PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pretty good offensive play calling and execution, don't you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I thought the play calling and exection today was very good today.
And, I thought that Caldwell proved that he could be a decent reciever for us. A decent #2.

And, Gaffney continues to impress considering we got him off the gabage heap.

Last edited:
As I posted in another thread, I loved some of the personell groupings today.

Faulk and Maroney in the backfield.

Faulk wide right with Marone and Brown in the backfield (how long until they hand it off to Troy or a direct-snap to him).

Not a new one but a TE wide with a wr/rb in the slot.

This will allow them to run some more creative plays later in the year and give the playoff teams something to look at.

Personel groupings aside, what worries me is we have still not beaten a great defense.

As someone pointed out in another thread, the Chicago game is key. If the Pats offense can put up some points against the Bears, it would make me feel a whole lot better about things.

I don't expect the Bears offense to put up a lot of points on the Pats. The real key is that the offense plays well. The offense has not played well against good defenses this season even in games they have won. And with all the injuries to the secondary, the offense needs to start carrying some of the load of winning these games.

Yes, they put up 35 today but against a very bad D and had Favre been on his game, no way would it have been a blowout today. He was awful today, missing receivers long, short....you name it. The D is not as good as it was during the SB runs. The offense needs to step up against a solid D and prove they can put up some points.

I unfortunately didnt get to see the entire game all the way through as I was battling for the remote with 3 other guys on my ship who all wanted to see their teams play..... but from what I did see, I was as happy as the Minn game. they mixed things up well and seemed to be doing some different things. I have figured all along that the offense wouldnt be a complete product until a week or so from now, so we will see what happens, but no one can say it isnt progress in the right direction

Well, NUT, it was an improvement, but not back to form yet. I have the hope that the team is finally out of preseason mode and the coaches are reacting to the situation on the field. I saw a lot more of that this week, especially on the offensive side of the ball, like you said. I saw adjustments to what the d was giving them, etc.

The biggest downside I still see on the offense is Brady. I still think he has a small case of Pay-a-ton,Dread-so itis. He still seems to be trying to win games with each and every play by himself. This seems to result in Tom making mental mistakes, holding on to the ball too long to find the long ball receiver, taking sacks, and forcing the ball into coverage resulting in picks. His strength has always been his game management and sense of time. Look,look,look, throw. Even if it is to the cheerleaders. Now he isn't doing that any more. And the results have been mixed, at best. His surrounding cast is as good as its ever been. He needs to relax and do his job and stop worrying about everyone else doing theirs.

PatsFanDan said:
Personel groupings aside, what worries me is we have still not beaten a great defense.

As someone pointed out in another thread, the Chicago game is key. If the Pats offense can put up some points against the Bears, it would make me feel a whole lot better about things.

I don't expect the Bears offense to put up a lot of points on the Pats. The real key is that the offense plays well. The offense has not played well against good defenses this season even in games they have won. And with all the injuries to the secondary, the offense needs to start carrying some of the load of winning these games.

Yes, they put up 35 today but against a very bad D and had Favre been on his game, no way would it have been a blowout today. He was awful today, missing receivers long, short....you name it. The D is not as good as it was during the SB runs. The offense needs to step up against a solid D and prove they can put up some points.

What does any of that have to do with the play calling today??:eek:

It looks as if you need an eye laxative to clear up your ****y outlook.

Last edited:
I thought it was pretty much the same as we've seen the past few weeks. The new personnel groupings were good, but they still try to force the ball to the tight end too much. Jackson is in there more, but I don't understand with his speed and priduction in college why he's not mroe productive in the pros. Are they finished with screens? And no draws either? I thought the play calling was predictable at times.

PATSNUTme said:
What does any of that have to do with the play calling today??:eek:

It looks as if you need an eye laxative to clear up your ****y outlook.

Sorry, I will dumb it down for you.

The play calling really doesn't matter if the offense can't execute against a solid defense.

In case you didn't notice, the offense has had some difficutly executing the plays that were called against good defenses. I have a hard time getting excited over putting up 35 points against a terrible GB defense in a game where their QB couldn't hit the bronze side of a barn.

We definitely saw some different looks today on offense. But the bottom line was the execution was better.

IMO, the Pats did not lose the previous two games because of play calling and I definitely agree with anyone that thinks the Pats should have ran the ball more in the 2nd half against the Colts. The point is both the Colts and Jets were winnable games if the offense had not made so many mistakes.

