PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Predict who will coach Jets in '09.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ah Pats and Phins fans working together for a greater good, if it wasn't about the Jets it would bring a tear to my eye.

Yeah, but watching the Jets play must have already accomplished that mission for you.

Yeah, but watching the Jets play must have already accomplished that mission for you.

I will take that from a Pats fan but not a phins fan. By the way, comments like that are cool in my book when two fans go back in a joking not malicious manner. I live and breathe Jets football but im not going to get bent out of shape if a Pats fan thinks the Jets will fail only. For instance I have viewed the forums from a far and from what I can gather, many feel Gholston will be a good player but I also read some say he will stink b/c he is on the Jets. Many think Faneca is washed up, pace is a one year flame, Kris Jenkins will fail, Woody in a POS etc. But thats why they play the games:D.

Last edited:
I will take that from a Pats fan but not a phins fan. By the way, comments like that are cool in my book when two fans go back in a joking not malicious manner. I live and breathe Jets football but im not going to get bent out of shape if a Pats fan thinks the Jets will fail only b/c tits the Jets. For instance I have viewed the forums from a far and from what I can gather, many feel Gholston will be a good player but I also read some say he will stink b/c he is on the Jets. Many think Faneca is washed up, pace is a one year flame, Kris Jenkins will fail, Woody in a POS etc. But thats why they play the games:D

You guys made some improvements in every area but the one glaring area that has eluded you since Noodle Arm first blew his shoulder out... quarterback. You guys get a decent QB that can throw the ball more than 20 yards and the Jets officially become a serious threat.

You guys made some improvements in every area but the one glaring area that has eluded you since Noodle Arm first blew his shoulder out... quarterback. You guys get a decent QB that can throw the ball more than 20 yards and the Jets officially become a serious threat.

your telling me, im anti-pennington which makes me by default Clemens. If we had anything resembling a QB I would say 8 wins or more for next year but for now im thinking 7-9 possibly 8-8. IF any QB decides to actual play like a quarterback who belongs in the National Football League then who knows, for now its the Pats division w/ the Bills in second. I lol at the Phins fan talking smack, there is no way I repeat no way the Jets finish worse then the Phins, they are better then them in nearly every phase of the game.

your telling me, im anti-pennington which makes me by default Clemens. If we had anything resembling a QB I would say 8 wins or more for next year but for now im thinking 7-9 possibly 8-8. IF any QB decides to actual play like a quarterback who belongs in the National Football League then who knows, for now its the Pats division w/ the Bills in second. I lol at the Phins fan talking smack, there is no way I repeat no way the Jets finish worse then the Phins, they are better then them in nearly every phase of the game.

yea talk now but im going to save this quote and show it to you at the end of the season. remember this.

yea talk now but im going to save this quote and show it to you at the end of the season. remember this.

I am perfectly fine with that. The Jets are literally better at almost every way you break the two down. There better receiving wise (WR and TE's) they have a better o-line, they have a better d-line, better LB's, a better secondary, better special teams and as sad as it sounds, Pennington is better then both Beck and Henne at this point.

Last edited:
Frank Moga

CRIPPLE FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rocker:

I will take that from a Pats fan but not a phins fan. By the way, comments like that are cool in my book when two fans go back in a joking not malicious manner. I live and breathe Jets football but im not going to get bent out of shape if a Pats fan thinks the Jets will fail only. For instance I have viewed the forums from a far and from what I can gather, many feel Gholston will be a good player but I also read some say he will stink b/c he is on the Jets. Many think Faneca is washed up, pace is a one year flame, Kris Jenkins will fail, Woody in a POS etc. But thats why they play the games:D.

So if I joke about it, are we cool?

What if I'm serious?

I think Gholston is a tremendous athlete, but it takes a lot more than that to succeed in the NFL. I've heard whispers that he's not picking up the playbook so well early in OTA's and that he can be rather unmotivated at times. As long as Jake Long can handle him, I'm fine.

Faneca was a great signing, nothing else can be said there.

Jenkins was a great player, but he's past his prime. He can still be a good player but he has to stay on the field and I'm not sure he can do that.

Woody is the guy I don't get all the hype about. He was a mediocre center in Detroit that moved to right tackle only to be below average there.

As you said, though, they have to play the games and I can't wait for the season.

What's your prediction for opening week in Miami? I'm just glad we've reinstalled a tough regime that will bring us back our home field advantage in September and October.

Last edited:
I am perfectly fine with that. The Jets are literally better at almost every way you break the two down. There better receiving wise (WR and TE's) they have a better o-line, they have a better d-line, better LB's, a better secondary, better special teams and as sad as it sounds, Pennington is better then both Beck and Henne at this point.

I don't think you can definitively say that the Jets are better on the lines, linebackers, special teams or even quarterback.

On the line, we're young but have some tremendous pieces. Obviously, Jake Long has some work to do but he was the #1 overall pick and I think he'll be much better than Ferguson. We signed Justin Smiley who isn't as good as Alen Faneca but he brings that tough, gritty mentality we've missed for years. At center, Mangold had a sophomore slump, if Satele continues to progess, he'll be in pro-bowls year in and year out. Right guard is our weak point but Vernon Carey trumps Woody at right tackle.

Our line rotation is much deeper than last year. Ferguson and Starks will rotate in at NT with Holliday, Langford, Roth and Starks will also work in at DE. Coleman hasn't been anything special for the Jets but Ellis has been a good player in NY for a long time. It all comes down to Jenkins.

Special teams has been our front office's MO this off-season. Our unit will be much improved and I can't wait to see Ted Ginn get a few lanes. Leon Washington is a great return man for you guys, though.

I don't see how you can say the Jets are guaranteed to finish better than the Dolphins. I think our offense as a unit will be better than the Jets. With Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams behind our improved line, we are going to kill some teams on the ground (the Jets in particular who always let Ronnie run through them.) Jason Taylor and Joey Porter will play better in the 3-4 than last in the 4-3, I'm just saying there are so much grounds for improvement for the Dolphins, it's impossible to say something that outrageous.

Now if a Pats fan guarantees that they will finish better than the Phins, that's okay. :lol:

Last edited:
So if I joke about it, are we cool?

What if I'm serious?

I think Gholston is a tremendous athlete, but it takes a lot more than that to succeed in the NFL. I've heard whispers that he's not picking up the playbook so well early in OTA's and that he can be rather unmotivated at times. As long as Jake Long can handle him, I'm fine. I haven't heard anything about him being lazy or unmotivated so far and actually I have heard the opposite. He mised a good portion of vets camp b/c by rule he had to be at ohio state for classes. As far a Long I have heard that he is struggling to defend the speed rush in training camp thus far. I think Long will be a very good LT but the speed rush will expose him at times

Faneca was a great signing, nothing else can be said there.:D

Jenkins was a great player, but he's past his prime. He can still be a good player but he has to stay on the field and I'm not sure he can do that. He has been able to stay on the field the last two years, he has played 16 games the last two years. He is a DT with just as much talent as almost anyone in the NFL. IMO age really is not a factor at NT. Ted Washington at 34 was still a very valuable piece to any 3-4 D. I hear the concerns but for what we got him for and compared to Robertson I think Jenkins could be a very good player. He also has the incentives in his deal and something to prove to many critics, when you hear the guy speak he is a guy determined to makes this 3-4 NT work and has said everything you want to hear

Woody is the guy I don't get all the hype about. He was a mediocre center in Detroit that moved to right tackle only to be below average there. Im not the biggest Woody fan but I think he will be ok and he will be no where close to as bad as Anthony Clement, that alone has me hyped. It has been said that the four games he played at RT last year that he was at a pro bowl level but still its four games

As you said, though, they have to play the games and I can't wait for the season. Exactly

What's your prediction for opening week in Miami? I'm just glad we've reinstalled a tough regime that will bring us back our home field advantage in September and October. Week one is not where I wanted to play the fins to be honest. I think its going to be close and the weather will definitely play a factor. I was not trying to sound pompous in my post before, I by no means think the Jets are way better then anyone in the NFL. I think they have a lot of potential to have a nice season which could turn into a really good year if they can get anything at QB. I just as easily see us drop week one as I see us win. Opening week in 100 degree miami weather is not my most preferable settings
were cool;), responses in bold

Last edited:
I think you and I can get along and just as a disclaimer, know that this is all in the heat of good debate; nothing personal. ;)

You kind of sound like the Jets fan version of me. You're looking at all these potential positive things surrounding the Jets and of course everything you've said is possible, but there's also the other side of the spectrum.

The Woody signing kind of reminds me our Shelton signing a year ago. We were all excited over the fact that we had a new right tackle just because our previous guy was awful. We forgot to realize he wasn't a special player but thought we had gotten better just because we replaced the old guy. Clement has been trash, you're right, but I'm not sure Woody is the answer.

As for opening day, you seem to have your whits about you. It won't be easy for you guys and it should be a great game. We'll see ya then. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back