PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Predict the 2010 Patriots season record (merged)

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Predict the Patriots 2010 record

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh ye of little faith! 13-3. I was almost going to say 14-2 but I clucked out.
Plus I have almost NO idea what's been going on with other teams. Except the Jets of course:p

I'm a born pessimist, the Pats are the only thing I'm optimistic about and I can't change that. I love this team too much. I'm between 10-6 and 12-4, so I conservatively predict 11-5, but I'm really hoping they go 12-4.

Week one is the decider.

I see losses only the Ravens, one of Green Bay/Minnesota, one Division game (Miami or NY), and one of Indy/SD, who I believe have weaknesses just as we have ours. If we beat Cinci the Pats go 12-4, if not, then I add another loss from either SD/Indy or GB/MN

Week one is the decider.

Same here. It's hard to predict with just pre-season games. Those are played with different goals and those goals change every week too so it's tough. Week one will decide.

I get your point, to a point. However, if the pre-season goals were to not ever cover a tight end, to not ever set the edge on running plays, and to let a rookie QB light up your starting defense, then I'd say the Patriots met their goals.

O.K., I have waited until the very last minute to predict, because I was having a very hard time. Why?

Well, look at this team that went 10 and 6 last year, from an offensive stand point. You add Tate to the WR mix and kickoff team. You add three TEs that could give Brady some amazing weapons. That should be a plus right?

Our return team could be better, and our rookie punter could translate into better field position.

This team could be better than last year's team right? Right.

However, this schedule is ridiculously tough. It just is. If they were better on offense and defense, the could possibly have a worse record, with this schedule.

Their best offensive lineman doesn't seem any closer to joining the team, and his supposed replacement Kaczur could be out for a long time.

So, now the defense. Last year I, like many, watched every game, sometimes more than once. The main thing that jumped out at me had to be the opposing QBs having all kinds of time in the pocket. We had little pressure.

Well, in the preseason, they didn't seem to have fixed that, with the players that were able to play. I figured, coming in that a healthy Ty Warren could help (as he played hurt last year). I figured that re-signing Bodden was huge overall for their D.

Then, both get put on IR and are out for the year. I was excited to see McGowen's growth in his second year (as I was for Bodden), and now HE is out for the year.

So, our defense is going to be full of either newly added players (non-rookies) to the team, 2nd year players, and/or rookies . That's exciting on one level, but with such a horrible pass rush, it could be brutal. They will have to be covering their men for a long time. That's hard for seasoned pros.

Finally, ever since 2001, the Patriots have had as many, if not more injuries than most in the league. It almost has seemed unfair, you must admit. Well this year, we haven't played one game, and we will be missing some key players for the year. Point is, they will have more injuries and what depth do they have?

IF I knew that Cunningham, Brace, Murrell and Ninkovich will give us the pass rush that we were missing, I'd be predicting something different that what I'm about to predict. Likewise, if I thought the injury bug would stop dead in it's tracks right now. But I don't, and I don't.

So,..............drum roll please, I predict the Pats will be 8 and 8. Please don't slam be for being negative. I just see a team that is an injury away from trouble. Yes, you can always say that. My whole point is that they had so many before the first game that I am feeling less than confident.

Please God let me be wrong. I love my Patriots! Let Cunningham have 10 sacks. Let us all say Brace is a stud. Let us see defensive rookie of the year Spikes or McGourty shine as rooks. Most of all, let us go 16 weeks with no more injuries. Buckle up. We'll see what happens. I guess you can see it's the early injury bug that has me worried.

See to me saying that with Tom Brady being 100% with the best weapons he has ever had will lead to 8-8 is like saying the team that if you replace Brady with an average QB we would be about 2-14. The other 52 are not that bad.

O.K., I have waited until the very last minute to predict, because I was having a very hard time. Why?

Well, look at this team that went 10 and 6 last year, from an offensive stand point. You add Tate to the WR mix and kickoff team. You add three TEs that could give Brady some amazing weapons. That should be a plus right?

Our return team could be better, and our rookie punter could translate into better field position.

However, this schedule is ridiculously tough. It just is. If they were better on offense and defense, the could possibly have a worse record, with this schedule.

Their best offensive lineman doesn't seem any closer to joining the team, and his supposed replacement Kaczur could be out for a long time.

So, now the defense. Last year I, like many, watched every game, sometimes more than once. The main thing that jumped out at me had to be the opposing QBs having all kinds of time in the pocket. We had little pressure.

Well, in the preseason, they didn't seem to have fixed that, with the players that were able to play. I figured, coming in that a healthy Ty Warren could help (as he played hurt last year). I figured that re-signing Bodden was huge overall for their D.

Then, both get put on IR and are out for the year. I was excited to see McGowen's growth in his second year (as I was for Bodden), and now HE is out for the year.

So, our defense is going to be full of either newly added players (non-rookies) to the team, 2nd year players, and/or rookies . That's exciting on one level, but with such a horrible pass rush, it could be brutal. They will have to be covering their men for a long time. That's hard for seasoned pros.

Finally, ever since 2001, the Patriots have had as many, if not more injuries than most in the league. It almost has seemed unfair, you must admit. Well this year, we haven't played one game, and we will be missing some key players for the year. Point is, they will have more injuries and what depth do they have?

IF I knew that Cunningham, Brace, Murrell and Ninkovich will give us the pass rush that we were missing, I'd be predicting something different that what I'm about to predict. Likewise, if I thought the injury bug would stop dead in it's tracks right now. But I don't, and I don't.

So,..............drum roll please, I predict the Pats will be 8 and 8. Please don't slam be for being negative. I just see a team that is an injury away from trouble. Yes, you can always say that. My whole point is that they had so many before the first game that I am feeling less than confident.

Please God let me be wrong. I love my Patriots! Let Cunningham have 10 sacks. Let us all say Brace is a stud. Let us see defensive rookie of the year Spikes or McGourty shine as rooks. Most of all, let us go 16 weeks with no more injuries. Buckle up. We'll see what happens. I guess you can see it's the early injury bug that has me worried.

IMO, you correctly point out the difficulty of the schedule. Would it really surprise any serious Patriots fan if the Bengals ran up 450 yards and 37 points against this defense in week 1? Next, at the Jets. The Patriots will probably be around +7 in that game. Buffalo should be a win, but the Patriots will probably be underdogs at Miami in week four, at home against Baltimore, and at San Diego. A 2-4 start is very possible. 9-7 or 8-8 would be a respectable season after a start like that.

I picked 11-5. I think, with the Pats tough schedule out of the gate, and their defense still gelling, I could see them be 5-5 after 10 games. Then I want to see them win out.:D

7-9

third place

no "defense"

no running game

5 bad drafts in a row

sawree, best I can do

Well, I came out here this morning, figuring, since it was opening day, that I had all the information I was going to get to post my season prediction. Then I read the story of Brady's auto accident! I'm just going to assume that Brady came out on top in a case of "Bentley vs. Minivan" and that the reports are accurate that he was shaken up but not injured.

10--6.

Why? I'm confident that Brady and Belichick together will be able to offset whatever disadvantages might arise from key injuries (Bodden, Warren, Kaczur, etc), holdouts (Mankins), a very young secondary, a missing Pass Rush, an unsettled Offensive line and a questionable running attack.

Having pointed out the "issues," I think it's very important to note that this team is not "bad." :D Sometimes, I read stuff out here and I think folks are talking about the Lions or Browns. This is a pretty darn good team! It just happens to be playing in what promises to be a tough division and a with a tough schedule that's full of hungry and/or established teams (Ravens, Steelers, Colts, Bungles, Vikings and Packers, for example).

The secondary is inexperienced, but has a ton of potential that we might start to see emerge sooner than we think. It's hard to get around the Pass Rush challenge, but the O Line is made up of a bunch of very good players, who have unfortunately had to be moved around, more or less at the last minute. Likewise with the running game; inconsistency maybe, but also no real dogs. In addition, I'm excited about the differences at Tight End and what that will mean and, last but not least, we do have guys named Moss and Welker and Edelman. Finally we have a K who is proven in all but the toughest playoff conditions, is usually a lock from 45 yards in and can limit return opportunities by booming the ball deep into or out of the endzone a couplof times a game.

Why not 12--4 or higher? I won't fall down in amazement if they put up that kind of record, but the schedule is tough, the division is harder and there are a bunch of pieces that have to work out or come together (see above). So, I'm comfortable saying 10--6, a Division Title or Wild Card ticket to the Playoffs, where our guys will be competitive and anything can happen.

Greetings,
10-6
Peace,
Celticboy04

What do you predict the Bills' record to be this year? That's a sincere question, not baiting you.

The Bills team would never admit it, but I think they are purposely stripping the Bills, so as to draft Locker @ #1, 2010. That would make the team more valuable as the Wilson estate sells it, to pay inheritance taxes.

Fanatical Yankee's Off The Grid 2010 Prognosis!!

Do we usually forge a thread for our ForeCasts for a given season?

I have a few Calls I'd like to throw out there. They're not Patriot Specific, but as all OUR Calls would all be from Patriot FANS, perhaps that would warrant a "Collective" Thread? I'll let the Moderators be the Judge of that...

AFC Alternative: Fanatical Yankee's Off The Grid Perspective!!

Jets: The biggest thing the Jets have going against them is the same thing the 2009 Fish had going against them: 16 teams that had NO "Book" on the Jets and their Tactics, one year ago...now have a BIBLE.

It will almost certainly make a big impact on Wins and Losses.

Just ask the 2009 Fish.

For MY money, the Jets are REAL, ladies and gentlemen. And I, for one, LOVE Rex Ryan's Brashness. I believe, in fact, that he's an awfully good Coach. In 2011, after the Jets have become Battle Hardened by this year's travails, I expect them to be STRONG contenders for The Final Four.

But not NOW.

NOW...They Run the Gauntlet.

Fish: The Fish HAVE now Run The Gauntlet...and now they ARE seasoned.

THAT...will make a BIG difference.

Everybody knows: The Vast Majority usually get it wrong.

1 year ago, the Fish were America's Darlings, The Team of Destiny.

NOW...they're Yesterday's News.

Tales of the Fish's Demise are GREATLY exaggerated, Gentlemen.

And Gary Nolan has a STRONG history of Seismic Impact.

Beware.

Ravens: Fish II, as far as I'm concerned: A New Wave, made a Big Splash in Year One, Ran The Gauntlet, Year Two...and are now Battle Seasoned.

Great O Line.

Great D Line.

Great LB Crew.

Solid QB, young and improving, who stays within himself and Uses The Whole Pig.

Championship Contenders.

Browns. YES.

The BROWNS.

Mangina???

Shall we source Colonel Jessup, once again?

I think he's kind of a weasel, myself. But he's an awfully good Head Coach, and in the end we see eye to eye on the best way to run a FootBall Team.

That's it.

That's my Argument.

I believe that the 5-11 Browns are about to make a shocking PlayOff Run, though I tend to think they'll probably fall just short:

Jaguars: I LOVE what they've been doing with their O Line, the last few years. The Jaguars are a very limited team, with a sad excuse for a QuarterBack...but they LOVE playing FootBall, down there, and they keep it simple: RUN the Ball. Their O Line has been BESET by injuries, but they've brought in a LOT of great New Blood on that Line, and if they can stay healthy, they've got Mojo Drew, Rashad Jennings, and my boy Deji Karim, ready to BLAST that thing!!

PlayOff Standings

3 ~ Patriots 12-4
5 ~ Bad Fish 11-5

2 ~ Ravens 12-4

4 ~ Bolts ~ 11-5

1 ~ Colts ~ 13-3
6 ~ Jaguars ~ 11-5

I see the Ravens as most likely to pull off the Conference. Their Front 7 is aging, but stellar. God KNOWS they can be passed on, though.

The Colts remain heavily vulnerable to teams with exceptional Run Games on Defense, and to stalwart 3-4 Defenses on Offense. That means, in my view, that the Patriots, the Bolts, or even the Jaguars ~ though they play a 4-3 ~ could topple them. But I have a feeling it'll be the Fish who do the honors.

Ironically, the Colts best match up may very well be against the Ravens, who have a stellar Defense, but which is both of a 4-3 style AND aging...and whose biggest vulnerability is the Secondary, which Manning could well make mince meat out of...So while I have the Ravens as my projected Super Bowl entry, it is only because I believe the Colts will be upset by a lower seed ~ most likely the Fish ~ in the Divisional Games...Otherwise, I believe the Colts would STOMP the Ravens.

How It Could Go Right

I believe the Patriots are most likely one year away. I expect them to improve by year's end, but still be susceptible to a powerfull O Line, such as the Ravens command, particularly to the OutSide Run. However, it's not inconceivable that Deaderick + Brace batten down the Flanks, and Ninkovich, Cain, Cunningham, and possibly Murrell combine to solidify the OLB spots. If that happens, all bets are off, as I expect our Secondary ~ the cause of so much wailing and gnashing of teeth, this week!! ~ could be exceptional, by the end of the year.

And any number of things could go right.

The Ravens are the team I wish least to meet, because their O Line could dominate our fledgling D Line...But the Patriots have a WHIRLWIND of Offensive Weaponry, the Greatest QuarterBack in ALL the Land, and the Defensive Genius of the ERA: There is a STRONG possibility, in my view, that we just ROLL through the regular season, and blast our way to a 13-3 or 14-2 record, while the Colts stumble a couple times against an INTENSELY competitive 2010 AFC South.

In other words: We could be Top Seed.

And if THAT happens...the Ravens will quite possibly have to play the Colts in the Divisionals...which would mean their @$$es.

Were that to transpire...even though I still think we're a year away from being BACK...I would LOVE our chances.

Fanatical Yankee's Off the Grid 2010 NFC Prognosis!!

1 ~ Eagles surprise under a new QB and win their Division!!

2 ~ Vikings fall on their face...but still win the Division!!
3 ~ Bears, despite all the new talent, fall flat on their faces!!
4 ~ Lions shock the crap out of most everyone and challenge for the Division!!

5 ~ Miners take full command of the West!!

6 ~ Saints continue to rock and roll...but ultimately blow up!!
7 ~ Falcons take the Division...and the Conference!!

I see the Patriot's going 13-3 with a low of 11-5 and a high of 14-2.

Offense
The Offense has more weapons than any other in the league and Tom Brady is now two years removed from his major leg injury. Last season the problems with the offense were lack of weapons and predictability. Now we have Moss (playing for a contract), Welker, Edelman and Tate in their second years, a major leap year for NFL receiver’s and have added Crumpler, Hernandez, and Gronkowski. I believe the tight ends will help us greatly with predictability and help the running game. Judging by the preseason BB has made it a point to be more balanced and less predictable; doing so will make us very hard to stop. Not having Mankins is a loss but I don't think it is as big a deal as most do. Connally played well in the preseason and I love the Tackle combo of Light and Volmer. I expect us to be the highest scoring team in the NFL, and if not, easily top 3.

Special Team's
The Special team's is something that I believe many people are overlooking. We have an elite Unit that may be the best in the NFL, and is a major improvement over last season. We have an all pro kicker, and have now added "you don’t mess with the Zoltan (Mesko)", who played very well all preseason and will greatly help us win the field position battle, helping our young defense. We have also greatly improved in the return game. Brandon Tate hold's a great deal of College football Kick Return records and as he showed against the Ram's, he is going to be an explosive weapon for the Patriots this season. I believe Edelman will be returning punts, and will be one of the best returner's in the league, that’s if BB decides not to use Tate. Either way, our Return game will be very dangerous and we will more often than not have great field position. I believe we have the number 1 special team's unit in the NFL.

Defense
I’m sure you were wondering why I left the defense for last. The reason is that the Defense is the biggest question mark. If my belief about the offense and special team's is correct, then the defense will only need to be average for the Patriot's to be a GREAT team; and if the defense can be about the 15th best in the league, which I believe they can be, and possibly better, then 13-3 or better is a real possibility. At the very least the Defense should be better than it was a year ago. We have added Brandon Spikes, and Devon McCourty, and Pat Chung and Butler have a full year of experience to grow on. I believe they will be four key improvements on the defense; Especially Chung, Spikes, and McCourty. On top of these additions there is Cunningham who showed great potential out of Florida and is now healthy. I have no evaluation on him because I have not seen him play but hopefully he can contribute. The Key losses to the defense are Warren, Bodden, and Burgess.I am not worried about the Warren lose because I feel that he is always hurt anyway, and I am not worried about Burgess because he stinks. The Bodden loss is a big one. Especially because it mean's Wilhite may have to be on the field (AHH). However, I think the defense can overcome the loss and with the addition's that have been made be better than the defense was a year ago. If the defense is improved, the Pats will have an average NFL defense, which paired with the best Offense and Special teams in the league, will make the 2010 New England Patriot's a force to be wrecking with, and a legitimist super bowl contender.

Prediction: 13-3, #1 seed in AFC, and Super bowl Champions.

Some posters are clearly tripping on Acid.

I've read 14-2, 15-1, 13-3.

Seriously folks.... lay off the medicine.

If by any chance the Pats go all the way, they wont be better than a 12-4 team. I seriously believe that 11-5 is more than likely with a wake-up call to be served by the Bungles tomorrow.

Well said, and I also entered 8-8.

Because I didn't have the guts to enter what I really feel will be our record: 6-10.

We can't stop the run, because we have no talent at DE.

We can't stop the pass, because we have no talent at OLB.

We can't - or won't - run the ball, because Taylor & Morris will get hurt, sooner than later.

We don't have a true Lead Blocker to kick a LB's ass, and to establish a mindset.

All we can do is throw the ball, but only if Brady has enough time to throw the ball.

And I doubt that this deteriorating OL will ever give Brady enough time to throw, often enough to matter.

Add it all up, and it equals mediocrity.

Last edited:
I'm going to close the thread now and move it over to the Practice Squad forum. I'll bring it back at the end of the year and we can all see what kind of geniuses we were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back