So I wasn't trying to derail your thread. I guess the point is........execution is as important as the play calling. But go ahead and flame away as you feel necessary.

when pass are completed with no tipped balls for interceptions and D doesnt commit stupid penalties on 3rd downs..the off play calling is always good :)
when it fails...mc daniels is a !@#$$,we got outcoached etc etc

PatsFanDan said:

The play calling really doesn't matter if the offense can't execute against a solid defense.

In case you didn't notice, the offense has had some difficutly executing the plays that were called against good defenses. I have a hard time getting excited over putting up 35 points against a terrible GB defense in a game where their QB couldn't hit the bronze side of a barn.

We definitely saw some different looks today on offense. But the bottom line was the execution was better.

IMO, the Pats did not lose the previous two games because of play calling and I definitely agree with anyone that thinks the Pats should have ran the ball more in the 2nd half against the Colts. The point is both the Colts and Jets were winnable games if the offense had not made so many mistakes.

So I wasn't trying to derail your thread. I guess the point is........execution is as important as the play calling. But go ahead and flame away as you feel necessary.

I still missed the part as to what all that has to do with the play calling TODAY.

All the stuff that you have mentioned has been given a full retal exam on this board over and over again.

No flaming here, just trying keep things on topic.

PATSNUTme said:
I still missed the part as to what all that has to do with the play calling TODAY.

All the stuff that you have mentioned has been given a full retal exam on this board over and over again.

No flaming here, just trying keep things on topic.

Sorry....I thought the title of the thread was Pretty good offensive play calling and execution, don't you think?

I guess I misread it. Silly me.

Last edited:
shirtsleeve said:
The biggest downside I still see on the offense is Brady. I still think he has a small case of Pay-a-ton,Dread-so itis. He still seems to be trying to win games with each and every play by himself. This seems to result in Tom making mental mistakes, holding on to the ball too long to find the long ball receiver, taking sacks, and forcing the ball into coverage resulting in picks. His strength has always been his game management and sense of time. Look,look,look, throw. Even if it is to the cheerleaders. Now he isn't doing that any more. And the results have been mixed, at best. His surrounding cast is as good as its ever been. He needs to relax and do his job and stop worrying about everyone else doing theirs.

Our 3 time Super Bowl winning, 2 time Super Bowl MVP, QB just can't get a break with anyone around here. He was doing what you suggested at the beginning of the year, and all anyone around here could say was "he looks pretty off". Now, he tries, and not always with the best result, to take the team on his back, and he gets criticized for that.

When are you people going to realize that the game just ISN'T that easy, and that the NFL system is designed for people not to excel ALL THE TIME.

With the trash that has been thrown his way lately, I'm starting to wonder if Tom will stick around after his next contract. I sure wouldn't if I had to put up with ingrates like you.

shirtsleeve said:
Well, NUT, it was an improvement, but not back to form yet. I have the hope that the team is finally out of preseason mode and the coaches are reacting to the situation on the field. I saw a lot more of that this week, especially on the offensive side of the ball, like you said. I saw adjustments to what the d was giving them, etc.

Tough jury. Would that form you're looking for be his 2005 or the teams 2004? I think what today reinforced is Brady is the least of this offenses worries. If the line does a decent job in protection and run blocking, and as a result (in addition to their own effort and determination and focus) the receivers get decent seperation and the RB's find some consistent holes - we're in business. It all starts in the trenches on both sides of the ball. This isn't the most talented receiving corps in the league, any more than we field the most talented secondary. But if/when the lines do their job, both are sufficient.

And unfortunately in Tommy's position if everyone else isn't doing their job he can't do his. 2001 should have taught us that much. He doesn't have to be surrounded by a galaxy of stars, but guys around him have to hold up their end reasonably - including coaches and the FO - in order for him to lead them farther than many of his peers can lead teams full of pro bowl weapons.

PatsFanDan said:

I agree with you for the most part. Thanks for keeping it real. ;)

BradfordPatsFan said:
As I posted in another thread, I loved some of the personell groupings today.

I also liked when they had Maroney at QB and Brady lined up in the slot. :D

And, of course, any time Vrabel's out as a TE, that's a plus in my book. [Note to #12: that pass you threw doesn't count as satisfying Vrabel's need for 'crack'. Another hit is needed, and the sooner the better. :) ]

NEM said:
I didnt see much of the game today, because my nephew took me to the Cardinal game.

