Welcome to PatsFans.com

President Obama Causes Outrage with Reference to ‘Polish Death Camp’

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, May 29, 2012.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +445 / 11 / -14

President Doofus strikes again:

President Obama Causes Outrage with Reference to ‘Polish Death Camp’ - ABC News

Guess dopey didn't know the Poles had been conquered by the Nazi's and Communist in 1939 and that the Germans ran Death Camps on Polish soil. Sort of like confusing Black people with the KKK after the ivil War.

Making Bush look smart is pretty hard but Dumbo has managed to do it.

2. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +421 / 8 / -4

If you think Obama wasn't aware of those facts, you're fooling yourself.

If you said it and don't believe it, well, par for the course, I guess.

Clearly the term Polish was meant in a geographic sense, and clearly that is offensive to Poland -- understandably. Given that, Obama should apologize -- or will you guys also get upset over an apology, as you so often do?

3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +563 / 22 / -19

Regardless of his intention, it was apparently a political gaffe, and Obama will have to apologize. This is the first I heard that there's a controversy with the phrase "Polish death camps."

4. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That's because a liberal said it, so the MSM will do the bare minimum as far as covering it. If Bush had said such a thing? National headlines for months.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  5. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +445 / 11 / -14

Well the Minister of Foreign Affairs has demanded a formal apology.

https://twitter.com/#!/sikorskiradek

I guess for many who don't know history they don't appreciate just how insulting this is to the Polish nation.

This makes his "57 states" look like an insightful comment.

He is lost without a teleprompter. Incapable of thinking on his feet.

6. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I wonder if that's the same one his grandfather liberated while serving in the Red Army. :rocker:

7. Patters

Ratings:
    +563 / 22 / -19

We don't know that yet, but I hope you're right.

8. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +445 / 11 / -14

Yeah the Poles don't like being confused with the Nazi's who invaded their country and persecuted it's citizen's funny how that work.

Of course this sin't the first time Obama has insulted the Poles, he reversed course on letting them have a missle defense system on the 60 year anniversary of the Solviet Union Invasion of Poland in WW2 (9/17/2009)

Very thoughtful of them.

In diplomacy dates and words mean things.

9. Patters

Ratings:
    +563 / 22 / -19

There's a lot of sentiment in the Jewish community that the Poles in many ways were complicit with the Nazis. The Wikipedia article on the subject suggests that a case can be made either way. So, it's not clear if Poland deserves an apology, but still Obama has no choice.

10. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,971 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

Nice to see the man honored:

11. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +421 / 8 / -4

You sound like Harry. National headlines for months... sure, wolfie...

12. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +421 / 8 / -4

Story said there was a teleprompter.

Guess you didn't watch any debates, huh?

13. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +217 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

After the war, many Polish Jews who survived went back to their villages, only to be killed in pogroms by Poles. Places like Jedwabne during the war and Kielce in 1946. Yes, the President could have prased it better but there were many Poles with blood on their hands,

New monument to commemorate 1946 Polish pogrom | j. the Jewish news weekly of Northern California

14. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +809 / 26 / -33

Funny how this gets lost in a game of political one upsmanship.....

BTW it is all over the news this morning, complete with an apology..

15. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,029 / 15 / -8

There was no love lost between Poles and Jews before or after the war. And of course when we say "Jews" in this context, we mean in many cases what had been "Polish Jews" a couple of years before.

The European Jews of that era indeed reported a great enthusiasm among Poles of that era in the enterprise of cleansing Europe of Jewry. While about 2/3 of the Continent's Jews were murdered in the period of 1939-1945, the percentage among Polish Jews -- the single largest population -- was in the high 90s. It is an indefensible statement to say that the Poles played no part in the genocide of Polish Jewry.

That does not change the Polish point of view, that they too were victimized by the Nazis and by the Soviets -- which is also a true statement.

It would indeed be offensive from the Polish point of view to say "Polish death camp," because the Nazis were in fact in charge of those camps, which were staffed by Germans. There were many non-Jewish Poles in those camps as well. So it does not change the fact that a gaffe is a gaffe, that an apology was necessary, and that it was, in fact, given.

I think this pretty much closes out the outrage on this particular subject, but the local righties will no doubt pursue it ad infinitum for whatever mileage they can get.

One more note -- guys, please, this is petty on my part, but I write and edit for a living -- can we please learn the diff between possessive and plural? The plural of Nazi is Nazis. There's no apostrophe.

PFnV

16. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,468 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

Yeah, even today, Poland is considered a hotbed of antisemitism. Obama was still technically incorrect, but I wouldn't be surprised if at least some of the outrage in Poland comes from their insecurity about antisemitism across the country.

Euro 2012: Prepare for racism, anti-Semitism and violence in Poland and Ukraine | Left Foot Forward (with links to more detailed articles)

Rising Anti-Semitism in Poland Is Detailed in New ADL Report

Antisemitism in Poland; is it safe for a Jew to live in Poland? (interesting perspectives on a Polish-themed board - in English)

17. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,029 / 15 / -8

Nik - it certainly crossed my mind that there's an element of that there, perhaps more than an element. I didn't bother looking at the aggrieved party's politics (i.e., is he especially nationalist, to the point of crypto-fascism himself?) It's irrelevant.

He'll get mileage in Poland out of getting an apology out of the U.S. He's getting an apology out of the U.S. because Obama made an oopsie.

I don't think it's productive when "the other guy" uses that tactic -- "consider the victim's crimes" -- so now and then I suppose it behooves me to restrain myself from said tactic.

Obama screwed up, and it would be better if he didn't.

Now that's not to say that we can't go down that road of course... especially when the subject touches on something with the layered history of the Polish/Jewish Tragedy Super Bowl.

When you can't trust a guy to help you beat his own conqueror, you're going to have trust issues... and that's just Partisan vs Partisan bad feeling... The Germans didn't wall up the Ghettoes again without help.

On the Polish side of the equation, it's been decades of "pet peeve" discomfort, because as many Poles died between the Nazis and the Russians during that war as did Jews. In a couple of instances the Poles accuse Jewish partisans of collaborating with the Soviets in massacres against Poles, although it's far fewer instances than the flip side (where Jew-hunting was a way of life for many, whether fighters or not.)

We like our history neat and tidy, and honestly, as a Jew, my heart says "oh hell, the only noise we hear about the flip side of this is from far right Nazi sympathizers."

But for all that, I do know that going through some of my mom's old pictures, I found one of a party of her old office-mates. She had actually penciled into the margin with an arrow, "____, the Litvak anti-semite." (Litvak = Lithuanian; similar story of mutual antipathy; in fact, Lithuanians and Poles have a very commingled history in a lot of ways.)

In my college days, I knew a girl whose parents were Poles... and she was always quick to bring up the neglected suffering of the Poles during the holocaust, when the subject came up (and we were all concerned with the massive tragedies of the world back then.)

And to represent the "clueless distanced perspective" in my own life - I knew a guy when I was in college whose parents were Latvians. His clueless howard-stern-persona best friend from high school decided to tell me once that his father had been in an SS auxiliary -- you know, just for fun. I went with the "that was them, this is us" theory, and we got along great. I saw the guy again maybe 5 years ago (20-odd years later) and I asked him about it. He was apoplectic -- his father was an anti-Nazi dissenter who nearly died in the holocaust himself.

Actually, that guy and I had a good laugh at the whole upfu(kedness of that whole thing.

One thing I will say about why I love America -- whatever that guy's dad had or had not done, it wasn't our problem.

So anyhoo: of course I wish Obama hadn't inadvertently stirred up that pot on the international stage. I think I agree with you that politically, the complaint of the Poles in this regard probably gets the complainant a lot of mileage. Don't want someone getting that kind of mileage out of your gaffe? Don't make the gaffe.

Okay, just wanted to spew something while I drank some morning coffee. Sorry to go so far afield.

PFnV

18. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,019 / 30 / -34

you'd have to be an idiot to reference this in geographical terms. some speech writer needs to be axed, and barry better get a proof reader

to barry's credit, this falls on his staff.....but he should have known

19. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,113 / 3 / -10

He's just as bad as "windbag Biden"

20. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,113 / 3 / -10

He doesn't sound like me, it so happens we speak The Truth, it would have been headlines for months, David Letterman would still be making jokes about it and do you really think MSNBC would have just "dropped it" Mush Mouth Mathhews and MR. Maddow would have had orgasms over it, ON PRIME TIME.