PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Practice Squad: Oldenburg, Bam, Mays, Jones, Thomas, Eckel, Rader so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Santonio Thomas to PS

Welcome back! We need practice DL's.

We still have three spots left. We haven't heard about Elgin or Hilliard.

:woohoo: Welcome back Santonio!

Mystifies me why someone doesn't pick him up.

Welcome back. Always gives a good effort out there.

Re: Practice Squad information as it is formed: Oldenburg, Bam, Mays, Jones, Thomas

Santonio back per Reiss.

Re: Practice Squad information as it is formed: Oldenburg, Bam, Mays, Jones, Thomas

I don't see the point in Mays, I really don't. If we're not going to expend any money or draft picks, we'll have to keep trying guys out until we get lucky.

Looks like we got lucky with Woods, and Alexander needs to show something this year IMO.

Re: Practice Squad information as it is formed...

Herron and Rivers make 53...Bam's anouncement came before theirs, but if you read the wording Reiss used, "The Patriots and receiver Bam Childress finalized an agreement today...," it leaves out when the agreement will be signed.

A tip of the hat to Canada's #1 Pats Fan for joining me in noticing that Corey Mays was playing some good football at ILB this preseason. His progress from last year at this time was quite significant. His technique taking on blockers looked better in game four then it did in game one; I stick my :p out to patsfanken and suggest he give those trifocals a tune-up before the Jest game - failure to hold the point of attack indeed. :D

Too bad Rogers was scarfed up by Dallas...we can only hope Dallas needs to dump him at some point to make room, the bad part is they are using the blitz/penetrating version of the 3-4 which could make use of him much sooner.

:woohoo: for Bam! Good to see C.J. and Clint back in the fold too. I join the Elgin bandwagon in hoping his re-signing is announced soon. I wouldn't mind if Kelvin Kight was brought back either.

Herron isn't someone I know anything about, I've got Tivo set to grab the Dallas/Minnesota game this week to see what I can make out from that game.

I wonder who Pioli was hoping for before they decided to bring Rivers back...but I'm darned glad he is back with the Pats.

Bummer about Mills, I was hoping to see him on the Practice Squad.

Boy, do we disagree. Mays looked as lost as lost could be to me. Made Lua look like a star by comparison, and I don't think he looked good.

Last edited:

Herron isn't someone I know anything about, I've got Tivo set to grab the Dallas/Minnesota game this week to see what I can make out from that game.

I wonder who Pioli was hoping for before they decided to bring Rivers back...but I'm darned glad he is back with the Pats.

Bummer about Mills, I was hoping to see him on the Practice Squad.
Box, I'll look forward to your thoughts on Herron, I haven't heard too many opinions based on people watching him in action.

I'm glad about Rivers and Jones and Thomas and everyone loves Bam. I'll take your word on Mays -- he did seem to show up a bit in the 4th game, after Lua went out. Always seemed in the middle of the action.

I'm disappointed about Rogers, actually quite disappointed. Not so much about Mills. I know a lot of folks liked him, but I thought he struggled a bit in the 4th game. I don't know how to judge if the RB or FB screwed up, but I thought he blocked one guy right into the RB (Smith) on a play and ran at least one incorrect passing route and whiffed on at least one other block. For a guy drafted at the same time as Dave Thomas, and only one round after, he seemed light years behind him. Maybe that's a bad comparison, Thomas seems pretty special. Rivers, OTOH, seemed like a better fit for the team in light of the TE injuries.

Boy, do we disagree. Mays looked as lost as lost could be to me. Made Lua look like a star by comparison, and I don't think he looked good.
Did I read correctly that you mod for an unnamed forum run by an individual with whom I've had mildly different opinions? How could we hope to be seeing things from the same perspective with that incongruity? :confused:

We are 180 out from each other as Lua was consistently getting blocked 4-5 yds deep, while Mays was plugging the holes. Lua looked like Mays did last year, I can see hope for him only through that perspective. We know BB was giving Lua reps ahead of Mays, that may mean Lua has the greater upside, but the bottom line is Mays is still with the team so BB thinks he has something going for him.

