far, but I think Amukamara would be even better in his first season.

Patrick Peterson (LSU) has had a great season so far, and he's even bigger and faster than Amukamara. He's as big as Rodney Harrison, but with Samuel/Law level of corner play--at least at the college level. He's also an excellent return man.

Of course, those two are high first rounders, and we're all hoping for an OLB or DE with the OAK pick. As far as more developmental players go, I'm a big fan of Burney, whom I noticed you listed already. He's a feisty, instinctive player with big play capabilities.

I'm still not sold on anyone else this year. I'm taking a wait and see approach to the remainder of the season.
  3. D-Money

D-Money Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I am keeping an eye on Amakamura and Peterson all year.Peterson's as pure corner as u gonna see.
  4. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 2 / -0

#12 Jersey

You got to remember BB wants smaller CB's that excel in change of direction. Peterson is a taller CB that struggles to change direction.

I have not seen enough of Amakamura to project him, but I am thinking that as a CB having Suh and Crick attacking the QB only makes you look better.
  5. D-Money

D-Money Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Peterson has the makeup speed and he has shut down big wrs.He's a physical CB,something we dont have.
  6. Patriot Missile

Patriot Missile Rookie

Ratings:
    +128 / 4 / -2

#75 Jersey

If Peterson is there with the Raiders pick I would seriously consider taking him.
  7. MrNathanDrake

MrNathanDrake On the Roster

Ratings:
    +334 / 14 / -13

#95 Jersey

I wouldn't pass on Peterson if he's still on the board by our 1st pick.

Good CB's are hard to come by (as evident by Wilhite, Butler, Wheatley all being busts).

I'm not overly impressed with what I've seen from the projected 34 DE's
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  8. alphilip77

alphilip77 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

While I would not mind drafting a stud like Peterson, I can't stand it when people on this board blast the corners that we have. Wheatley was injured his rookie year, didn't rise up the depth chart in 2009, and has been out with a foot injury. Wilhite is what he is: a 4th round pick that is a good nickle corner and at best mediocre outside corner. Butler is a guy we basically stole in the 2nd round who is being forced to start opposite a rookie with no veteran presence at CB. Now granted, he has played like poop the first three games but I think it's WAY too early to be labeling him a bust. My point is that it is too early to be trashing this unit in only it's 2nd full year together. Besides, there's worse things, like Denver trading a 2010 1st for one and done Alphonso Smith. So..yeah...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.