Welcome to PatsFans.com

President Obama at Portsmouth Town Hall, a personal account

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWickedPissah, Aug 11, 2009.

1. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,051 / 20 / -13

Disable Jersey

A recent AP news report motivated me to write the following email to my contacts...

My Vietnam War ex-Navy pilot neighbor & I miraculously scored tix to the closed Health Care town Meeting at Portsmouth High. Despite initial misgivings about all the hassel involved, I went this morning. Got great seats. President Obama was close by, a short football pass away. He spoke informally for awhile addressing what he called distortions and myths about the plan. Then he opened up for questions. Anyone could ask. As a financial type guy and a skeptic particuarly about the financial aspects, which I regard as quite a bit of hand waving, after hearing his repeated assertions that we (the govt) were going to crack down on abuses and save $700 billion of the cost, I was loaded for bear with Tort Reform or lack of same in the plan. Without geting too much into politics and completely rehashing the meeting, he eagerly took on all comers and was very articulate, informative, funny, respectful and responsive to each citizen. It's easy to see how so many folks worship 'The One'. His position is...the plan solves all today's healthcare problems, insuring most everyone, lowering everyone's premium costs, accomodating pre-existing conditons and costing taxpayers making under $250K nothing. Too bad I didn't get called on but understandably so with all the hands asking questions. He ended up with something like this...(paraphrasing) "I know I'm not gonna convince those of you skeptical of the financial aspects but I hope I've informed you about the facts of the plan".

Outside as expected, democracy in action with two large groups of demonstrators facing off against each other across the street. Demonstrators and their signs are fine, but the nimrods on each side with bullhorns yelling insults at each other (WTF? You're gonna convince the other guys with bullhorns???) were obnoxious.

Two things bothered me. Neither was Obama's fault.

First AP news stories claimed there were no questions from skeptics. "The encounter was so friendly, in fact, that by the end Obama was even asking for skeptical questioners to come forward — to no avail."

Absolutely and inexcusably untrue. It's what motivated me to write this. This AP canard gets picked up in all newspapers and internet sources. President Obama ran out of time having asked skeptics for their questions. Many of us had our hands up to be called on but it was physically impossible. I don't know why the writer feels it's important to distort the facts of the meeting to make it appear that everyone was a supporter. As expected, the place was of course stuffed full of Obamabots but still there were several tens of us folks eagerly responding to his request for questions from skeptics. Some few got a chance. He just ran out of time, NOT out of skeptical questions.

The mainstream press really needs to stop making stuff up to suit their fantasies. Too much of this is going on. They do the President a disservice as he capably addressed a few skeptical questions presenting his point of view. No wonder most people no longer trust or read the NY Times, Boston Globe, etc.

Secondly, after the meeting I got asked repeatedly by outside bystanders waiting to glimpse the President, was it civil in there? While the emphasis on civility is welcome, where was all this concern about civility for the last 8 years? On a related issue, my take on these congresscritters facing angry crowds is that those pols show up to a gunfight carrying water pistols. Some of us respect the office of the President of the US, whomever is the occupant. President Obama came prepared, as well he should be as the plan's advocate. Right off the bat he addressed many of the hotbutton issues in the opening remarks, admitedly from his viewpoint, and he was able and willing to answer specific questions well. The congresscritters I've seen who had problems with constituents did several very different things. Unlike Obama, they were not familiar with the legislation they were advocating, and could not answer basic questions. Completely unacceptable. Worse yet, they would blatantly answer a different question than the ones asked, thus frustrating attendies. This BS non-answer tactic did not occur in Portsmouth. Finally, unlike congressional Town Meeting sessions I viewed, the president was very respectful towards citizens asking critical questions. It is ironic that years of Iraq War protest, Bush = Hitler etc. failed to raise the sudden public and press angst about civility that is now suddenly the forefront of concern with a different group of the political folks feeling the heat.

No chance to challenge him to one-on-one hoops post speech.

I hope this is absolution for missing traing camp today.

2. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Good post, but I don't think it's fair to take a swipe at the NYT and Globe due to the AP. AP reports are carried in what, thousands of media outlets? At least be fair and swipe at the AP rather than select outlets who carry their reports.

