PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Prediction: Chad Johnson will still be here next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm willing to put in writing at the (hopeful) potential of looking like an ass:

1. Chad Johnson will be back next year
2. Welker will be tagged, extension will come mid-season
3. We will NOT sign a major free agent WR
4. We will draft a WR in the first 2 rounds
5. WR depth going into next season (note: season, not training camp) is Johnson-Welker-Branch-Rookie-Edelman-Slater (sorry Underwood, you're a camp casualty)

My reasoning behind this is:

1. BB really likes Chad Johnson
2. McDaniels is much better at working with WRs than O'Brien was
3. Johnson's salary is so much more favorable than any FA WR we can get ($3MM versus $4-6MM+)
4. This enables us to bring Branch back at $1.5-$3MM.
5. Johnson probably would have been cut already if this wasn't the case

I look forward to this thread being bumped a million times when we cut Chad Johnson and sign Robert Meachem.

As mentioned, McDaniels never actually worked with WRs here in New England. It was Daboll, O'Brien, and Chad O'Shea. Daboll did a great job with Givens and Branch. Johnson was injured too much and didn't like having to think. Daboll stated prior to the Pats drafting Chad Jackson that he wouldn't coach Jackson (courtesy of WarRoom).

It's been awhile since the Pats drafted quality WRs. Tate and Price were both projects. Tate because of his knee injury. Price because of the system he came out of. And I don't think that Belichick gave up on Price so much as they needed the roster spot due to injuries. I say this because Belichick wanted to re-sign Price if he cleared waivers. Unfortunately, Price didn't clear waivers.

So, we'll see what happens.
Josh Morgan and Robert Meachum could definitely be on the Pats radar. The question is whether or not they have the football intelligence, tenacity, and want to learn the offense so that it's second nature the way it is for Welker, Branch, Gronk, Hernandez.

Idk how I feel about Josh Morgan. He tore his ACL last year. It'll be another season or two before he is himself again.

if Ocho who was get less playing time then Tiquan Underwood of all people is still on this team at 6 million a year it's going to be a long season, i cant see the pats bringing him back and i dont see why Ocho would want to be back

I'm willing to put in writing at the (hopeful) potential of looking like an ass:

1. Chad Johnson will be back next year
2. Welker will be tagged, extension will come mid-season
3. We will NOT sign a major free agent WR
4. We will draft a WR in the first 2 rounds
5. WR depth going into next season (note: season, not training camp) is Johnson-Welker-Branch-Rookie-Edelman-Slater (sorry Underwood, you're a camp casualty)

2. McDaniels is much better at working with WRs than O'Brien was
3. Johnson's salary is so much more favorable than any FA WR we can get ($3MM versus $4-6MM+)
4. This enables us to bring Branch back at $1.5-$3MM.
5. Johnson probably would have been cut already if this wasn't the case

I look forward to this thread being bumped a million times when we cut Chad Johnson and sign Robert Meachem.

This is the part that I really like:

There are numerous ex-Patriots that BB "really liked" and either cut or traded. If BB 'really likes" Chad, he can give him "likes" on facebook. He will not spend any of Bob Krafts money on an unproductive player.

Haven't we seen that enough over the years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back