PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Practice Squad: Oldenburg, Bam, Mays, Jones, Thomas, Eckel, Rader so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fans should not get unhappy or excited over the players on the practice squad. This is a work in progress and will change as players are cut from other teams.

Fans should not get unhappy or excited over the players on the practice squad. This is a work in progress and will change as players are cut from other teams.
And boy am I thankful for that with these two recent, underwhelming choices.

Re: Practice Squad information as it is formed...

Mays also is an inside linebacker...Rogers outside...I think they would have loved to have Rogers here developing...who knows, Dallas might cut him at some point...I just wished they kept him on the 53.

Well, what will most likely happen is Dallas will wait for him to get an ingrown toenail and move him to the IR. Smart/sneaky thing to do when poaching guys.

I don't understand the Eckel signing. I'd have preferred Quinton Smith.

Eckel has a huge black mark in being dismissed from the Navy. And, while he was decent, he wasn't spectacular by any stretch of the imagination when he was here 2 years ago.

To be fair to Eckel, unless the circumstances around his dismissal (was he dishonorably discharged? or just discharged?) are known, he shouldn't be chastised.

To be fair to Eckel, unless the circumstances around his dismissal (was he dishonorably discharged? or just discharged?) are known, he shouldn't be chastised.

The fact that he is on the hook for re-paying the Navy for his tuition/training strongly suggest that his discharge was honorable. Otherwise they would have simply kicked him out.

Now, the incident in Maryland may have led to the Navy's decision to discharge him instead of waiting for a case to go to trial, which could potentially put a black mark on the Navy.

I don't understand the Eckel signing. I'd have preferred Quinton Smith.

Eckel has a huge black mark in being dismissed from the Navy.

I, too, wwwould like to have seen Quinton brought back, but as for Eckel - don't you think this F.O. in particular has likely looked into whatever the "black mark" is and determined that they're comfortable with the signing anyway? I won't even play the "it's only the p.s." card, which I know you know, b/c even for the p.s. I 'm sure they do their homework.

I, too, wwwould like to have seen Quinton brought back, but as for Eckel - don't you think this F.O. in particular has likely looked into whatever the "black mark" is and determined that they're comfortable with the signing anyway? I won't even play the "it's only the p.s." card, which I know you know, b/c even for the p.s. I 'm sure they do their homework.

I would hazard a guess that the Patriots staff is going to try to coach up Eckel to replace what they lost on the practice field with Mills going.

What about this kid for the PS? He is a local kid and he would bust his butt for the Patriots and has NFL experience on special teams.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_previousnews.aspx?sport=NFL&id=4006

Ryan LaCasse

Height: 6-3 Weight: 257
Position: DE Pos2: OLB
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2006
40 Time: 4.62

From NFlDraftScout:

LaCasse has the acceleration to close on the pocket in a hurry. He extends his arms and attacks the ball with force in attempts to jar it out of the ball carrier's hands (seven forced fumbles in two years). His change of direction quickness lets him flatten and get down the line of scrimmage. He will make most of his living chasing and making plays from the back side, as he does not have the bulk to be an every down defender at the pro level. But with his work ethic and intelligence, a move to middle linebacker or possibly even to fullback (see rushing figures in high school) is not out of the question.

I don't know why it bothers anyone where i post, I posted at KFFL and PatsPlanet a long time before I registered here (the old format wasn't so good).
I should have used a different smiley - given the love between that self-proclaimed football genius and myself I found the image of you being mentored there and the conflict between our views here hilarious...I still do! :rofl: Viva la what's its name and his amazing oblique spheroid acumen (or convincing lack thereof)!
I don't have anything against him. Depending on low picks and free agents is like shopping at Filene's basement.
As we've argued ad nauseam in the past; in this case I was directly referencing the play I saw in preseason vice any pedigree concerns - to my uneducated eye there was no comparison between Mays and Lua, to Lua's detriment. We can't be sure either amounts to a hill of beans until they consistently work against first string offenses in game conditions. Until that day I control that which is in my power - the Tivo remote - and report what frame advance and slo-motion helps me see. Mays was in the right place, as I understood his assignment, more often then not, he tackled well, he seemed to do a much better job in coverage then last preseason, he seemed to have better speed and quickness then Lua - though that may have been better reads too.

For now, both are still with the team, but only Mays has a chance to get game reps this year and build on the foundation that has kept him around so far. May both develop into blue chip stocks in time to seamlessly replace the current stars.

I would hazard a guess that the Patriots staff is going to try to coach up Eckel to replace what they lost on the practice field with Mills going.
They have Eckel and they could try to switch Herron back to FB while retaining him for STs. Quinton Smith seems to still be available, and who knows how Hairston will develop between now and next year's mini-camps, maybe the Watson TE experience will yield way to a Watson as Chris Cooley experience with Dave Thomas and sundry others at TE...there certainly appears to be more then one arrow in the quiver when all is said and done.

They have Eckel and they could try to switch Herron back to FB while retaining him for STs. Quinton Smith seems to still be available, and who knows how Hairston will develop between now and next year's mini-camps, maybe the Watson TE experience will yield way to a Watson as Chris Cooley experience with Dave Thomas and sundry others at TE...there certainly appears to be more then one arrow in the quiver when all is said and done.

I think - and "think" should be in all caps - they'll keep Herron at MLB. I don't believe he was plucked off the waiver wire to replace Mills (it appears Eckel was chosen to do that, though he's not a deft pass-catcher like Mills was).

No, I'm not making any predictions. The one thing we can all count on is a PS that will change week by week, so most of this is moot. :bricks:

I agree. The place to develop a FB is on the Practice Squad. Herron will play ST's and emergency ILB, replacing Mays from last year, or not. Actually, I think tha he is very, very unlikely to last half the season. He may not last more than a week.

I think - and "think" should be in all caps - they'll keep Herron at MLB. I don't believe he was plucked off the waiver wire to replace Mills (it appears Eckel was chosen to do that, though he's not a deft pass-catcher like Mills was).

No, I'm not making any predictions. The one thing we can all count on is a PS that will change week by week, so most of this is moot. :bricks:

Right, Eckel and Mills can't be compared. Mills is a TE/FB. Eckel is a FB/RB.

Right, Eckel and Mills can't be compared. Mills is a TE/FB. Eckel is a FB/RB.

They are/were practice squad players. Their job is/was to play the role of a player on the opposing team, probably the H-back hybrid. I'd say they can be compared.

Herron will play ST's and emergency ILB, replacing Mays from last year, or not. Actually, I think tha he is very, very unlikely to last half the season. He may not last more than a week.
Funny how so many looked at Mays as just a fill in and he's still around. Who knows about Herron I know that everyone seems to think they went after him AFTER they knew Mills was being claimed on waivers, but the timing doesn't fit in with that. If anything, with Lua on IR, they may have believed that Herron might be a possible replacement. Time will tell.

Herron must be considered a better prospect than Mays. Otherwise, Mays would be on the 53-man roster.

Funny how so many looked at Mays as just a fill in and he's still around. Who knows about Herron I know that everyone seems to think they went after him AFTER they knew Mills was being claimed on waivers, but the timing doesn't fit in with that. If anything, with Lua on IR, they may have believed that Herron might be a possible replacement. Time will tell.

Herron must be considered a better prospect than Mays. Otherwise, Mays would be on the 53-man roster.
At least that what it seems now...they know what Mays can do..maybe they think Herron has a lot of qualaties they wish for in an ILB...we will find out soon. I am glad they have a number of young LBs that might make it in time.

I should have used a different smiley - given the love between that self-proclaimed football genius and myself I found the image of you being mentored there and the conflict between our views here hilarious...I still do! :rofl: Viva la what's its name and his amazing oblique spheroid acumen (or convincing lack thereof)!As we've argued ad nauseam in the past; in this case I was directly referencing the play I saw in preseason vice any pedigree concerns - to my uneducated eye there was no comparison between Mays and Lua, to Lua's detriment. We can't be sure either amounts to a hill of beans until they consistently work against first string offenses in game conditions. Until that day I control that which is in my power - the Tivo remote - and report what frame advance and slo-motion helps me see. Mays was in the right place, as I understood his assignment, more often then not, he tackled well, he seemed to do a much better job in coverage then last preseason, he seemed to have better speed and quickness then Lua - though that may have been better reads too.

For now, both are still with the team, but only Mays has a chance to get game reps this year and build on the foundation that has kept him around so far. May both develop into blue chip stocks in time to seamlessly replace the current stars.

Don't be silly, Box I'm a free agent and a free spirit. I try to get along with everybody and if I zing someone and I'm wrong, I apologize which I've done a few times. When I start taking Messageboards seriously, it's time to go.

As far as Mays and Lua go, I think the Pats will be lucky for Alexander to have any real impact, much less those two. I think the Pats will sign a F.A., or the world will spin off it's axis in 2008 and they'll actually draft a day one LB.

I hope the current crop proves me wrong, because it will save the team money. I've been a Woods fan since last years pre season, but he hasn't proved diddley yet either.

The last LB they developed was named Bruschi and that was a long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots