PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Predict our Starting Secondary

Status
Not open for further replies.

QB12

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Given that we're somewhat nicked up, yet only Hobbs was the lone player not at practice the last 2 days, predict who starts in the secondary Sunday:

My predictions:

CB - Samuel
CB - Hobbs
S - Harrison
S - Wilson

QB12

QB12 said:
Given that we're somewhat nicked up, yet only Hobbs was the lone player not at practice the last 2 days, predict who starts in the secondary Sunday:

My predictions:

CB - Samuel
CB - Hobbs
S - Harrison
S - Wilson

QB12

CB - Moe
CB - Larry
S - Curly
S - Shemp

Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk! :D

CB Chad Scott
CB Hank Poteat
S Rodney Harrison
S Tebucky Jones

Kdo5 said:
CB Chad Scott
CB Hank Poteat
S Rodney Harrison
S Tebucky Jones

Jones is on IR, done for the year.

Scott
Samuel
Rodney
Wilson

A bunch of short non-tackling cb's and a fragile safety combined with a slow one. I expect three big play TD's against them. You'd think last year would've opened their eyes. Not so. Expect a weak secondary for a while. 4 huge f ups in 2 straight games. More to come.

QB12 said:

My predictions:

CB - Samuel
CB - Hobbs
S - Harrison
S - Wilson

QB12
you better add someone in the slot, there's probably going to be alot of nickle package.

"Short" really gets to me. i've been upset for years

soxpatsbscs said:
A bunch of short non-tackling cb's and a fragile safety combined with a slow one. I expect three big play TD's against them. You'd think last year would've opened their eyes. Not so. Expect a weak secondary for a while. 4 huge f ups in 2 straight games. More to come.
ellis hobbs is clearly a good CB. but the kid's just too damm short, cant do the jump balls. heard he had somethin like a 42-inch vertical.
not out there on that field.
samuels, gay (and wilson) are listed at, like, 5-11, 185.
how do they get up there and bust up a sweep? or even a screen?
god save these tiny DBs . and WRs.
get jackson back on the field!

Michelin Man
Diet Pepsi Machine
Pat the Patriot
Troy Brown

Re: "Short" really gets to me. i've been upset for years

Actually I think Sammuel and Gay are decent in run coverage.

I've seen both Asante and Hobbs make great hits. I still think they are too small in a league that's only getting bigger. BB is going to stick with this kind of thing after 04. They need to get Hobbs to be Ty Law size. HGH anyone?

Poteat? hahah. He's only good stopping the Colts a week after being on his couch.

I think Hobbs will do better once him and Harrison/Wilson work the under/over thing that Law and Harrison had done so well. Thats why Law was able to pick Manning off 3 times that championship game.

My guess is:

Duane Starks
Monty Biesel
Chad Brown
Randy Gay

soxpatsbscs said:

Unfortunately, I fear that your expectations will be met, and then some, on Sunday.

3 quality DBs drafted (the jury's still out on Sanders) in 7 years. That, folks, is Bobby Grier-esque.

But, hey, at least we've drafted lots of TEs and DLs. And a 4th-round PK.

One must have priorities, after all.

We have used enough draft picks on defensive backs. The question is quality, or perhaps type of back. We've used at least six top picks (1-4) in the last few years on Samuel,Wilson,G. Scott,Sanders,Hobbs and of course Starks. We've also used late picks and UDFA's to add Gay and Andrews.

KOOLAID SAYS
1) We've done great.
2) We've been unlucky with injuries to Guss Scott and Gay
3) We have fine future starting set in
Hobbs,Samuel,Gay,Wilson, and Sanders
4) We will always have veteran backups in the mix like Hawkins, Chad Scott and Poteat. We do indeed have our youthful quality starting group.

Pass the koolaid please.

captain stone said:
Unfortunately, I fear that your expectations will be met, and then some, on Sunday.

3 quality DBs drafted (the jury's still out on Sanders) in 7 years. That, folks, is Bobby Grier-esque.

But, hey, at least we've drafted lots of TEs and DLs. And a 4th-round PK.

One must have priorities, after all.

mgteich said:
We have used enough draft picks on defensive backs. The question is quality, or perhaps type of back. We've used at least six top picks (1-4) in the last few years on Samuel,Wilson,G. Scott,Sanders,Hobbs and of course Starks. We've also used late picks and UDFA's to add Gay and Andrews.

KOOLAID SAYS
1) We've done great.
2) We've been unlucky with injuries to Guss Scott and Gay
3) We have fine future starting set in
Hobbs,Samuel,Gay,Wilson, and Sanders
4) We will always have veteran backups in the mix like Hawkins, Chad Scott and Poteat. We do indeed have our youthful quality starting group.

Pass the koolaid please.

"We've used at least six top picks (1-4) in the last few years on Samuel,Wilson,G. Scott,Sanders,Hobbs and of course Starks."

Don't forget the brainfarts that were Brock Williams (3rd rd.- 2001) and Dexter Reid (4th rd.- 2004), both of whom were taken at least 2 rounds too early.

Last edited:
Good reminders. So we've used EIGHT picks in the rounds 2-4 for defensive backs (including the pick used to trade for a db). So, it's not about intent or priorities; it is about the quality of the picking.

We are now fine at TE, but we also used an enourmous amount of picks at TE.

DL is one place where we've done a GREAT job through the draft.

captain stone said:
"We've used at least six top picks (1-4) in the last few years on Samuel,Wilson,G. Scott,Sanders,Hobbs and of course Starks."

Don't forget the brainfarts that were Brock Williams (3rd rd.- 2001) and Dexter Reid (4th rd.- 2004), both of whom were taken at least 2 rounds too early.

captain stone said:

I don't get it. Wilson, Hobbs, and Samuel were great value picks in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds respectively. Guss Scott and Brock Williams could never get on the field b/c of injuries and sanders is an unknown commodity. Dexter Reid sucks. And Gay was a nice FA pickup. If your point is that they drafted poorly in the secondary, I would say the results were average to above average.

You think we did well with these eight top picks, or above average???? I think that the standard should be much higher. The only reason we rate this group as above average is that we are patriot fans, and are homers, as we should be. How many probowl votes do you think our secondary will get this year? Do they deserve any? Harrison is probowl quality, but is still nowhere near 100%, but he is doing great!

letekro said:
I don't get it. Wilson, Hobbs, and Samuel were great value picks in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds respectively. Guss Scott and Brock Williams could never get on the field b/c of injuries and sanders is an unknown commodity. Dexter Reid sucks. And Gay was a nice FA pickup. If your point is that they drafted poorly in the secondary, I would say the results were average to above average.

letekro said:

Unfortunately, Brock Williams and little Guss Scott were also drafted at least 2 rounds too early.

Overall, I would say that the results have been average to below average.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes