Status
Not open for further replies.

Ring 6

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Randy Moss will have more catches, yards and TDs in the next 2 seasons (also predicting he wont be gone after 1 year) here than any WR drafted last weekend.

I dont think that is a reach at all. I think Calvin Johnson is the only one in the argument, and I think there is no way he outproduces Moss.

Of course I am framing the argument, but (assuming Moss is here at least 2 years, and at least equals C Johnson produciton) at what draft slot would you have taken Calvin Johnson, if you were certain he would come in and play at an all-pro level from day 1, but would only sign for 2 years, and told you he will not stay beyond that no matter what?

Randy Moss will have more catches, yards and TDs in the next 2 seasons (also predicting he wont be gone after 1 year) here than any WR drafted last weekend.

I dont think that is a reach at all. I think Calvin Johnson is the only one in the argument, and I think there is no way he outproduces Moss.

Of course I am framing the argument, but (assuming Moss is here at least 2 years, and at least equals C Johnson produciton) at what draft slot would you have taken Calvin Johnson, if you were certain he would come in and play at an all-pro level from day 1, but would only sign for 2 years, and told you he will not stay beyond that no matter what?
Mods, can we get a "STICKY"??

Why stipulate the "told you he wouldn't stay no matter what" part? I haven't heard that part of the signing :)

At any rate: all those things stipulated, I do not think the Pats pick Johnson, anywhere on the board. A rook coming in and demanding a 2 year contract ONLY...? That would just throw in another variable we don't want other rooks throwing in.

But again, I feel like I am always running to catch up to what's going on.

PFnV

Why stipulate the "told you he wouldn't stay no matter what" part? I haven't heard that part of the signing :)

At any rate: all those things stipulated, I do not think the Pats pick Johnson, anywhere on the board. A rook coming in and demanding a 2 year contract ONLY...? That would just throw in another variable we don't want other rooks throwing in.

But again, I feel like I am always running to catch up to what's going on.

PFnV

My point wasnt that the guy was saying that, I was illustrating that if we get 2 years out of Moss, at a higher level than any drafted WR, there is a ton of value.
I framed the scenario that way to show only a 2 year window of highly effective play, to push aside the long term gains. I would have used the 28 to get a guy who would be better than anyone at his position in the draft for the next 2 years then its a crapshoot thereafter.

Stipulating a crapshoot, rather than a 2 year rookie deal, absolutely agree.

ROI on a 4th rounder (Moss)? We don't usually necessarily expect him to be on the field that year. We hope for it, of course.

He's on warning, in terms of character. But the Moss deal seems structured to indemnify the team against risk as best as can be expected.

Let's put it this way: IF you're going to go grab a Randy Moss, the Pats did it the right way.

PFnV

PS, I do think the Moss deal will work out, and he won't be mooning any fans. He's on notice. I am rooting for Randy to make the NE transition... but if not, we've made it a low-impact move to clean house.

Stipulating a crapshoot, rather than a 2 year rookie deal, absolutely agree.

ROI on a 4th rounder (Moss)? We don't usually necessarily expect him to be on the field that year. We hope for it, of course.

He's on warning, in terms of character. But the Moss deal seems structured to indemnify the team against risk as best as can be expected.

Let's put it this way: IF you're going to go grab a Randy Moss, the Pats did it the right way.

PFnV

PS, I do think the Moss deal will work out, and he won't be mooning any fans. He's on notice. I am rooting for Randy to make the NE transition... but if not, we've made it a low-impact move to clean house.

Actually I predict IMO that Stallworth will catch about 50 and Moss about 50, It's Welker underneath who will be so lonely he can eat a sandwich waiting for a Brady pass to hit him wide open as the deep safeties and CB's are chasing the Stallworth,/Moss tandem down the field.
I say Welker will have 80 catches because you can't double cover everyone. Watson benefits too.
Now lets consider Maroney. Once he gets by the line. he's gone. There will be no such thing as in the box safeties against NE next year.

Screen passes? The D lineman had better know how to run because Faulk and Maroney will be fifteen yards downfield before the DB's come back up. I am not trying to get too giddy because injuries and stuff happens, but think of the possibilities? I was not really in favor of this deal. Thought Stallworth was enough.

There are Moss haters amongst the Pats fans, but be honest, this is a remarkable and smart move by the "The Godfather". I am awed by the potential. It's converting me. Maybe the FO is smart after all.

All things being equal, T.O. is a jerk but he actually was one of the main reasons that the Eagles made the SB. Just one WR made a difference with his monster year. I can't even remember who their other WR was. You have to give T.O. credit. He wanted the SB! Now he did blow up the team, so we need to have someone sitting on Randy.

I think Moss is a dark character, but in an understated way. He's not T.O. He was more talent than T.O. If he really wants a ring, Randy it's up to you.

They gave up a fifth for Gabriel, A forth for Moss but we do have Porter to go (a third?). The Pats must have the Raiders on speed dial. Lets not use the third. It stops with Moss.
DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye