PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Prediction: NFC will be the stronger conference in 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I think Carolina, Tampa, Atlanta, Seattle, the Giants will be stronger than Pittsburgh, Indy, Jacksonville, Denver etc. The Pats will win the Sb anyway, But I think the conference tide will turn, overall, this year.

PonyExpress said:
I think Carolina, Tampa, Atlanta, Seattle, the Giants will be stronger than Pittsburgh, Indy, Jacksonville, Denver etc. The Pats will win the Sb anyway, But I think the conference tide will turn, overall, this year.

Thanks for the respect to Carolina. I'm hoping for a Pats, Panthers rematch myself. Just came by to see how you guys thought you did in the draft and free agency. Maroney was a great pickup for sure. Have a great season. Hope to see you in early 2007!

Last edited:
Interesting thread. I can't say that I strongly disagree with the general statement, but I do disagree with your choices

Carolina- yes, they are a strong team. Agree
Tampa - disagree. They havea good RB, good coach, good D, but still many holes
Atlanta - I'm not sold on Vick taking them past the first round of the playoffs, and if the division is stronger as you predict, I can see them being a middle of the pack team.

Seattle - they'll be good, but with a few free agent losses and other teams improving I seem them as no better than a 10-6 team

Giants - big question mark. They have a history of being great one year and being crappy the next. Having said that, they looked great last year ( Until Carolina beat the snot out of em), even playing with 3rd string LB's due to injury.

My NFC Picks:

Dallas - Tuna has had a few years to put his team together. This year, watch out.

Chicago - like the Pats in recent years , they have a team of many mid-salary type players who have bought in to their coach's system ( Granted , no Brady). But look at their D. Young, disciplined, and hungry. Watch out for them too.

Could be, I know my fear of other AFC teams is dropping by the year. I would like SD but they're a high risk with Rivers. Cincy could be good once Palmer is 100% if their defense gets better. Indy/Denver/Pitt, pretty much same old, same old there except Indy is likely seeing their window closing with Edge gone and Harrison getting older.

what holes does TBay need to fill?

QB: Simms time to develope into a better player
RB: Cadillac..OROY
FB: Alstott..back again
WR: Galloway ..tremendous last year | Clayton - injured a lot but had a promising rookie season before | Stovall - didnt we all want him?
TE: Smith - impressive rookie whos got a lot of potential and Becht
OL: The got like 3 OL in draft..good picks too

DE: Rice..1 of the best. Spires is very good
DT: McFarland..very good and Hovan who used to be very good till some troubles and laziness
LBs: very good core..Brooks is a top OLb..Quarles is a very good MLB
CB: 1 of the best duos..Barber + Kelley..with Bolden and 1 of the PSU kids..forgot which 1
S: Allen and Philips is pretty good.

so anyways
ATL - forget Vick for a second..1 of the best rushing teams..1 of the best TEs and WRs that need Vick to play better. Their D is improved with 1 of the best DL now..Abraham and Kerny with Rod Coleman as the middle man. Williams played well and they have Brady Smith..Ed Hartwell who got hurt..Hall was a pro bowler..they added Jimmy Williams as a CB/FS

Giants - made it far but Manning was inconsistent at the end along with Plaxico and the injuried D
Barber is 1 of the best RBs..they added Moss to add speed and quickness to Plaxico-Toomer group of WRs. Shockey is a top TE .. OL is good if they can control penalties. Strahan + Osi..1 of the best. Added a lot of DBs..Demps..Madison..McQuarters. LBs are very good led by Pierce and Arrington.

My picks for top NFC teams(no order)
Cardinals - top 10 last year..Dansby coming back healthy. One of the best WR duos and added a RB in Edge that will help tremendously. Got Leonard Pope too..big TE and their OL got a little work

Giants - look like a great team from roster POV and have a tough coach.

Panthers - Lost Witherspoon but got Diggs..Williams will add speed to RB and Johnson will help relief Smith from double coverage

Redskins - New O cordinator..guy who got the Chiefs offense a top league past few years..Portis will breakout since hes got a nice system to work in now and they have more weapons at WR. They added a pass rusher in Carter and Archuleta is better than Clark and incase Taylors trouble gets him in prison.

Lions - yes..suprise. They got good WRs..Martz is an offensive genius and Kevin Jones is a young and very fast RB. QB situation needs to get resolved and defensivly..Rogers was a pro bowl DT..Lehman is coming back..Bailey is gonna be back healthy and they added Sims whos 1 of the fastest LBs in the draft. Bryant and Bly are a good duo when healthy at CB. Henderson and Martz as cordinators and Marinelli as HC..should be a hugely improved team

Rams - Bulger coming back healthy..they might actually use their RBs right without Martz! Same WR corps and on defense they added a great DT..Little should be a little better with addition and Witherspoon will play MLB for them and finally give them some skill there. Hill, top CB in draft will battle for starting spot and win..Chavous fills Archuleta's shoes easily

Top AFC Teams
Patriots - Brady got some new toys..D will be fine without McGinest. Harrison hopefully comes back 110%

Dolphins - Saban did a very good job last year..Brown will be better player..Chambers gets a QB that, when healthy ,is very good. Little concerned about their D..Lost Madison but added two Allens,

Ravens - If McNair ends up as a Raven..they will go to playoffs. Lewis should have a better year with Mike Anderson and PJ Daniels helping out..Mason is already a great WR and Clayton improves as he gets experience. They got Williams in the draft to give them a deep threat WR. Heap is a great TE..Lewis should be making plays with Ngata in front of him like he wanted. Secondary still seems like 1 of the best and they got Trevor Pryce. Suggs is still questionable as to where to play..DE or OLB but either way hes a beast pass rusher

Chargers - Sure Brees is gone but their weakness was DB..they added Cromartie to give them a playmaker. Their front 7 was 1 of the best last year..LT got some new blockers in front and Gates is very good

Steelers - Got Holmes to take Randel El's spot..roster isnt much different besides Hope being gone and Clark filling in and they lost von Olhofen but should be fine

Bengals - if Palmer is healthy..right up there. CJ is a top WR..Rudi is underrated. offense is fine. their weakness was D. They added Joseph to replace aging James. Madieu Williams was a great rookie..now coming back from injury. Added Sam Williams in middle to help against run.

Browns - Droughns is a tough runner and we might actually see some Winslow this year for first time. Edwards will be gone till October-November though from ACL. Defense is largly improved..McGinest..Jackson..Washington additions.

Broncos - Added Walker..lost Anderson and Putzier but should be fine without them..D is bascially same besides loss of Pryce but added another Brown in Lang

Last edited:
Tampa...

Simms had a mediocre 81.4 QB rating in 11 regular season games and a lowsy 56.7 QBR in the playoff loss to Washington. He's got upside, but I'd like to see more.

Ages of some of the key players on the Bucs...

Joey Galloway, 34
Mike Alstott, 32
Simeon Rice, 32
Ronde Barber, 31
Derrick Brooks, 33
Shelton Quarles, 35
Brian Kelly, 30
Juran Bolden, 34

Plus, they still have weaknesses at both OT spots.

Giants...
Eli is overrated. Unless he improves his accuracy, the Giants will be no better than playoff fodder. Manning had a 75.9 QBR and looked lost against a banged up Carolina defense in the playoffs.

Dolphins...
For all his media acclaim, Saban's Dolphins could have just as easily finished 6-10 as 9-7. They caught Denver and the Pats at the right time (beginning and end of season) and the shocking upset at SD could have just as easily been a loss. Unlike BB, Saban is a dictator who runs everything. He doesn't have a personnel man of Scott Pioli's caliber. Sure, Saban was a great college coach, but success in the NCAA doesn't usually translate into success at the NFL level. If he learned coaching from BB, it must have been from BB's Cleveland years.

Ravens...
McNair is in the twilight of his career and the Ravens defense isn't as good as it used to be.

Broncos...
Denver hurt themselves drafting a QB. I can't see how they got better in 2006.

BTW, don't count out the Eagles. IMO, they'll be back in 2006.

Remix 6 said:

WR: Galloway ..tremendous last year | Clayton - injured a lot but had a promising rookie season before | Stovall - didnt we all want him?

DT: McFarland..very good and Hovan who used to be very good till some troubles and laziness
CB: 1 of the best duos..Barber + Kelley..with Bolden and 1 of the PSU kids..forgot which 1

so anyways
ATL - forget Vick for a second..1 of the best rushing teams..1 of the best TEs and WRs that need Vick to play better. Their D is improved with 1 of the best DL now..Abraham and Kerny with Rod Coleman as the middle man. Williams played well and they have Brady Smith..Ed Hartwell who got hurt..Hall was a pro bowler..they added Jimmy Williams as a CB/FS

Giants - made it far but Manning was inconsistent at the end along with Plaxico and the injuried D
Barber is 1 of the best RBs..they added Moss to add speed and quickness to Plaxico-Toomer group of WRs. Shockey is a top TE .. OL is good if they can control penalties. Strahan + Osi..1 of the best. Added a lot of DBs..Demps..Madison..McQuarters. LBs are very good led by Pierce and Arrington.

Cardinals - top 10 last year..Dansby coming back healthy. One of the best WR duos and added a RB in Edge that will help tremendously. Got Leonard Pope too..big TE and their OL got a little work

Panthers - Lost Witherspoon but got Diggs..Williams will add speed to RB and Johnson will help relief Smith from double coverage

Redskins - New O cordinator..guy who got the Chiefs offense a top league past few years..Portis will breakout since hes got a nice system to work in now and they have more weapons at WR. They added a pass rusher in Carter and Archuleta is better than Clark and incase Taylors trouble gets him in prison.

Lions - yes..suprise. They got good WRs..Martz is an offensive genius and Kevin Jones is a young and very fast RB. QB situation needs to get resolved and defensivly..Rogers was a pro bowl DT..Lehman is coming back..Bailey is gonna be back healthy and they added Sims whos 1 of the fastest LBs in the draft. Bryant and Bly are a good duo when healthy at CB. Henderson and Martz as cordinators and Marinelli as HC..should be a hugely improved team

Rams - Bulger coming back healthy..they might actually use their RBs right without Martz! Same WR corps and on defense they added a great DT..Little should be a little better with addition and Witherspoon will play MLB for them and finally give them some skill there. Hill, top CB in draft will battle for starting spot and win..Chavous fills Archuleta's shoes easily

Top AFC Teams
Patriots - Brady got some new toys..D will be fine without McGinest. Harrison hopefully comes back 110%

Dolphins - Saban did a very good job last year..Brown will be better player..Chambers gets a QB that, when healthy ,is very good. Little concerned about their D..Lost Madison but added two Allens,

Ravens - If McNair ends up as a Raven..they will go to playoffs. Lewis should have a better year with Mike Anderson and PJ Daniels helping out..Mason is already a great WR and Clayton improves as he gets experience. They got Williams in the draft to give them a deep threat WR. Heap is a great TE..Lewis should be making plays with Ngata in front of him like he wanted. Secondary still seems like 1 of the best and they got Trevor Pryce. Suggs is still questionable as to where to play..DE or OLB but either way hes a beast pass rusher

Chargers - Sure Brees is gone but their weakness was DB..they added Cromartie to give them a playmaker. Their front 7 was 1 of the best last year..LT got some new blockers in front and Gates is very good

Steelers - Got Holmes to take Randel El's spot..roster isnt much different besides Hope being gone and Clark filling in and they lost von Olhofen but should be fine

Bengals - if Palmer is healthy..right up there. CJ is a top WR..Rudi is underrated. offense is fine. their weakness was D. They added Joseph to replace aging James. Madieu Williams was a great rookie..now coming back from injury. Added Sam Williams in middle to help against run.

Browns - Droughns is a tough runner and we might actually see some Winslow this year for first time. Edwards will be gone till October-November though from ACL. Defense is largly improved..McGinest..Jackson..Washington additions.

Broncos - Added Walker..lost Anderson and Putzier but should be fine without them..D is bascially same besides loss of Pryce but added another Brown in Lang

Remix,
after your detailed analysis of TB and Atlanta, why you don't include them among your top NFC teams? I, for one, am on the TB/Atlanta bandwagon. I was extremely impressed with Sims, even in the beating he took against the Pats. He is extremely tough, like his father, and TB is my NFC SB team. As far as Vick is concerned. I am a fan of Vick. I think he is a winning QB, and he has always been a winning QB. I believe Atlanta collapsed last year because of their Run Defense, and not their QB play, and that Vick received an undue share of the criticism. I expect their D-line to be much improved this year. They are a play off team any way I look at it. I see TB, Atlanta and Carolina all making the playoffs...

Last edited:
The NFC will still be the JV league for another couple years. Look at what happened when the top NFC teams played the top AFC teams last year. Games weren't even that close. Hell I think the Browns beat up on the NFC pretty good last year.
The AFC is just a much more physical conference and that can't be changed with one, two or even three drafts. Carolina is probably the only real physical team but they have question marks.
I think Seattle is head and shoulders above the rest of the NFC teams but I don't even think they make the playoffs if they were in the AFC.

Last edited by a moderator:
ClosingTime said:
The NFC will still be the JV league for another couple years. Look at what happened when the top NFC teams played the top AFC teams last year. Games weren't even that close. Hell I think the Browns beat up on the NFC pretty good last year.
The AFC is just a much more physical conference and that can't be changed with one, two or even three drafts. Carolina is probably the only real physical team but they have question marks.
I think Seattle is head and shoulders above the rest of the NFC teams but I don't even think they make the playoffs if they were in the AFC.
That is the common perception. However, i thought Seattle was the more physical team against Pittsburgh in the SB, dominating both lines of scrimmage. I don't see how Denver or Indy is more physical than Carolina, Tampa or Washington defensively. I think the trend is actually in the NFCs favor. I think the AFC "physical" dominance peaked last year.

PonyExpress said:

Of those 5 NFC teams I'm not sure there are more than 2 playoff teams in the bunch.

I think the NFC will need another year before it's better than the AFC, but I also think that Dallas will be VERY good.

dhamz said:
Of those 5 NFC teams I'm not sure there are more than 2 playoff teams in the bunch.
Then substitute Dallas, Philly, Washington or Chicago. I just think the pendulum is swinging in the other direction. I am not overly impressed with a post SB Pittsburgh team with a hangover, a depleted Indy, an overrated Denver who should have been beat last year by the Pats (with an older O-line that Wilfork, Warren and Seymour dominated in the playoffs), or Jacksonville. Other than the Pats, the NFC looks stronger to me.

Isn't comparing pears and apples?

Teams like the Steelers, PAts, Broncos and Colts play each other often. But these don't play a lot against the top teams of the NFC. So it seems to me that they are hard to compare.

The Bears? Ha ha. THe team would be lucky to make 8-8 in the AFC. VEry lucky. They are a perfect example. THey are a supposedly tough team and got their asses kicked when they played the Steelers, Cincy, yes. the Browns and barely beat the Ravens 10-6.
1-3 versus the AFC last year. 10-2 against the JVC.
Seattle went 1-2, including a 28-24 win over Tennesee. Yeah they sure dominated the LOS vs pitt with barely any rushing yards and not being able to stop Pitt from running the balls to wind out the clock at the end of the game. But hey, they were competitive.
Tampa Bay has similar pathetic performance agaisnt the AFC.
The one team that could be something if they can get decent QB play is the Redskins, just cause they have a solid D.

Sorry Pony, your prediction is little more than wishful thinking at this point.

ClosingTime said:
The Bears? Ha ha. THe team would be lucky to make 8-8 in the AFC. VEry lucky. They are a perfect example. THey are a supposedly tough team and got their asses kicked when they played the Steelers, Cincy, yes. the Browns and barely beat the Ravens 10-6.
1-3 versus the AFC last year. 10-2 against the JVC.
Seattle went 1-2, including a 28-24 win over Tennesee. Yeah they sure dominated the LOS vs pitt with barely any rushing yards and not being able to stop Pitt from running the balls to wind out the clock at the end of the game. But hey, they were competitive.
Tampa Bay has similar pathetic performance agaisnt the AFC.
The one team that could be something if they can get decent QB play is the Redskins, just cause they have a solid D.

Sorry Pony, your prediction is little more than wishful thinking at this point.

As for Chicago, I am not impressed with them either. I was just throwing out a name since the other ones weren't acceptable to you. I know what I saw with Seattle's O and D lines. They manhandled the Steelers for much of that game up front.

Last edited:
It's not pundits. Seattle couldn't run the ball all game. When Hassleback tried more than a three step drop he'd get hit. And the Steelers ran the ball well in the second half. Rothlisberger doesn't throw that creampuff INT, the game's not close.
They also got spanked by Jax and barely squeaked by Tennesee

Well, we'll agree to differ. But looking forward to next year I suspect the "big bad steelers" may not be either. This is a team that feeds on over the top emotion as their hallmark. I could see them having a Giants style 1987 season, a real emotional hangover from the banquet circuit. Maybe Pats 2002 is a better analogy. I see them at 10-6 and a WC only because of Roethlesberger dragging them to the Playoffs. As for Seattle, I like their front seven and their draft/FA acquisitions, and don't see them as a soft team in any way. Marcus Tubbs is turning into the player we thought he could be when we were ready to draft him at #21 before Wilfork slipped. A very physical bunch.

Well Seattle's a virtual shoe-in for the playoffs because they are a solid team in a horrendous division. Arizona is still a few years away.
As for the Steelers, they have a very difficult schedule and I just don't see a wildcard coming out of the AFC North. If Palmer is healthy is will be a battle. And if the Ravens get McNAir that would probably make them a threat as well.

i still think AFC is a better conference then NFL

only CAR and DAL, imho, looks strong

but...NE, PIT, IND, DEN, JAX, SD, CIN : there are several good teams in the AFC

but Carolina looks n.1 in NFC

Remix 6 said:

so anyways

Top AFC Teams

Remix, I don't have any problems per se with your predictions. I just find it ironic that you're saying Detroit will be better because "Martz is an offensive genious" and the Rams will be better because Martz doesn't know how to use RBs.

In general, I think NFC will be stronger 1-16, as most of the pathec teams in the NFC will improve while in the AFC, I don't see much improvement from the cellar dwellers:
NO - getting rid of Hassell and Brooks is addition by subtraction
ARI - up and coming team
Philly - last year was a fluke
GB - improved LBs and offense had serious unjuries last year
Det - I'm not sold on them
SF - will still suck

Oak - Is Brooks really an improvement?
Tex - Can't see them winning with Carr
Jets - total rebuilding job, will battle for #1 pick
Bills - Donahoe left a big mess. Probably THE most overrated GM in the NFL.
Clev - definitely improving
Ten - not sure what to think, but I like their coach
Bal - If Boller is the QB, they'll suck again

But at the top, it's hard to say any NFC team is better than either NE or Pitt when it comes to head-to-head matchup. I would put the preseason rankings as follows:

1)Pitt, 2)Pats, 3)Colts, 4)Seahawks, 5)Cowboys, 6)Panthers, 7) Bengals, 8)Eagles, 9)Jax, 10)Denver

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back