PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Predict the Patriots cuts tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgssand

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
While we may be 1.5MMunder the cap - we need dollars to sign our rookies and some free agents (including our own).

I predict the following cuts tomorrow if there is no CBA.

Willie Mcginest (I believe we will re-sign him though)

Ty Poole (bye forever)

Monty Beisel (we can do better)

Chad Brown (too old, we need the dollars)

Brandon Gorin

fgssand said:
While we may be 1.5MMunder the cap - we need dollars to sign our rookies and some free agents (including our own).

I predict the following cuts tomorrow if there is no CBA.

Willie Mcginest (I believe we will re-sign him though)

Ty Poole (bye forever)

Monty Beisel (we can do better)

Chad Brown (too old, we need the dollars)

Brandon Gorin

I agree with Poole,Brown,Gorin.

Sorry, I don't see the Patriots making ANY cuts tomorrow. Heck, they have until March 15th to restructure Willie's contract.

Now, for the list of cuts you mentioned, I think you are correct on Poole and Chad Brown. However, how much thought did you put into Gorin and Beisel?

1) Gorin - Yes, I can't stand him, but the Pats need to carry 4 tackles. And since Britt is untested, I don't see it.

2) Beisel - we can do better? Please tell us who? Also, its amazing how harsh you are on a guy who was playing the ILB position for the 1st time in his career. I guess you are one to throw the baby out with the bathwater, huh?

The cap savings on both of them is negligible considering you have to promote a guy up onto the top 51.

We're already under the cap (PFT says $94.1) by $4-5 mil. = exemption from "Bloody Thursday."

re

DaBruinz said:
2) Beisel - we can do better? Please tell us who? Also, its amazing how harsh you are on a guy who was playing the ILB position for the 1st time in his career. I guess you are one to throw the baby out with the bathwater, huh?

I know we can do better. Yes it was Beisel's 1st year at ILB, but he has no business playing that position. He shies away from hits, cannot beat blockers, and has no strength whatsoever, so he gets pushed around a lot.

I would go after a Derek Smith, 49ers linebacker, who should be available. He's a bit older, but he's been solid for a while, and also has a few more years left in him.

Last edited:
DaBruinz said:
Sorry, I don't see the Patriots making ANY cuts tomorrow. Heck, they have until March 15th to restructure Willie's contract.

Now, for the list of cuts you mentioned, I think you are correct on Poole and Chad Brown. However, how much thought did you put into Gorin and Beisel?

1) Gorin - Yes, I can't stand him, but the Pats need to carry 4 tackles. And since Britt is untested, I don't see it.
Exactly. It is totally pointless to cut ANYONE at this point if you don't need the cap space, or if there is a big roster bonus due. There is plenty of time to cut players in August. Who knows what injuries we'll suffer during TC?

IMO the only reason to cut a player is if you like him and he's done a good job for you and you know you are likely to cut him the week before season starts anyway, THEN you can cut him now and give him a chance to catch on with another team.

Other than that, why make a cut now?

spacecrime said:
Exactly. It is totally pointless to cut ANYONE at this point if you don't need the cap space, or if there is a big roster bonus due. There is plenty of time to cut players in August. Who knows what injuries we'll suffer during TC?

IMO the only reason to cut a player is if you like him and he's done a good job for you and you know you are likely to cut him the week before season starts anyway, THEN you can cut him now and give him a chance to catch on with another team.

We wouldn't want to have a little common sense creep in here now. Would we?

Last edited:
spacecrime said:

I would think we would want to free up as much cash as possible so as to be able to sign our own free agents, others that we may want as wel as our rookies. Do the math guys.....

You do the math, and perhaps even read Miguel's article. There is no need to cut anyone. I don't know whether Starks is officially gone per the league. Poole could go if they are afraid of an injury. But that's it.

fgssand said:
I would think we would want to free up as much cash as possible so as to be able to sign our own free agents, others that we may want as wel as our rookies. Do the math guys.....

fgssand said:

We can make cuts or restructures as needed to free up cap space going forward. As long as we're under, the only consideration will be whether to keep or cut those due roster bonuses. The draft is still several weeks away, and with a glut of players potentially being added to the FA market in the bloody Thursday cap purges and the few teams with serious cap space still hampered by the uncertainty of what may follow (not to mention the 30% rule), there just isn't any sense of urgency.

I can't imagine if Poole's annual $600K for nothing check is due Friday he will be with us to collect it. If Willie's roster bonus isn't due until the 15th, I imagine that's when we'll know what the deal is with him. Perhaps watching so many other quality veterans hit the unemployment line will give Willie pause and they'll get a deal done in the next two weeks. Hopefully ditto for Adam.

Miguel has listed Starks (appropriately) as dead money, so I don't know why it would not be "official".

All I hope for is Poole to be one of the cuts.

MoLewisrocks said:
We can make cuts or restructures as needed to free up cap space going forward. As long as we're under, the only consideration will be whether to keep or cut those due roster bonuses. The draft is still several weeks away, and with a glut of players potentially being added to the FA market in the bloody Thursday cap purges and the few teams with serious cap space still hampered by the uncertainty of what may follow (not to mention the 30% rule), there just isn't any sense of urgency.

I can't imagine if Poole's annual $600K for nothing check is due Friday he will be with us to collect it. If Willie's roster bonus isn't due until the 15th, I imagine that's when we'll know what the deal is with him. Perhaps watching so many other quality veterans hit the unemployment line will give Willie pause and they'll get a deal done in the next two weeks. Hopefully ditto for Adam.

Miguel has listed Starks (appropriately) as dead money, so I don't know why it would not be "official".

Seems to me to be a choice here, you are saying keep the guys I suggested cutting, while our free agents walk. Where is the money coming from that will enable us to sign ours or others from others that will soon be available?

maverick4 said:
I know we can do better. Yes it was Beisel's 1st year at ILB, but he has no business playing that position. He shies away from hits, cannot beat blockers, and has no strength whatsoever, so he gets pushed around a lot.....

I agree, they ran over Beisel like a freight train, as he did not look (size-wise) like professional football linebacker.

fgssand said:

FGssand - WOW. We do the math, you ignore it and you tell us to do the math. That's a new one.

Again, the cap isn't finalized yet. There is NOTHING to cut because the Pats are under the their adjusted cap. They have until March 15th to make a decision on McGinest, which should free up over 4 million. And you are sitting here acting like the world is coming to an end and the Pats are 15 million over the cap.

fgssand said:
Seems to me to be a choice here, you are saying keep the guys I suggested cutting, while our free agents walk. Where is the money coming from that will enable us to sign ours or others from others that will soon be available?

The few hundred thousand that is saved by cutting Beisel and Gorin isn't going to get anyone but street free agents signed. Sorry Chumly. Big over-reaction on your part. Especially with nothing set in stone yet.

groundgame said:
I agree, they ran over Beisel like a freight train, as he did not look (size-wise) like professional football linebacker.

I will admit that Beisel's technique needs work. But that is something that can be taught. Easily. And he was pretty effective towards the end of the year. And he was very good on special teams. So, at the very least he could replace Izzo.

As for home not looking like a Professional Football linebacker, Size-wise, He was about 10 -15 lbs light. Most people said he'd have to put on that weight to be an effective ILB for the Pats. Again, a full season in the Pats strength and conditioning program can change that.

fgssand said:
My question was "Why make the cut NOW" and it still is. Cutting some players in March so you can sign some rookies in July/August didn't make any sense the first time it was posted and it still doesn't.

For FAs, BB will wait until the dust settles. Unless he has his eye on a particular guy, he generally waits until the bidding frenzy is over, and the market settles down. Most of his FA signings have been late, when players wonder if they will be playing at all and are more flexible contract wise.

Plenty of time to cut an old player when you sign a new one, and space is needed.

mgteich said:
You do the math, and perhaps even read Miguel's article. There is no need to cut anyone. I don't know whether Starks is officially gone per the league. Poole could go if they are afraid of an injury. But that's it.

BB has been known to help a player out by letting him go early so he can catch on elsewhere.

If he doesn't have any interest in giving a guy a chance in camp he might be inclined to free up some space early so he can make some moves in free agency himself

DaBruinz said:
I will admit that Beisel's technique needs work. But that is something that can be taught. Easily. And he was pretty effective towards the end of the year. And he was very good on special teams. So, at the very least he could replace Izzo.

As for home not looking like a Professional Football linebacker, Size-wise, He was about 10 -15 lbs light. Most people said he'd have to put on that weight to be an effective ILB for the Pats. Again, a full season in the Pats strength and conditioning program can change that.

Also to Beisel's credit, his best play occured when it counted most, the last 4 games of the season.

fgssand said:

According to John Clayton we are $1.5M under a projected $92M cap. If it is in effect $94.5M as some reports are indicating, we are $4M under without releasing Poole ($5.5M) or Brown ($6.5M) or Willie ($13.5M+). And I assume there are a few more tweekings we could perform including guaranteeing all or part of Tom's base salary so it could be prorated ($17M+). I think even in a sucky new CBA-less world we're OK.

And BB musn't be too worried since he was at the Celtics game with his son tonight rather than locked in a bunker beneath Gillette with Pioli and Kraft. With all the angst and confusion I don't think anyone's FA's will be going anywhere too fast, and if BB wanted to pre-emptively sign these guys he would have already. He's now waiting to see what their market is, or he's decided to go in another direction already.

On the other hand our buddies in Indiana have hit a little speed bump on the road to the 2006 league year. Apparently Polian's creative bookeeping this week didn't pass muster with a special master today and his deal with Wayne (and perhaps those with Brock and/or Brackett) has suddenly put the Colts (who were projected as even last week) over the cap by $9.4M (based on Claytons $92M cap - so possibly $7M over). There is also talk that the roster bonuses due Peyton ($9M) and Marvin ($10M) possibly cannot be converted to signing bonuses and prorated (in whole or in part) because of the original construction of those contracts and all the existing backloading (30% rule violation perhaps).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots