PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Prediction: Gronk won't get another contract with the Pats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This ****in thread was a jinx not Madden.

Next year isn't his cap # very manageable? I could see him getting another year here...now if next year he goes down again long term..time to get some picks for the guy and move on IMO

That's using a harmful drug like it's a joke. Maybe it's not normal for him to do that, but I'm just going on what I see.

Chugging a 12 ounce beer, or pretending to chug a beer, is not binge drinking by any definition of which I am aware. I would go with the authority and the definition it offers if you use the term.

There is plenty written on his workout plans, but I haven't heard much to believe this guy is the modern Mickey Mantle or Jimmie Foxx story, which would involve documented binge drinking that likely cut their careers short.

These guys are athletes, but many are entertainers as well. If you believe you know an athlete from a picture or a story, some or all of which may be designed to foster a particular image for revenue reasons, then you may be sorely disappointed if you meet the person and find it is all or mostly a show. Do you believe a guy following the diet in the article I referenced is out chugging Dunkin' Donuts products like he does in the commercial when he spends his days counting calories? Do you believe WWE wrestlers have the same personality off camera and away from crowds? When out of the public eye, they may be far less entertaining in daily routines.

By the "standard" used by the the douchebags calling Gronk tinkerbell Edelman is a p.ssy as well.

Morons
Hard to disagree with you, Ivan. Neither player comes off as anything close to soft to me. That said, I would consider them both injury prone, but some of that is certainly due to bad luck.

Next year isn't his cap # very manageable? I could see him getting another year here...now if next year he goes down again long term..time to get some picks for the guy and move on IMO

Believe its a little over 7 million, with for a team with almost 70 million in cap space, is nothing.

Some picks? Plural?

If he goes down again you won't even get a single first round pick for him. Makes no sense to trade someone when his value is at his lowest.

it's a real pity but i agree

anyway let' hope for a real good luck and future for Gronk

one of the greatest Patriots ever

At this point, I sort of want Gronk to hang it up and just retire. The dude is awesome and I'm just really concerned about his well-being. I know it's hard to see these athletes as real people(I actually have a hard time envisioning some guys walking upright after constantly seeing them with their hands in the dirt lol), but they are and at some point a GAME can't mean everything. This also applies to guys like Romo.

Chugging a 12 ounce beer, or pretending to chug a beer, is not binge drinking by any definition of which I am aware. I would go with the authority and the definition it offers if you use the term.

There is plenty written on his workout plans, but I haven't heard much to believe this guy is the modern Mickey Mantle or Jimmie Foxx story, which would involve documented binge drinking that likely cut their careers short.

These guys are athletes, but many are entertainers as well. If you believe you know an athlete from a picture or a story, some or all of which may be designed to foster a particular image for revenue reasons, then you may be sorely disappointed if you meet the person and find it is all or mostly a show. Do you believe a guy following the diet in the article I referenced is out chugging Dunkin' Donuts products like he does in the commercial when he spends his days counting calories? Do you believe WWE wrestlers have the same personality off camera and away from crowds? When out of the public eye, they may be far less entertaining in daily routines.
Fair post. I am certainly basing that on a tiny slice of his life that I've seen. I don't watch TMZ or whatever one would do if they cared about that kind of thing. I read about the booze cruise and I saw the beer guzzling and made an assumption that could easily be incorrect. I'm not convinced about it, just speculating. I feel like people love booze and gronk so much they'd ignore it even if it were a problem also.

Is his contract up after 2017? Or is it that he has options to opt out?

Is his contract up after 2017? Or is it that he has options to opt out?

No his contract is something like this:
2017: 7 Mil
2018: 11 Mil
2019: 12 Mil

I honestly don't see Gronk even being able to make it to the end of his contract. If he gets another season ending injury next year, I would say he retires, or we trade him or just cut him. You can't pay someone 12 million dollars to miss 8+ games and the playoffs.

The problem is he is not only one of the best players I have ever seen play, the combination of Brady to Gronk has been very fun to watch.

Last edited:
Belichick the GM is "sell high" guy. As soon as the value story kicks negative on any player he just moves on. Fifteen years of it, now, he's been a model of consistency.

Bledsoe, Branch, Vrabel, McGinest, Seymour, Wilfork, Mankins, Jones, Collins...these aren't just good players, they were all captains, leaders and MVPs on the team. All traded.

Gronk is not exempt from the possibility even though he's that good. The rest of them were that good too.

The only stud players that finished their careers with the Pats in the Belichick era are guys that retired rather than go elsewhere (Mayo, Light) and/or took less than Market value to play out their careers in Foxboro (Troy, Faulk, Bruschi).

