Welcome to PatsFans.com

President Obama's Agenda MUST be Mainstream

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Aug 13, 2009.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +381 / 3 / -15

He was voted in on a mainstream agenda that appealed to a wide range of citizens. These citizens didn't wish for a liberal agenda at all, they just wanted all the honesty & transparency President Obama promised us.

I said before he was voted in (including my own vote for Obama) that as long as he stayed mainstream, he'd have the support of all who voted for him. Mainstream America voted him in. He promised no red & blue states and that appealed to many like myself who don't believe in partisan politics.

But his support is eroding not because of misinformation from the right, but because he now appears to have a far more dramatic agenda than we hoped for.

If Obama truly wants to succeed, he MUST remember that his supporters don't want a more "Left" country, we just want a more honest & open gov't where we're heard. We don't want MORE gov't, we want a better gov't.

When times are tough, Americans get more mainstream. If Obama strays left, he'll be a one-term president because those who voted him in aren't from the "left", they are from the middle.

Do you agree or disagree, please share your thoughts.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  2. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +381 / 3 / -15

Why has no one commented on this? This is exactly the issue underlying every single left vs. right thread on this board.

Is it that people would rather discuss each issue separately and avoid this main issue?
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +664 / 2 / -9

Another factor that played a very important role in the election of Barack Hussein Obama besides "agenda" a factor that I being a flaming neo con will immediately be jumped on by the politically correct loons.

The other factor besides the agenda "RACE" now I'm gonna get it..........
  4. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +381 / 3 / -15

Personally, I don't think race plays a significant role.
  5. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

He made health care reform a major issue in his campaign and now he's tackling it and we voted him in knowing that. So how is it not mainstream? There's massive cognitive dissonance going on, and I think it's due to widespread ignorance and fear of what the bill actually entails.
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

Not quite sure that main stream and a "liberal" agenda are mutually exclusive...

Right now we are hung up on health care reform, as a stand alone topic this is a good thing to tackle in an off election year.. there has been a subsequent shytstorm, but most of the rhetoric has been lies and hyperbole...

The issue is funding, and not convinced that this will fiscally efficient.. but unfortunately the rhetoric of the town halls is the fear mongering of the health insurance companies who might have the most to lose...

Was listening to the radio this AM and they were talking about how slow "institutionalized" medicine is, for example Lasix Surgery, which is probably not covered by med insurance... the price has come down significantly because of the competition for the uninsured dollar.. the same with Botox and cosmetic surgery... all the while the costs for the insured dollar have not changed all that much, and if anything the cost has gone up.

There needs to be a way to challenge the medical folks to reduce costs and increase efficientcy... the only thing they are doing now is perpetuating the current system, but that is the function of any organization.
  7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +664 / 2 / -9

This is all we heard for a whole year and we are still hearing it "The First African American president"

Geraldine Ferraro told it like it was and she has been branded for life (and she's a democrat)

NO FURTHER COMMENT ON THIS SUBJECT
  8. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

Don't lie you need to do this daily, or you will get all backed up...
  9. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +381 / 3 / -15

I'll be totally honest with you. I don't think Obama planned to take the country left. But as soon as he got into office, 2 idiots name Barney Frank and Nancy Pelosi took it as a sign that it is time to move the nation left.

My fear is that Obama could be swayed by the two afformentioned idiots. If Barney could, he give away homes to every American and just debit the national debt another 4 trillion or so.

And finally, there is no argument against taking our time passing health care reform. When people chant "read the bill" they have a great point. It should be read & studied by every single member of congress before they vote on it.

It's bad for the nation whenever one party controls the white house and congress. Once again, no one voted Obama in thinking he'd take the country left. That's not what the majority want and the majority is all that matters.
  10. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +381 / 3 / -15

Mainstream and liberal are without question 2 separate groups. Mainstream represents the majority of Americans and the VAST majority are moderate. True liberals make up a very small minority of Americans. Just as true conservatives do.
  11. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Moving left or right is vague and impossible to nail down, so I don't think it's really a useful measuring stick for anything. Let's just say that he said he wanted health care reform, we voted for him, and now it's on the table.

Sure.

But the nation voted this way. :confused:

I certainly expected him to.

