Welcome to PatsFans.com

Prescription Drug Use Rose to Include Half of Americans in 2008

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Sep 5, 2010.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +452 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

Just my opinion....it's time we made prescription drug commercials illegal.

"Almost half of Americans took at least one prescription drug per month in 2008, an increase of 10 percent over the past decade, a U.S. study found.

One of every five children ages 11 or younger took at least one medication each month in 2008, led by asthma and allergy treatments, according to the survey released today by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Among those ages 60 or older, 37 percent used five or more prescriptions per month."

Prescription Drug Use Rose to Include Half of Americans in 2008 - Bloomberg

Here's someone else's commentary on the above article which I totally agree with. It's also pretty funny

"Prescription drug were a $234.1billion industry in 2008. The number is certainly higher today. Are pharmaceutical companies interested in curing anything or just treating the symptoms?

Throughout grade and high school, I do not recall any kids with attention problems. How is it that attention-deficit disorder is now so widespread? Are kids today different? Why?

I do not like the way drugs are advertised. Is anyone else with me on this?

What's up with the "ask your doctor about the purple pill" campaign? What does the color have to do with reasons to take a pill. The most annoying thing about the ad are versions that do not even say what the drug is for, they simply stress the color purple, telling you to ask your doctor about it."

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  2. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

It used to be illegal to advertise prescription drugs and it should be again. It's a capitalistic industry that seeks to increase consumption while clothing itself with the language of disease and cure. Legal peddlers.

Should prescription drugs be illegal? Of course not. Should they be regulated? Of course. Should drug companies design drugs to legitimately benefit humanity? Of course. Do they? Almost certainly not.

3. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,384 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

IDK ... you can screw with my taxes and screw with my health insurance.

But leave my drugs alone ... as long as I have them I can tolerate all the rest. ;););)

4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 15 / -13

Religion used to be the opiate of the masses. Now we just prescribe them opiates. It's so much easier, and it keeps society under the control of the establishment. Now, when you're feeling depressed, it's not because the bank foreclosed on your house, your wife ran off with your neighbor, or you just go laid off, it's because there's something wrong with you. Just take a drug. It will make you feel better. In general, in my opinion, if there are bad things going on, it's okay to be depressed; if you want to be a police officer, it probably doesn't hurt to be a little paranoid; if you want to be a minister, a little bit of schizophrenia may serve you; if you want to be a secretary, some OCD might actually help; and if you add or adhd, then chances are you're probably someone who thinks outside the box. While there are many illnesses that justify medication, I think our nation is way too overprescribed. (But the drug companies do bring great lunches to the office, and in a low-paying field it's much appreciated.)

5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +529 / 14 / -28

Big Pharma has a ton of money and influence inside of the beltway...

The contribute on the average of 20.68 K to every republican in the house, and 18.49 to ever dem in the house

They contribute on the average 36.45K to every dem in the senate, and 33.67 to every republican in the senate

Pharmaceuticals / Health Products | OpenSecrets

Money talks..

Did you ever think why there are so many pharmacies around...

In a nearby town, Coventry, RI, within a two mile radius there are:

3 CVS, two of which are brand new and huge
    1 Wal Mart
    1 Stop and Shop
    1 Walgreens
    1 Rite Aid
    1 Local Prescription company

That is 8 places to get prescriptions, and invariably there is a line and the people behind the counter always look busy.. it is anecdotal, but from a casual observer they seem as though a lot of money if flowing..

6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +832 / 2 / -9

I agree Strudel, everything you said is right on.

7. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I wonder about Anti-depressants, but I figure since I skipped Medical School what do I know?

I do know that the boomers are getting to that age. I'm not about to feel like we're all a bunch of drug addicts because at this moment in history a large percentage of us are old and in real need of these medicines. Then when the boomers all eventually die and a smaller percentage of us are old I won't turn around and feel like we've kicked some kind of national drug addiction.

I also figure that all the 40something yr old men on Lipitor used to often die of Heart Attacks. So their presence on the "uses drugs' roll isn't a bad thing since they wouldn't be here at all if they weren't.

Not to mention all the people on Prevacid who used to have to deal with an expensive, painful and even somewhat dangerous Ulcer operation. Being a surgeon who deals with Ulcers has become pretty easy work, and that's not a bad thing either.

Where are we if you correct for the three things I've mentioned plus prolly dozens of other factors I missed?

8. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 15 / -13

If we did more to educate young people at a young age about the joys of healthy eating and discouraged their addiction to unhealthy snacks, they might be healthier, but Frito-Lay and Pfizer would be sicker. I think the same goes for something like prevacid. Too often our solution to troubles is a pill, when the real solution lies in a change of lifestyle. All the pills are useful, but it seems to me our national focus (through education, the FDA, etc.) should be to encourage healthier behaviors that are sustainable. That said, in the absence of that, at least we have pills. Also, when you consider that our success in reducing infant mortality has resulted in our gene pool becoming more contaminated, maybe that too is driving the need for medications. I think there are many examples of overmedicating (shaking leg syndrome, a lot of ADD, certain types of depression, as well as giving people too much of a good thing), but that medication is often very practical and useful.

9. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +232 / 6 / -3

#91 Jersey

I agree with you totally, companies shouldn't be allowed to advertise meds like they do. Theres one commercial for what amounts to fish oil which you can buy over the counter. Also there is a lot of modern day snake oil selling going on

10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +679 / 7 / -2

What have I been saying about the cost of healthcare, and the fact that there are now CVS's at every corner? Prescription drugs fellas. OH, and it's a good thing we're drugging 6 and 7 year olds in our schools too. Big Pharma says thank you.

So when Obamacare covers all the illegals and low lifes inside our borders, how many more prescription users do you think we'll all be paying for? Exactly.

11. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey