PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PREDICTION: Caldwell or Gaffney will be gone this week...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gaffney and Caldwell, is like Martin and Lewis or Laurel and Hardy--always good for a laugh.

Having said that, why would BB cut Washington or Caldwell now when keeping them still means only 4 healthy receivers?

Washington's looked good to me, when I've seen him and Caldwell caught 60+ damn balls last year.

Makes our depth look great right now and we keep 6 until things shake out.

BB didn't get where he is by making decisions before he has to. Who knows how things will turn out this year?

Could someone please shed some light on Washington's special team's play? From what I've seen, he hasn't been that effective and I'd rather have Mitchell and Andrews as the gunners than him... But, if someone else has seen good play from him there, please chime in. All I have seen is him not able to beat the blocks and put pressure on the returner. I've only seen him get in late to the tackle and not seen him actually do the tackling.

I will freely admit if I am missing something on Washington, but I haven't been impressed with his special teams play and that is really the only things that would differentiate him from Caldwell, though Caldwell has returned punts in his career.

Kind of beside the point, but who started opposite Stallworth last night? (I missed the game obviously.)

My guess would be Caldwell unless they just moved Welker from the #2 into the slot on 3rd downs.

Last edited:
I would think it would be Caldwell. Gaffney, until he got hurt, was playing very well.

One thing is for sure, Kelly Washington played well again last night. He was so wide open on his catches, so, he has to be beating somebody out there. He has size, and speed, and apparently knows how to get open.

He's no guarantee, because the numbers of WRs make it tough, but I give him alot of credit for showing up like he has.

Washington doesn't seem to be on the field when Brady's under center. I think Belichick has to be looking at his trade value at this point.

I've liked what I've seen from Washington. I think you're selling him short.

Not selling him short at all. Virtually every single beat writer in this town talked about how much he struggled in camp. It was pretty documented that Washington had the hardest time pick up our offense of all the new WRs. Since we don't have any access now, we have no idea how far he has come.

He has done ok in the games. I don't think he has been anything special. Granted other than a handful of plays neither has any other WRs. He was held catchless in the second preseason game. He did seem like he was having some trouble picking up blocks last night in the running game.

Washington has looked ok, but five catches in three games isn't really enough to make a great judgement on the guy. It is what Belichick is seeing now in practice along with his game performance that is going to have a lot of bearing on his future.

I like BAM, but let's be realistic. He couldn't get on the field last year. There is no way he become on of the first five this year. I feel sorry for the guy since they brought in all this wr talent.

Mr. BW - I wasn't implying that Bam is 5th overall on the TC WR depth chart. If Moss and Gaffney were healthy, then Bam would be 7th; if Troy and CJ were also healthy, then Bam would be 9th.

My original point was that it makes no sense to release Caldwell before the 4th pre-season game, given the unknown (to us, anyway) status of Moss and Gaffney. At least Gaffney has 10 months of knowledge/experience here; Moss has only 4, and none of those 4 months include game experience. I am becoming a little more frustrated with each day that passes without Moss taking the field.

Washington doesn't seem to be on the field when Brady's under center. I think Belichick has to be looking at his trade value at this point.

Actually, Caldwell and Washington did rotate a bit when Brady was under center. I saw Washington in a lot of running downs, I think Belichick was testing to see how well he blocks. Belichick already knows Caldwell is a good blocker.

Jeepers Creepers Caldwell makes the team and well as Gaff unless he is IR. Also, Washington will make it. CJ will probably be IR'ed and Troy will stay on PUP as insurance against injury to any of the WR's.

I'll pose one question. Please rank the WRs in terms of blocking for the run.

I posit it as Caldwell, Washington, and then a tie Stallworth/Gaffney, followed by Welker, Moss; not including the Puppies.

Note: A 7th rounder without acceptable speed, Givens, made the team because he helped the running game. Coaches watch for the little things...

I haven't really seen Dante run block, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt and ranked him with Gaffney which is just mediocre. Welker is willing to try, but I've seen him bounce off of players he tried to block. Moss is usually asked to "phantom block " by taking a coverage guy with him on a route, rather than really deliver a block, but this is based on his play before joining the Pats. Since he hasn't partiicpated in a preseason game there is no evidence to change it.

I can't comment on the new guys, as I hadn't seen the first two pre-season games.

I give CJ, Bam and Kight an Incomplete; I just haven't seen them enough on TV.

Therefore, the best blocker amoung Caldwell, Gaffney and Troy is: Troy, and it's not even close. Caldwell and Gaffney are terrible blockers; their blocking "efforts" in the AFCC was disgraceful.

He was on with Brady several times last night and caught at least one ball from him. Washington played a LOT last night, which is part of what led me to this thread.

He was on with Brady several times last night and caught at least one ball from him. Washington played a LOT last night, which is part of what led me to this thread.

He didn't play any more than Caldwell though. They both seemed to be rotated in and out a lot. I think Washington did come on the field first, but that might be because Caldwell was on the field before him the week before.

Last edited:
I can't comment on the new guys, as I hadn't seen the first two pre-season games.

I give CJ, Bam and Kight an Incomplete; I just haven't seen them enough on TV.

Therefore, the best blocker amoung Caldwell, Gaffney and Troy is: Troy, and it's not even close. Caldwell and Gaffney are terrible blockers; their blocking "efforts" in the AFCC was disgraceful.

Caldwell is actually a pretty good blocker. He laid a mean smack down on Derrick Brooks in the first preseason game. Both Caldwell and Gaffney blocked pretty well last year for the most part.

Considering Moss, Stallworth, and Washington have never been great blockers; I think both Caldwell and Gaffney are better than them in that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes