PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Predictions for '16 FAs

Personally, I would love to see Lamar Miller here but I don't think we will offer enough money to be competitive with some of the other RB starved teams.

Apart from that I really expect Barkevious Mingo to end up with us. Feels like the obvious Browns firesale connection.
I'd also really like to get Miller or another free agent Rb but I just cant see BB paying for a guy, especially with the fact that they will come out for passing situations for Lewis/White. So I have put all my eggs into the Arian Foster basket.

I'd also really like to get Miller or another free agent Rb but I just cant see BB paying for a guy, especially with the fact that they will come out for passing situations for Lewis/White. So I have put all my eggs into the Arian Foster basket.

I think I'm with you on this one. There's no real need to pay miller the money hell command when we have Lewis returning ( hopefully he the injury doesn't do much to how he plays.). If Lewis is back fully I think he's better than miller when t comes to catching the ball. I don't think anybody can make a defender miss as easily as Lewis can.

Matt Forte will also likely become a cap casualty, so hopefully the vet RB market will turn into a buyer's market.
At this point, we need better than Blunt. Is there a RB named Bong who's draft-eligible?

Matt Forte will also likely become a cap casualty, so hopefully the vet RB market will turn into a buyer's market.
At this point, we need better than Blunt. Is there a RB named Bong who's draft-eligible?
Forte is going to be a free agent but lynch and foster seem likely to get cut. I do think it will be a buyer's market but ivory and forte will be the guys who will command the most money

My top FA's to Target if the chance is given.

Ladarius Green. TE. San diego Chargers.
I think he's a huge upgrade over Chandler and potentially could be a Hernandez replacement.

My other is
Bobby Massie RT Arizona
I think he would be a great player on this team. He's an extremely physical player (6'6 315lbs, 36 inch arms) and good in protection for 2 seconds, but suffers a little when forced to block for extended periods of time in Arians down field scheme. I think you cut Cannon and use his 3 million plus some to go out and target this guy. He could be a low ke,y Sheard type of singing for our O-line. He's only 26 years old too. AZ most likely won't resign him because they drafted a RT this past draft in the 1st. Could eventually replace SEABASS.

I like Green, but we need athleticism - lots more - than what Massie gives. We already have plenty of fat, right side-only blobs polluting the roster.

I like Green, but we need athleticism - lots more - than what Massie gives. We already have plenty of fat, right side-only blobs polluting the roster.

I like Massie on a 1 year, more preferably a 2 year prove it deal in the 3-6 million a season range. Kinda like Jabaal Sheard. I think this would allow us to skip over on the Tackle position this year, which I think is probably a good idea seeing how we don't have a first.

Yes, be cause a guy who is 350lbs and 10% body fat is such a fat blob :rolleyes:

I like Massie on a 1 year, more preferably a 2 year prove it deal in the 3-6 million a season range. Kinda like Jabaal Sheard. I think this would allow us to skip over on the Tackle position this year, which I think is probably a good idea seeing how we don't have a first.

Massie is likely going to receive a 4 year deal somewhere in the $16-$20M range..

Massie is likely going to receive a 4 year deal somewhere in the $16-$20M range..

He most certainly worth every bit of 4 million a year, and I wouldn't mind paying him 5 if we had to. 2 years of Front loaded guarantees, sing me up.

He most certainly worth every bit of 4 million a year, and I wouldn't mind paying him 5 if we had to. 2 years of Front loaded guarantees, sing me up.

With what money? Please don't include any of the potential money from Cutting /Not picking up options since that will need to go towards extending guys like Collins, Jones, Butler, and Ryan..

With what money? Please don't include any of the potential money from Cutting /Not picking up options since that will need to go towards extending guys like Collins, Jones, Butler, and Ryan..

Cannon.... goodbye. With that cut alone, you're saving 3.7 million. With the cap rising 10 million, the extra 300k to 1 million isn't very much. Yes Massi doesn't offer the versatility that Cannon does, but with Andrews and last years interior OL picks , I think Tackle depth is much more of a concern that interior depth.

Thats why I mentioned Jones being a cap casualty. Collins and Hightower are must keeps. I think we should look to extend Bulter this season, If we could grab him for like 7 million a season, 3-5 seasons, that would be Amazing. 8-9 would be acceptable.

Last edited:
You keep Chandler Jones on his option. He should be extremely motivated in order to
get a big deal. Even if he walks after next season, we'll get a 3 in 2018 as comp.

Miguel has us about 5.6m under headed into free agency. That's with Hightower
and Chandler playing under options picked up. Easy to add another 10m to that
by letting Mayo, Cannon and Chris Jones go. Re-do Amendola and extend Hightower.
Now, you've got about 20m. Hope we can extend; Collins, Butler and Ryan.

Our biggest need would be a thumper at rb IMO. Fill in free agency. Not a big name.
Too expensiv. Might be able to get that 3rd tackle in 2nd round. Hope to add a lb and cb in Round 3. Sign a cheap vet at ILB in free agency. J. Brinkley??

I would argue that the Pats have never been in a better positionally in regards to finances and team building as they are this summer. The amount of work they have put in over the previous five seasons has been remarkable, and will allow for a lot of flexibility this summer.

I think you could make the case for a lot of different types of signings at multiple different positions, given the ability to clear space rather simply. We do not have one contract right now that will hamper the team next year. Think about that for a second. Every contract we have is either below value, proper value, or easily cut without large penalty. All that with incredible depth and players still developing in their roles.

Its hilarious thinking about a team that won 3 titles in 4 years in its recent past now being in its glory years, but the work the front office has done has been nothing short of remarkable and should get a lot more credit than it does.

We do not have one contract right now that will hamper the team next year. Think about that for a second.

I'd rather extend our own guys this off-season. We don't need any big-ticket
items. BB is always thinking ahead. Not just on 2016.

I'd rather extend our own guys this off-season. We don't need any big-ticket
items. BB is always thinking ahead. Not just on 2016.

No question, that has been a hallmark of his regime. Signing our own won't take us out of the market though.

It's also important to remember that not many will actually get re-signed this summer. Belichick has never given out more than two large contracts in a single summer, and I don't imagine that will change. Two will most likely get extended, some others will play out their current deals. We will probably see the return of the franchise tag next summer as well.

We have a lot of options, but not all of them will be used. Some will be frustrated we don't keep more when we can, but BB will always keep flexibility as a core function of his management philosophy.

No question, that has been a hallmark of his regime. Signing our own won't take us out of the market though.

It's also important to remember that not many will actually get re-signed this summer. Belichick has never given out more than two large contracts in a single summer, and I don't imagine that will change. Two will most likely get extended, some others will play out their current deals. We will probably see the return of the franchise tag next summer as well.

We have a lot of options, but not all of them will be used. Some will be frustrated we don't keep more when we can, but BB will always keep flexibility as a core function of his management philosophy.

I would consider Hightower and Collins 2 big deals. Hope we extend both. Not sure if you consider Butler and Ryan big tickets. But, given our past troubles drafting cb's. I consider it imperative we keep both. Might get a deal on Malcolm. He really doesn't have any negotiation power. Ryan could walk after next year. CB's are too expensive to tag.

I would consider Hightower and Collins 2 big deals. Hope we extend both. Not sure if you consider Butler and Ryan big tickets. But, given our past troubles drafting cb's. I consider it imperative we keep both. Might get a deal on Malcolm. He really doesn't have any negotiation power. Ryan could walk after next year. CB's are too expensive to tag.

If i had to guess, they will extend Hightower and Collins this summer. Both Butler and Ryan getting deals may be a reach. I see it as an either or this summer with them. They may want to try and get Ryan locked up to put some pressure on Butler to sign early, and as a bit of early insurance. They could also not value the 2nd CB spot like we do, and see that as a position they could make work with cheaper options. If they do get Butler signed, I doubt there would be much upfront money (5-8mil) since there will be enough other signing bonuses to take care of first.

Chandler Jones I was skeptical they would pay before the recent incident, so I will be really interested to see how that plays out. They may just let him play out his last year and let him walk, or see if there is a market for him this summer. Who knows?

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Back