PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Preseason game 4 impressions NE @ New Jersy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great breakdown, Box. What's your longterm view of Ohrnberger? Seems like he has some upside, maybe more so than people previously thought.

I also liked that you had McKenzie on your 53. It just seems insane to me to give up on this guy after he had a year wiped out wiped out with an injury.
Big O is a work in progress, Neal got rested last night because he's a crafty old vet who needs to husband his strength. O went the entire game at RG because Dante wants to get lots of game tape to correct errors and give him game experience before the season. O is the Billy Yates who would start at RG when Neal was out to leave Hochstein free for multi-tasking - just don't confuse the role with the man, Dante is grooming Neal's replacement there, not Yate's replacement.

O has a lot to learn, but then so did Neal, and that turned out okay. :cool:

Can't believe McKenzie gets canned either.

Anyone got an opinion on fletcher too? Read that he was doing quite well earlier on but not much recently.
I want Fletcher on the PSquad under development, there's some there there. :rocker:

Nice write-up. I'll add that #86 Butler sucked. He missed a block on special teams. Later he was called for a penalty, and after that he dropped a pass. O.K., so he was going to make the team anyway, so....................let me agree with you on Sergio Brown. That dude just makes plays out there, and has all preseason. He's a special teams monster, and hasn't looked half bad on D either. I like the kid.
I've seen worse than Butler, considering his late start in this offense I saw some good stuff from him last night, if he cooks on the PSquad he could be a solid reserve for NE, but I'd put Myers there before him so it may be moot.

Sergio Brown looked good in games 1 and 4, not so good in 2 and 3. And I'm talking about both Defense and ST here. Still, I don't think he makes the team over a guy like Slater (who probably won't make it either). His ST play is too inconsistent.
But he's learning from his mistakes, I hear coaches like that.

Unlike you, I was not impressed with McKenzie. I think he is truly on the bubble.
"McKenzie is doing okay in his conversion to 3-4 ILB." Hardly the equivalent of "impressed." The kid is doing okay for being a 4-3 LB learning to play the 3-4 after missing an entire Training Camp/Preseason and season with an injury. He makes mistakes Mayo still makes, as you noted with Burgess, there are muscle memories and thought patterns to unlearn and that rarely happens overnight. I can live with the kid developing at #4 on the depth chart.

Agreed on Aiken making the team, but it's not because of his abilities as a WR. He's making it as a special teamer. I would be shocked to see him crack the top five, and get past Edelman and Hernandez, unless injuries were to occur.
Get your TV brick and spare TVs set up and ready. :p Aiken will see playing time ahead of Tate & Price in certain formations and plays because he is a great blocker and he and Tommy are getting together and getting much better at reading the field the same way. He's not the future, but he's not as bad as people try to make him out.

Get your TV brick and spare TVs set up and ready. :p Aiken will see playing time ahead of Tate & Price in certain formations and plays because he is a great blocker and he and Tommy are getting together and getting much better at reading the field the same way. He's not the future, but he's not as bad as people try to make him out.

I'll never question Aiken's blocking. But, if that happens, then I have to think that the team is going to telegraph the screen game. I also don't think that Tate is that bad of a blocker. :cool:

I'll never question Aiken's blocking. But, if that happens, then I have to think that the team is going to telegraph the screen game. I also don't think that Tate is that bad of a blocker. :cool:
Both Tate and Price have looked decent as blockers and are developing nicely.

Telegraphing a screen means the defense reacts, but where you are seeing the negative of a busted play, I (and I'm guessing Billy O and Brady) am seeing the defense falling into a predictable pattern and being set up for a different play - where Aiken will be used as a receiver. Have faith, Sam and Tommy worked on some of those miscommunications that we saw last season - I read trust between those two this preseason. There's a closeness to their play on the field I've seen Brady develop with guys like D-Giv and Patten, not the your mind is my mind closeness like Meion and Welker, but there's good chemistry cooking between Tommy & Sam. :cool: back at ya!

We have to get rid of Maroney, hes affecting Taylor, on a number of those epic 1.5 yard carries, i saw Taylor hop and skip at the line. If i didn't know it was Taylor i would have thought it was Maroney doing his two step. ;)

Maybe these guys are hoping and skipping over blockers laying on they're backs, maybe that was the problem.

Finally, someone understands the seriousness of the situation. It's the slippery slope.

I'm back in the Aiken camp. Liked him preseason last year only to be disapointed. He has exhibited learning and improvement at WR and it's obvious Brady's comfortable with him. Hope to see sergio Brown on the PS at least. He and Fletcher (PS) have shown raw potential. Jenkins is a PS keeper.

I'll accept on respected recommendation the developmental play of Obrgr and (shocking to me!) my favorite Frenchman Pierre Woods!

Last edited:
Hoyer continues to impress. Yeah, he was playing against what Zolak called "a bunch of guys who will be living in their mother's basements next week'...but, he shows poise, has a nice arm, good accuracy, and took a lot of punishment, and kept coming back. That said, hopefully we never need him.....I agree on Taylor Price. He needs a lot of sideline work...shows he can make some nice catches, but has to work on 'dotting the i'. McCourty looked much better this week than last, ups and downs of a rookie.....anyway, the real games are here. Let's get this thing started!

I'm back in the Aiken camp. Liked him preseason last year only to be disapointed. He has exhibited learning and improvement at WR and it's obvious Brady's comfortable with him. Hope to see sergio Brown on the PS at least. He and Fletcher (PS) have shown raw potential. Jenkins is a PS keeper.

I'll accept on respected recommendation the developmental play of Obrgr and (shocking to me!) my favorite Frenchman Pierre Woods!
"Respected?" :ugh:

Pierre is what he is, but he makes the team better. :yeeha:

So..does Alexander make the 53 based on his ST play ?

How many LB's does BB keep....???

I still think Alexander has photos of BB .....

Burgess odd man out?

I was dissappointed in taylor price's ability to get both feet down. This isn't the NCAA you cannot play WR on this level without the ability to get your feet down near the sidelines. I know he is a rook so i believe this is just an awareness issue.

But whenever he goes for the ball while jumping he spreads his legs like he's doing ballet taking away any chance for him to get the second leg down without seriously injuring himself. I have faith in the coaching staff to see that and help him fix it because i like his athleticism and his hands seem reliable.

Woods did look good last night. The fact he's lining up at DE will only help his case for a roster spot. OLB/DE who can produce on ST is just what BB ordered.

Price did not look as good as Jenkins, but maybe he just knows his roster spot is all but locked and was playing it safe. Price certainly looks the part of NFL WR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back