The only reason I'm convinced Brady will not be traded is because he'll take less on a contract to stay, AND he'd rather retire than play elsewhere. Which is Gronk?

Trading away his best players is more than just a pattern of behavior, or a habit, for BB. I think he truly enjoys drafting and grooming players that no one else wants, and jettisoning his stars before they become a cap burden (see also: Revis, Vinatieri, Welker). BB prefers winning with a roster made up of hard-working cast offs (Welker, Hogan, Ninkovich), medical red flags (Gronk, Cannon), players other teams have given up on (Moss, Harrison) and street free agents that no one else values (Patten, Butler). And then, after he turns them into household names, backfilling with the next generation of no-name roster trash... and still winning.

He's not afraid to trade Collins and replace him with an undersized and unproven rookie, or trade Mankins then find a way to stopgap at LG for years-- it took three years to finally fill that hole. I think BB enjoys the intellectual challenge of building a team that plays as more than sum of its parts-- that's what makes Football the ultimate team sport.

The simple fact that this thread exists demonstrates that enough people see that the Value Story on Gronk is starting to turn. He's been a stud and a bargain for years. But have we just seen the inflection point?

Maybe, yes. I could imagine Gronk in a Texans uniform. JAG and Gronk playing pitch and catch for the Browns? For the right trade, BB will not say no.

Belichick the GM is "sell high" guy. As soon as the value story kicks negative on any player he just moves on. Fifteen years of it, now, he's been a model of consistency.

Bledsoe, Branch, Vrabel, McGinest, Seymour, Wilfork, Mankins, Jones, Collins...these aren't just good players, they were all captains, leaders and MVPs on the team. All traded.

Gronk is not exempt from the possibility even though he's that good. The rest of them were that good too.

The only stud players that finished their careers with the Pats in the Belichick era are guys that retired rather than go elsewhere (Mayo, Light) and/or took less than Market value to play out their careers in Foxboro (Troy, Faulk, Bruschi).

The only reason I'm convinced Brady will not be traded is because he'll take less on a contract to stay, AND he'd rather retire than play elsewhere. Which is Gronk?

Trading away his best players is more than just a pattern of behavior, or a habit, for BB. I think he truly enjoys drafting and grooming players that no one else wants, and jettisoning his stars before they become a cap burden (see also: Revis, Vinatieri, Welker). BB prefers winning with a roster made up of hard-working cast offs (Welker, Hogan, Ninkovich), medical red flags (Gronk, Cannon), players other teams have given up on (Moss, Harrison) and street free agents that no one else values (Patten, Butler). And then, after he turns them into household names, backfilling with the next generation of no-name roster trash... and still winning.

He's not afraid to trade Collins and replace him with an undersized and unproven rookie, or trade Mankins then find a way to stopgap at LG for years-- it took three years to finally fill that hole. I think BB enjoys the intellectual challenge of building a team that plays as more than sum of its parts-- that's what makes Football the ultimate team sport.

The simple fact that this thread exists demonstrates that enough people see that the Value Story on Gronk is starting to turn. He's been a stud and a bargain for years. But have we just seen the inflection point?

Maybe, yes. I could imagine Gronk in a Texans uniform. JAG and Gronk playing pitch and catch for the Browns? For the right trade, BB will not say no.
The difference is the guys you mentioned were either past their prime or some sort of problem (didn't buy in etc.., we don't know). If Gronk rehabs and comes into camp in top shape with no lingering affects he'll stay. He's still young and should be in his prime years.

The difference is the guys you mentioned were either past their prime or some sort of problem (didn't buy in etc.., we don't know). If Gronk rehabs and comes into camp in top shape with no lingering affects he'll stay. He's still young and should be in his prime years.

Yes and no.

True that Wilfork, Mankins, McGinest, Vrabel were at the end of their careers.

But Bledsoe, Branch, Seymour, Jones and Collins were in their prime years when they were traded. And none of them had the pattern of injury that Gronk has had.

Yes and no.

True that Wilfork, Mankins, McGinest, Vrabel were at the end of their careers.

But Bledsoe, Branch, Seymour, Jones and Collins were in their prime years when they were traded. And none of them had the pattern of injury that Gronk has had.
We Had Brady so Bledsoe was expendable, Branch was unhappy with his contract, the other 3 fall under the might have been a problem since we're only guessing why BB traded him. Though Jones had that incident. What I'm saying is if can contribute like he has (this we don't know) I'm pretty sure he sticks. He did have 15 games played year 1 and 2 and 16 in both 14 and 15 seasons, hopefully he can come back and have a similar run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back