What I did see was a great drive to open the game and go up 7-0, but then into the second quarter, on sever of the next posessions, McDaniels totally sucked crap again.

Fortunnately though, McDaniels finally turned to page two of thed idiots guid to being an OC, and realized that the receivers are allowed to catch the ball inside the hash marks....

After it became 14-0 IO didnt see any more so I can't comment.

But, what little I did see, and THIS IS NOT SOUR GRAPES, I AM ECSTATIC ABOUT THE WIN.... but whoever called all those first down running plays in the first half really doesnt have a clue what the hell he is doing. All's well that end'[s well, however...

Great win today, but seeing as you asked, and for a reason I am sure, McDaniels really didnt pass a test yet... in fact he sucked for most of the first half, especially on first down calls, and then I was gone halfway through the 2nd quarter.

Apparently you saw a different game than I saw.

Edited your quote for brevity and for clarity. I think most of us generally see a different game than you see. Could have just bare bones edited it to redundant McDaniels sucks, but it puts your comments into better context when people grasp that you spew vitriol like this about whomever our OC is even when you didn't even see most of a game. And it's always sour grapes when a 35 point win isn't good enough.

Last edited:
Ok, MLR and BIG, I'm gonna reply to both of ya at once because the server is crawling again. I sure hope things come back up to speed soon.

Mo, easy there, I said that they did look better today in play selection and overall coaching. Not quite up to 2003/2004 form, but getting better. Yeah, I am aware of the change at O.C. since, and that was my point. I was posting my opinion of the play calling based on that comparison. I've written many times during the early season that the play calling looked like the team was in extended preseason mode. Today looked like they had a real game plan in place and adjusted to what Green Bay's defense showed them. A real improvement, but the proof will be in the pudding next week there.

To both... Brady has been holding the ball and taking sacks this year. That is not characteristic of him. He always was the first one to fire one off into the dirt or at the cheerleaders if there was no one open on his progression. Not this year. He also rarely forced the ball into coverage. He has done much more of that last and this year. He is trying to carry too much of the burdon on his shoulders. Some of you may like that, but it doesn't fit in this system and is often counter-productive. This is not a knock. I admire his determination. Its just an observation. Perhaps as he gets more comfortable with his new team mates he will do less of these things. But if you look at this season objectively, you would have to admit that he has tried to do too much himself and has had mixed results.

BradyisGod said:
Our 3 time Super Bowl winning, 2 time Super Bowl MVP, QB just can't get a break with anyone around here. He was doing what you suggested at the beginning of the year, and all anyone around here could say was "he looks pretty off". Now, he tries, and not always with the best result, to take the team on his back, and he gets criticized for that.

When are you people going to realize that the game just ISN'T that easy, and that the NFL system is designed for people not to excel ALL THE TIME.

With the trash that has been thrown his way lately, I'm starting to wonder if Tom will stick around after his next contract. I sure wouldn't if I had to put up with ingrates like you.

Exactly. I can't think of a tougher job than being Brady. You get booed at home by the most ungrateful fans in the NFL, and blamed at fanboy websites, while playing in the worst media enviroment in the country, and being the QB of the most calculating front office in the country. Brady gets killed in many games, with inconsistent protection, a revolving door of semi-talented or old WRs and RBs, and coaching changes, while taking less money under the unfulfilled pretense that the team would spend the money on talent to surround Brady with; plays injuried, never misses a game, wins us superbowls, doesn't do a million stupid commercials, and needs to learn on the fly how to lead a completely new group of WRs, with a running game which is mysteriously MIA for long stretches of time and a coaching staff that seems occasionally unwilling to make game time adjustments.

Brady is fine. He is not the problem, and never was. Put him on Manning's team last year and he would have won the superbowl, IMO. With a lot less fanfare and stupid commercials.

MoLewisrocks said:
Edited your quote for brevity and for clarity. I think most of us generally see a different game than you see. Could have just bare bones edited it to redundant McDaniels sucks, but it puts your comments into better context when people grasp that you spew vitriol like this about whomever our OC is even when you didn't even see most of a game. And it's always sour grapes when a 35 point win isn't good enough.

NEM wants us to use more play action while never running the ball.

Pretty much sums up our problems with play calling.:D

Patriots win it's good play calling. Patriots lose it's bad play calling. What could be simpler than that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes