PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Preseason Red, silver and 'Blues'

Darkpatriot34

Rookie
Reaction score
For one, I am disappointed in our performance of this 2012 preseason. It stinks of complacency and inexperience--even from seasoned veterans. Timing and simple blocking fundamentals were way off the mark.

I have been a Pats fan since the mid 80s. Parcells had us on the right track by investing in a strong defense. Bill seems to be separating away from what his mentors have taught him. Noll, Bullough, LeBeau--etc drafted the obvious young talent and rarely used FA pool to 'band-aid' our wounds.

Personally, the 'versatility' line is getting old. Especially when it is obvious the players cant get the basic fundamentals right.

Solution: Lets draft the best. Put/ leave them in ONE position. Let them grow and learn. If they dont cut it..let them go. Stop marrying ourselves to nonproductive and stagnant players. Keep the ones that excel. Coaches or players.

I guess there's something to be said for being the early bird - though for me ten days before the first game of the season is a tad bit early for declarations on "disappointment in our performance" of 2012.

You're complaining about the draft and the defense; I have to wonder, did you notice who the Pats drafted with their first four picks?

Preseason is not for winning games. There are too many examples to list of teams that went 1-3 or 0-4 in preseason, and then went on to have a great year - and also of the reverse (check out the Lions the year they went 0-16).

Interesting that you don't like versatility. Do you think the Pats made a mistake keeping players like Mike Vrabel and Troy Brown on the roster too?

:welcome:

Last edited:
LB to TE/FB or WR to CB/DB is nothing new to the game of football. It is a common coaching personnel tactic based off athleticism--not fundamentals or talent. It got us through a rough patch in the season due to depletion at that area.

Not something to base a drafting or recruiting strategy on. To use his own words, sometimes they are what they are. They arent gamechangers or even solid performers.

Jones, Hightower and Dennard were the highlights of this draft. All are blazingly obvious because of several years of missing on defensive draft choices. So its like, how can you NOT HIT this year with one of the best defensive draft classes of the millenium.

Dont go scrounging for sleepers and "versatility" when you dont have to. "Versatility" is a smoke and mirrors tactics used when in the heat of battle...not preseason scouting, recruiting or drafting.

Oh,btw, thanks for the welcome...glad to be a part !!!!

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back