Welcome to PatsFans.com

President Obama to Sign Executive Order on Stem Cell Research Monday

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

March 06, 2009 3:44 PM

ABC News has learned that on Monday morning President Obama will hold an event at the White House in which he signs an executive order overturning the ban on federal funding of embryonic stem cell research.

The announcement will be about "restoring scientific integrity to health care policy," an administration official tells ABC News.

In August 2001, President George W. Bush signed an executive order banning federal funding on embryonic stem cell research except for a few dozen lines that were grandfathered in. The White House at the time estimated scientists would have more than 60 cell lines to use, but ultimately fewer than two dozen lines were usable.
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

We passed some bond measure here in CA for several billion in funding for this . . . still waiting for the magic cures.

I am in favor of this but it's way overplayed that Bush banned it (he didn't) and that there is some history of success (there isn't).
  3. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

This is Great news. The country can now move into the 21st century. For to long oh 20 out of the last 28 years America has been held hostage to religious dogma controlling the countries agenda. Especially when it came to science.
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Jersey has spend > a billion on this with no results. Meanwhile they won't fund non embroyonic stem cell research which has produced results.
  5. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

$3B in CA four years ago . . . still waiting :rolleyes:
  6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Keep your fingers crossed....hope there will be some fruit from this.
    There are so many lives in the balance. Why would anyone be against research into new processes when none of the old ones have produced a cure for anything. What the hell is wrong with you, BF and PF13?
  7. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Dude, read what I wrote. I am IN FAVOR of it. Note my initial reply.

However I get tired of 1) those who act like Bush BANNED it when he didn't and when BILLIONS of dollars have been approved for it and 2) the fact that no-one is willing to admit that embryonic stem cell research has never cured anything. That doesn't mean it never will but those in favor should be more realistic about the expectations.
  8. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +85 / 6 / -9

#37 Jersey

Will some people be cured and out of their wheelchairs by Monday afternoon?

Just another waste of money.:mad:
  9. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +460 / 5 / -10

#61 Jersey

Stupid question, and very wrong. But then, you're opposed on religious grounds if I'm not mistaken.
  10. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

REAL stupid question. Shows a basic lack of understanding - even rejection- of the scientific process. How ignorant can one get? WOW!...:rofl:
  11. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

You're against federal funding, right? I don't know if Bush personally banned federal funding of all but existing lines of stem cells, but someone in his administration did, right? Do you think Bush was unaware of this executive order?

I don't want to wade into the muck of another abortion debate and what stem cell research has to do with it and I don't think you do either. The point is Bush put restrictions on exactly which stem cells could be used for reasearch with federal funding. The states had to fund their own research.

Funny how some (not saying you personally) are so against research on ESC 's but have no problem with the feds funding research into new and exciting ways to destroy living humans with more "efficient" military weapons. The so-called "pro-Lifers" among them the Catholic church, never makes much of a fuss about federal funding for killing civilians so that they may be free.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  12. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I guess we should have never tried to cure polio as it took way too damn long. Why are we even putting money into cancer research? We have been doing that for decades and still do not have a cure. What a waste of money!
  13. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Stem cell research using other stem cells have produced theraputic results, embroynic stem cells have produced tumors. why are we not funding research that doesn't produce results and not funding research that produces results.

Educate yourself. Think of your buying the toxic florusencent bulb cause someone told you it would save the planet.
  14. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

No, I am FOR federal funding.

However, I like to point out that Bush never banned ESCR, there were BILLIONS allocated to if through the states and it has never cured anything. People who refer to us as being in the dark ages over the so-called ban piss me off.
  15. atomdomb

atomdomb Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Bingo. Umbilical cord stem cell have cured a ton of problems. Those are available every time a baby is born. I have a family member that owns one of the largest cryogenic companies in the world. They do work with Tufts, Mass Eye and Ear, Harvard Medical and many other bio-tech labs. Most of the embryonic stem cell have led to tumors. Not so for the umbilical stem cells. The umbilical stem cell science is solid and is already being used to treat many diseases.
  16. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Do you have a link to the tumor problem?

You need to understand that science takes time...probably years in this case. You're the one who thinks a cure needs to be made by Monday. How foolish does that sound?You're the one who sounds uneducated - not me.
  17. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I'm guessing that's its ok for our military to stay in the Middle East for centuries, but to have to wait years for a breakthrough in generic research is outrageous.
  18. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +307 / 4 / -2

Um...

IRAAAAAAQ!
  19. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Of course science takes time. AGAIN we have stem cell research that is producing postive results, which we are not funding, we are instead funding an approach which may never work. It makes no sense.
  20. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

We? I like that...seriously. It sounds better than the use of "you" or "people like you". I know I've done it and I regret it. As Americans, we're all in this together. Even though there are differences of opinion, in the end, we're all in the same boat and there is no "us" against "them".

The ban in funding new lines of ESC's was a reflection on my society as a whole. It's a limit on the tools we can use when there should be no limit or at least less of them. When we're tossing money at AIG, Egypt and Israel, oil companies and defense contractors, we should not be pizzing and scraping about whether a lab should get $2 million to develop lab mice. I can't tell you why ESC's have more promise other than to hear it from researchers and neurologists who refuse to leave any stone unturned. These are not people who are driven by religion or some sick desire to increase the number of abortions. They want access to as many tools as possible to help people with difficult and disabling diseases. ESC's, skin cells, coaxing other cells to act like ESC's. It's so complicated that researchers are literally waiting for faster computers to do the calculations needed to carry out their work.

Many of these researchers will admit they don't know where their work will take them but they are more interested in the process. Was it Einstein who said that scientists don't know what they're doing - that's why it's called research"? There are many studies I am specifically asware of where a lab will screen all known compounds - sorta like throwing sh!t against a wall and seeing what will stick. Some people are that desperate and passionate about curing this disease or that one.