PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre emptive strike--LB Spikes/Foote for a draft pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffbiologist

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I think the speed of us pursuing a LB is slow because the guy we have our eyes on isnt released yet. Now I know our guys know what they are doing, but it wouldnt surprise me to see a GOOD vet ILB plucked off a team for a 3-th rd pick. I think if we were "pressing" we would have at least pursued these guys that have already signed more than it appears. But take a look around the league to find a old guy with a good backup and target that team after they get done in FA shopping.

I think the speed of us pursuing a LB is slow because the guy we have our eyes on isnt released yet. Now I know our guys know what they are doing, but it wouldnt surprise me to see a GOOD vet ILB plucked off a team for a 3-th rd pick. I think if we were "pressing" we would have at least pursued these guys that have already signed more than it appears. But take a look around the league to find a old guy with a good backup and target that team after they get done in FA shopping.

What makes you think either Spikes or Foote will be released? I know the Steelers drafted Timmons high last year, but he has yet to show he can step up in a starting role and he is more projected as a OLB. With Farrior being 33, I am guessing the Steelers have no desire to let Foote go since he is reaching his prime right now. I don't think a 3rd round pick is nearly enough for the Steelers to give up Foote.

As for Spikes, I'll give you that there are rumors he will be cut. But will the guy fit into a 3-4?

I think the Pats will pursue some LBs who are already free agents. They may go after Haggans and/or Hobson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes