PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pretty safe to say we won't get flexed out [Update: Pats/Dolphins flexed out]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Pa Patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
On tue they say what game is going to be flexed out on NBC... I think its safe to say with Miami winning at Carolina, we will be playing for the division title on Sun nite football in 2 weeks

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Pretty safe to say we wont get flexed out

On tue they say what game is going to be flexed out on NBC... I think its safe to say with Miami winning at Carolina, we will be playing for the division title on Sun nite football in 2 weeks

never know...there is minn vs ari,phl vs atl and dal vs nyg ..all attractive options for nbc...

I was reading the other day that they implemented the flex rule to avoid "bad" games in primetime.

While they might be able to improve their matchup in week 13, they are by no means stuck with a bad game. A heated rivalry with a lot of bad blood and a game that could determine a division winner....?

Yeah, it'll stay put.

never know...there is minn vs ari,phl vs atl and dal vs nyg ..all attractive options for nbc...

Only one that I can see NBC wanting over the Patriots and Dolphins is the Giants/Cowboys game. However Fox might want that game for their 4pm game, and the Giants are slotted for the week after anyway so unless they were going to put the Patriots vs. Saints on the week after in the Sunday night game the Patriots vs. Dolphins is their best matchup there.

Only one that I can see NBC wanting over the Patriots and Dolphins is the Giants/Cowboys game. However Fox might want that game for their 4pm game, and the Giants are slotted for the week after anyway so unless they were going to put the Patriots vs. Saints on the week after in the Sunday night game the Patriots vs. Dolphins is their best matchup there.

Yeah, I agree. It wouldnt surprise me if Fox blocked that game from being flexed. Theres a good chance this game stays at 8:20

Yeah, I agree. It wouldnt surprise me if Fox blocked that game from being flexed. Theres a good chance this game stays at 8:20

They can't anyway...rules prohibit that game from being broadcast by NBC so Fox gets it. Same goes with the Patriots vs. Bills, that game has to be on CBS.

you think they wont like favre vs warner ..two big offenses and all the favre crap ?

Re: Pretty safe to say we won't get flexed out

getting "flexed out" (or whatever) is fine with me.

i'm in the minority, I guess. But, I wish we could play all of our games at 1:00 on Sunday afternoon, except for that one big game on the last day of the season.

They can't anyway...rules prohibit that game from being broadcast by NBC so Fox gets it. Same goes with the Patriots vs. Bills, that game has to be on CBS.

Why does the Giants/Cowboys game have to be broadcasted on Fox? Did they protect it? Same with the Bills/Pats, why does that have to be on CBS. Theres no way CBS protected that game.

I was reading the other day that they implemented the flex rule to avoid "bad" games in primetime.

While they might be able to improve their matchup in week 13, they are by no means stuck with a bad game. A heated rivalry with a lot of bad blood and a game that could determine a division winner....?

Yeah, it'll stay put.
hey its aquasack. back for more abuse.:D

you think they wont like favre vs warner ..two big offenses and all the favre crap ?

Over Brady and the Patriots and an inter-division game with possible significance on the postseason? Not really...not over the slated game.

Why does the Giants/Cowboys game have to be broadcasted on Fox? Did they protect it? Same with the Bills/Pats, why does that have to be on CBS. Theres no way CBS protected that game.

They and ESPN are not allowed to broadcast the second match up in prime time with division teams if the first match up was in prime time...Giants/Cowboys were already on Sunday Night and Patriots/Bills were already on Monday Night so the second games must be shown on Fox and CBS.

They and ESPN are not allowed to broadcast the second match up in prime time with division teams if the first match up was in prime time...Giants/Cowboys were already on Sunday Night and Patriots/Bills were already on Monday Night so the second games must be shown on Fox and CBS.

Never have seen that rule out there before, but I'll take your word for it

when we will know exactly ? this week ?

i love the 1 pm games too (it means 7 pm here)

Never have seen that rule out there before, but I'll take your word for it

efin98 is right, it is a little known rule though.

Which does kind of stink because we as fans get penalized for early season matchups.

The Dallas vs New York game has the potential to be a huge matchup and I think that New York and New England are comparable in fan bases but Dallas crushes Miami.

Then Again Favre love fest could trump all.

Whoever the member of this board was who made the "Darth Vader" Pats schedule wallpaper, he made a goof - he lists the Saints game as being on "Sunday, Nov. 30".

Here's a list of the protected games:

CBS
Week 11: Jets at Patriots
Week 12: None
Week 13: Titans at Colts
Week 14: Chargers at Cowboys
Week 15: Bengals at Chargers
Week 16: Ravens at Steelers

FOX
Week 11: Redskins at Cowboys
Week 12: Bears at Vikings
Week 13: Cowboys at Giants
Week 14: Packers at Bears
Week 15: Packers at Steelers
Week 16: None

The CBS games that week are:
Titans at Colts
Texans at Jaguars
Broncos at Chiefs
Raiders at Steelers
Chargers at Browns

With Tennessee at Indy being protected, there's no other CBS game worth switching. Since the Pats-Dolphins would be a CBS game, does NBC have to choose another CBS game? Are they allowed to flex out a CBS game and add a FOX game?

Assuming NBC can do that, with FOX protecting the Cowboys - Giants game, that leaves the Eagles at Atlanta, Vikings at Cardinals, or Saints at Redskins as potential candidates to be flexed to Sunday night.

Atlanta has been fading fast so I doubt they would be flexed. Vikings - Cardinals could be appealing because those are two high-scoring playoff bound teams, which could be marketed from the Favre versus Warner angle. And they may want to take the Saints on the chance that they are still undefeated at that point. Even though that is an unappealing matchup, a lot of people may tune in to see the Saints offense, plus Washington has a pretty big fanbase.

Bottom line is that although the Pats-Dolphins may get flexed back to Sunday afternoon, I doubt that will happen.

From what I have read that's actually not true. Networks are allowed to 'protect' one game each week, so that is why you don't see games such as the Giants Cowboys being on primetime twice.

For example last year Fox used its week 13 protection on the Giants-Redskins, even though those two were on primetime in week 1. They also used their week 11 protection on the Bears-Packers, even though those two were on primetime in week 16. If there was a rule against the same two teams being on primetime twice, why wouldn't they protect another game instead?

The bottom line effect is the same - two teams don't end up on primetime twice in a season - but there is no actual rule against that happening.

Looks like we got flexed out... They will be showing Cards/Vikes

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes