PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Preseason captains a sign for Aiken?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Preseason captains a sign for Aiken ?

Man, a lot has happened over the past few weeks. if Aiken is a lock on the 53, what will the final 53 look like? Someone should start a thread.

Hahahahah!

I would be very surprised if Aiken doesn't make the 53 and isn't a weekly active. The competition for the final WR/ST slots is going to be tight, but make no mistake, these are special teams roster spots first, backup reciever spots only in emergency situations. Out of the group of Aiken, Edelman, Nunn, Slater and Ventrone, Aiken is clearly the "star" in a special teams role. Granted, others may provide more long-term upside, but upside isn't worth much when you're giving up 20 yards on punt returns.

My best guess: Aiken and Edelman make the team as WR/ST players. Aiken wins his spot on special teams merit. Edelman wins his spot with a combination of upside, ability to simulate the wildcat back on the scout team offense, and ability to be the emergency 3rd QB on game day.

This leaves Slater and Ventrone in a battle with Alexander, McGowan, Ciruciru for probably one more special teams slot.

I expect THREE special teams spots. I agree that Aiken has one of them.

As of now, I expect Banta-Cain and Jones to get the other two. Both players are top special teams players. Ciurciu also should have a strong chance to work for his former coach.

Slater, Ventrone and Alexander have been strong special teamers in the past.

LOCK: Aiken
MY CHOICE FOR THE ROSTER: Banta-Cain, Jones
NEXT IN LINE: Ciurciu, Slater, Alexander, Ventrone
OUTSIDE SHOT: Edleman, Nunn, BJGE

I would be very surprised if Aiken doesn't make the 53 and isn't a weekly active. The competition for the final WR/ST slots is going to be tight, but make no mistake, these are special teams roster spots first, backup reciever spots only in emergency situations. Out of the group of Aiken, Edelman, Nunn, Slater and Ventrone, Aiken is clearly the "star" in a special teams role. Granted, others may provide more long-term upside, but upside isn't worth much when you're giving up 20 yards on punt returns.

My best guess: Aiken and Edelman make the team as WR/ST players. Aiken wins his spot on special teams merit. Edelman wins his spot with a combination of upside, ability to simulate the wildcat back on the scout team offense, and ability to be the emergency 3rd QB on game day.

This leaves Slater and Ventrone in a battle with Alexander, McGowan, Ciruciru for probably one more special teams slot.

I'm glad to hear Aiken is a preseason captain. It bodes well for him making the final 53. He's a very solid football player with versatility.

This team sure has some depth...

I expect THREE special teams spots. I agree that Aiken has one of them.

As of now, I expect Banta-Cain and Jones to get the other two. Both players are top special teams players. Ciurciu also should have a strong chance to work for his former coach.

Slater, Ventrone and Alexander have been strong special teamers in the past.

LOCK: Aiken
MY CHOICE FOR THE ROSTER: Banta-Cain, Jones
NEXT IN LINE: Ciurciu, Slater, Alexander, Ventrone
OUTSIDE SHOT: Edleman, Nunn, BJGE

What about McGowan? I prefer him to HD Jones because of his ability to actually play the Safety position. My depth chart would look like:
Aiken
TBC, McG
Bubba, Edelman, LawFirm, Nunn
Ciurciu, HDJ, Slater, Alexander

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill