Welcome to PatsFans.com

Pres Gerald Ford (R) - Iraq invasion is a "mistake"

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by mikey, Dec 28, 2006.

1. mikey

mikey Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

The democrats didn't agree with him on that either, they all voted FOR the war.
  3. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -1

He did? Really? This is a classic case of reporting with an angle. Here is the NY Daily News writers view:

Ford was a few weeks shy of his 93rd birthday as we chatted for about 45 minutes. He'd been visited by President Bush three weeks earlier and said he'd told Bush he supported the war in Iraq but that the 43rd President had erred by staking the invasion on weapons of mass destruction.

"Saddam Hussein was an evil person and there was justification to get rid of him," he observed, "but we shouldn't have put the basis on weapons of mass destruction. That was a bad mistake. Where does [Bush] get his advice?"

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/483757p-407239c.html

So is Woodward shaping the quotes to fit his agenda? Or is DeFrank misunderstanding the Ford's position? Hmmm... See, this is a classic example of MSM reporting. Different reporters & outlets, will report the same story differently. This is why I try to read as many sources as possible.
  4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

Ford played the weak leader right up to the end.

Consider that he told the president he supported the war and that he told Woodward on tape, "I don't think I would have gone to war."

And consider this other nonanswer:

"But he didn't like Bush's domestic surveillance program. 'It may be a necessary evil,' he conceded. 'I don't think it's a terrible transgression, but I would never do it. I was dumbfounded when I heard they were doing it.'"

To me it seems like he wants to disagree without appearing disagreeable.
  5. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Patters, in case you havent been paying attention, thats pretty much EVERY politician to ever walk the face of the earth isnt it?
  6. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -1

I agree with Turd below. EVERY politician does this. That's why I like decisive leaders. At the very least, I know where such people stand.

Anyhow, I wasn't questioning Ford's position on Iraq, as much as I was trying to shed light on how sources report the same news. I thought that the two sources, with a different position regarding the same exact person & topic, did that.
  7. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

That's true, but you kind of hope a 93 year old dude, with nothing to lose, would actually state what he believes, rather than what's politically correct!
  8. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

At 93, you can hardly expect reasonable cohesion of one's thoughts never mind political acumen.
  9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

Gerald Ford was much more successful and went on to be a figure that will be remembered in America's History Books and whose portrait will also hang in the White House.

President Ford has done what most of his loser critics and Uncle Teddy/Kerry/Gore/ and the rest of the phony Haters couldn't even do in one of their wildest wet dreams.
    :bricks:
  10. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

you mean like allowing his administration to be taken over by Cheney and Rumsfeld? i know another president who repeated that same mistake...
  11. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Really? Bush doesn't look anywhere near 93!:D