PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Prediction: Sports Il.

scout

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
This is one reason why I do not like this magazine. Only saw these predictions because my wife bought me a Red Sox ornament and beer opener (really cool) and SI came with it as a package. The Yankees beat the Sox because the Sox's lineup is old, half the players over 32. In addition, they say Lowell will not repeat last season's numbers. Yea, that NY line-up gets carded every night. Truth be told, I see five starters from the Sox who I'd take over the Yankees ( Youk, Ortiz, Ellsbury, Dustin, Manny [exchange Crisp for Ellsbury if you'd like] ). Didn't mention that Posada's contract year season will not be matched this year. The most absurd assumption is the three up and coming pitcher of NY, which none have thrown a complete season in the majors, is being trumpted over the Sox. I guess I'm biased, because I'd have to go with Beckett, Dice-K, and Lester. Speaking of really getting old, how much longer claiming Riveria as the ultimate closer, or is it Joba? No where in the article did it mention Paplebon, who I consider the premier closer in baseball, and if he is not, it isn't because of anyone wearing pinstripes.

I like Sports Illistrated for the freeze frames.

The Yankees beat the Sox because the Sox's lineup is old, half the players over 32.
They really mentioned that as a slight to the Red Sox lineup? Were they aware that six of the NYY regulars are 34 or older?

I don't think that age matters much (other than the Kenny Lofton's of the world), but if they really said that the age of the Red Sox lineup was concerning enough to give the edge to NYY then they should do some research. The fact that the NYY lineup scored 100 more runs than Boston last year should give them the offensive edge, not the fact that they are older. Especially since they're not.

It's a toss up between the two. Each team has question marks. The Yankees are going to score 950 runs this year. They could, although it's difficult, score 1,000. That's going to win a lot of games against mediocre to bad pitching staffs. So the Yankees starting pitching doesn't have to be as good during softball (the regular) season as does the Sox. The Sox should score, but they won't like the Yankees. The pitching staffs are generally similar, although I give the Sox the edge (certainly in the post season, but the softball season comes first) there. They both have a 1, 3 punch they rely on, an older veteran, and a couple of young unknowns. The bottom line is that you don't know what Lester, Kennedy, Buckholz, or Hughes is going to give you. The pens are anchored very well, but what comes before them isn't. Some good arms, but no givens. What the Yanks give up in rotation, they make up for with runs. It's a toss up if you ask me, especially when you consider how improved Tampa & Toronto are this year. Not a lot of give me's in the AL East, or the AL overall this season.

Now, if you want to discuss the post season, that's different. I think the Sox are built a lot better for it, than the Yankees are.

There are probably more Yankee fans on staff than Red Sox fans. Why do you think every year is the Jets year to make some thunder or every year is the year the Giants go to the Super Bowl? The New York media loves their teams (especially when it comes to strutinizing the star players).

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back