The majority want health care reform, they just are unsure about the exact nature of the form they want. It's massive cognitive dissonance.
  12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +520 / 6 / -2

I'm not sure why people are surprised so far. Obama has always been a liberal, and has had zero life experiences that made him ready for this job. The "in over his head" line is something some of us talked about before the election took place. Some in here said Obama was a moderate, and a "pragmatist". I argued he was a liberal, and an ideologue. Since he had very little resume to build a concrete opinion on, his answers to questions, and his past quotes, is where people needed to focus their attention. The guy is very likable, and plays the part real well, but he's business as usual if you ask me.

As for the HC reform bills being pimped, they are basically being designed in a manner that will lead us toward a single payer system. Forget the cries by some pols that no one is trying to pass a single payer system. That's the goal long term. Pass a policy that won't work long term, and forces more "reforms" down the road. Reforms that get you where you originally wanted to be, and that's with single payer. That's why so much is on the line for Obama & Co. If this reform doesn't pass as they want it, then they'll never get single payer.
  13. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

/agree, per usual. I do think Obama had the idea of implementing some left-wing ideologies, but you can't really blame him for that. He's a left-wing guy.

As you point out, I'm much more concerned with the lack of debate and open dialogue. I cringe whenever I think about one party controlling Congress and the presidency. That's just not good, whether (R) or (D). Because when they do, you get ridiculous situations like this healthcare bill and the Patriot Act, where they will push-push-push-push for a bill to be passed without full understanding. To me, that's just blatantly stupid and a prime example of how they get by without looking out for our best interests. It is in our interest for them to understand something before passing it. It drives me insane when I see them trying to shovel legislation through.

Democratic republics have historically been slow in passing legislation and managing government operations. But that's the nature of it. The debate makes for the best (hopefully) solution possible. We, as the voting public, need to DEMAND more debate and less steamrolling.
  14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

Most presidents have zero life experiences for this job... the job is about who you surround yourself with, as do not expect the prez to micromanage how the government is operated...

Suspect his being in over his head if a current phenomenon, will be less apparent next year... contended all along will spend a lot of political capital this year, in 2010 it will be different person running this country.. there will be no bail out next year, no stimulus bill, no health care debate next year..
  15. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +381 / 3 / -15

Because you're from the minority group known as "Liberals". But Obama ran on a moderate platform. If you don't believe me, watch as time moves on. If Obama appears to be moving the country left, his popularity will nose-dive and he won't get voted to a second term. Liberals did not vote Obama into office, there just aren't enough of them.

Also, lets remember that the vast majority of democrats are moderate, not liberal. (38% of democrats consider themselves "liberal". The number considering themselves extremely liberal is far, far less)
  16. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

He ran on a platform that also highlighted health care reform. If you think that he ran on a moderate platform then you think that health care reform is a moderate issue.
  17. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +381 / 3 / -15

Health care reform is neither liberal or conservative in itself. But the actual way in which it's done definately can be. So when Obama said he wanted HC reform, it wasn't a liberal proposal.
  18. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Part of the problem is his deference to Congress in letting them write the bill so it will inherently be more liberal (with the public option). While that may be the result of lessons learned with Hillarycare 16 years ago, when they proposed a bill and watched it go down in flames. The problem in letting congress write the bill and in its many variations is that Congress is now leading in the reform and the President is following or at least acting as a cheerleader. The problem is that an issue of this magnitude requires the President to use the 'bully pulpit' if he expects to garner widespread support. I don't think they understood the depth of people's objection to it and the breadth of opposition. The people standing at town hall's may not reflect totally the size of the opposition but if it's enacted watch for a major realignment in 2010. Here in Pennsylvania, Joe Sestak who is running against Arlen Spector in the Democratic primary is careful not to label those opposing the bill as 'unAmerican" and may just upset the good Senator in the primary....
  19. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

And it still isn't a liberal proposal. It's not nationalized health care, and it's not single payer.
  20. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Obama's been one of the leading proponents of the public option so I don't see how in the world that is deference to congress. It's the best part of the bill. Also, if you're attacking the public option, please answer me this question: who stand to lose the most if the public option becomes law?