That said, if you're a white guy I think we all know how that game of hoops would turn out. ;)

3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Thanks for the perspective!

4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +587 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

If you ignore the various lies, half truths and general falacies, I'm sure he put on a terrific show.

5. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,352 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

You mean he said nothing?

6. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

[​IMG]
    YOU ARE GETTING VERY SLEEPY

Hahahaha, just kidding. Good report. I'm with you on the media aspect. The MSM is so dishonest is beyond despicable. I also agree with the "captivating nature" of the ONE. I actually love to listen to him, even though I HATE WHAT HE HAS TO SAY. Not sure that makes sense, but it's true.

I HATE the concept of socialized health care. I think Obama is a disaster of a president for his "government solves all" mentality and the HUGE lurch to the left this country is undergoing. I think the "stiffling" of critical debate and the ramming of policy through congress is UNAMERICAN.

All that said. I'd, without hesitation, go to a beer summit with the ONE. He is an incredibly articulate and charismatic guy.

7. efin98

efin98 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He said plenty...depends on whether you believe his "lies" or his "truths"...but he said plenty.

I give it a few more months...if nothing happens with the bill it will die like the attempt in 1993 and they will start all over again, except this time with an election cycle on their backs.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  8. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,051 / 20 / -13

Disable Jersey

Best and most articulate salesperson I've ever seen. No contest. Extremely impressive. I'd brought a book to read figuring I'd zone out at the propaganda. I was wrong. I really enjoyed every moment he was on stage. Entertaining. Likeable. Self-effacing. Sense of humor. Very very different than the bombastic, elitist, platitude spouting, uninformed congresscritters I've met with only one exception. Surprisingly to me, he's the first Harvard grad of the many I've known who wasn't pretty much a doofus. Knew his talking points well although I just read tonight that the AARP denies his assertion today that they back the plan. Oh, well.

Disclosure: I am not an Obama supporter

9. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +587 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

I never doubted that.

A lie deserves more than an "oh well". Either he lied or he is clueless.

He also claimed "You won’t have to “wait in any lines''.". Lie. Even now we have lines.

He also claimed it would be deficit neutral and that no-one under $250K would have increased taxed.

Liar, liar, obama on fire.

But, yes, he is a good salesman.

10. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Added benefit: He came to New England and his motorcade didn't ruin my day. I loved Bubba, but got a bit tired of him treating my part of the world as an ATM, and the endless traffic disruptions.

The best part of this is that it'll result in a government thing competing with, and eventually totally defeating a private sector thing, which according to Reganomics 101 can't possibly happen.

11. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +587 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

Of course a "government thing" can beat a "private sector thing" if the "government thing" has an uneven playing field.

12. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Fairly considerable "Oh well" doncha think?

Claiming your have the support of someone that you don't. He might be more of a politician than your average politician.

13. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

ahahhahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

14. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,407 / 33 / -54

No Jersey Selected

I don't disagree with ALL of what Obama has done since he has been elected. So it's not just pure hate spewing out when I say that his ability to talk (aka - the wicked tongue) is mainly what got him elected president.

Great post though, dude.

15. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,352 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

Little girl was planted ... daughter of HUGE Obama donor - she's a lawyer.
    Barack has resorted to pimping our children ... :rofl:
    ... can you say snake oil salesman?

[​IMG]...[​IMG]
    http://www.facebook.com/people/Kathleen-Manning-Hall/1545820503

16. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,352 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

17. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,352 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

Local Girl's Question Captures President's Ear - Boston News Story - WCVB Boston

18. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +519 / 14 / -28

I watched the whole thing on TV and thought he did a good job, particularly confronting the hysteria and lies... as far as the young girl went, thought she was a tad unusual... other than that there were skeptics, just because they do not yell and try and get into his face, does not make them all plants...

19. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +305 / 9 / -12

U like the one where he went off teleprompter and said that the UPS and FedEx were well run but the USPS had trouble when he was trying to make the point the Feds should run health care. If Bush had made such a statement it would be plastered. It was the 1 time he was being honest and accurate.

20. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +305 / 9 / -12

From the mouth of children...His TP was upset at him for this blooper.