Herron and Rivers make 53...Bam's anouncement came before theirs, but if you read the wording Reiss used, "The Patriots and receiver Bam Childress finalized an agreement today...," it leaves out when the agreement will be signed.

An excellent point, the two pickups hadn't yet been posted when I wrote that and I failed to consider that transactions later in the day could solve the problem. I also missed the wording of the release, and the possibility of a delay.

Did I read correctly that you mod for an unnamed forum run by an individual with whom I've had mildly different opinions? How could we hope to be seeing things from the same perspective with that incongruity? :confused:

We are 180 out from each other as Lua was consistently getting blocked 4-5 yds deep, while Mays was plugging the holes. Lua looked like Mays did last year, I can see hope for him only through that perspective. We know BB was giving Lua reps ahead of Mays, that may mean Lua has the greater upside, but the bottom line is Mays is still with the team so BB thinks he has something going for him.

I post for fun. I look up old stories about the Pats and have about one fan and he lives in Italy. I don't know why it bothers anyone where i post, I posted at KFFL and PatsPlanet a long time before I registered here (the old format wasn't so good).

I wasn't too thrilled with either one, Box. I just noticed Mays spinning around like a top in there.

I don't tape and rewatch games, but I was focusing on linebacker in the 2 preseason games I saw.

I don't have anything against him. Depending on low picks and free agents is like shopping at Filene's basement. You can't just expect to grab things off the rack. You have to check the seams, see if the material is scrachy etc.

No shortcuts when you're shopping for bargains. I like Woods, think they could have held on to Rogers, but that would give them 2 DE to OLB projects, maybe that's why.

I think Mays is this teams Maugaula Tuitele. Matt Chatham, if he's lucky.

We have two old ILBs, we need progress. I just hope Alexander's ready to show something this year.

Last edited:

FWIW, 2008 will be a notable year for drafting linebackers: http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/rankings/ilb.html

Right now, we're looking at Woods, Mays, Alexander and Lua as backups - all UDFAs and late-rounders. This is a tricky time for BB and SP in that there has to be LB turnover, but I don't know how much Rogers fit into their overall plans. Though Rogers will probably develop into something, Herron has as much potential for 2007 as Rogers does in terms of contributing on ST.

Last edited:

Who will the next 3 be??? Do they think Elgin has potentialor is far from what a lineman should be?? Are there others from other teams they are looking at??
Interesting that they now have 2 players who are on their 3rd years of PSqd.

Eckel and Rader to practice squad

Per Reiss, Eckel and Rader signed.

We all know the story on Eckel:

-Signed as UDFA by Pats in 2005
-Waived by Pats on 9/3/05
-Claimed by Dolphins on 9/4/05
-Placed on Reserve/Military list on 9/7/05, on active duty with Navy
-Returned to Dolphins on 11/2/06
-Dismissed by Navy in November 2006:

http://www.kffl.com/player/11306/nfl/news

Dolphins | Eckel reportedly booted out of the Navy - from www.KFFL.com
Fri, 17 Nov 2006 19:15:06 -0800

Armando Salguero, of The Miami Herald, reports Miami Dolphins FB Kyle Eckel was kicked out of the Navy for an undisclosed reason, according to The Navy Times. Initial reports indicated Eckel received an early discharge so he could play in the NFL. As a result of being dismissed, Eckel now owes the Navy $96,229.56 for not fulfilling his service commitment. The report also claimed Eckel faces two assault charges and a sex-offense charge in Anne Arundel County District Court for an August incident, according to District Court of Maryland records. The charges were dropped and no reason was given for their dismissal.

-Granted roster exemption for remainder of 2006 season
-Re-signed as ERFA by Dolphins after 2006 season
-Limited in 2006 minicamp with illness
-Missed the beginning of 2007 training camp with hamstring injury
-Released by Dolphins on Saturday
-Signed to Patriots practice squad today

Eckel does have 1 accrued NFL season -- I'm assuming it was 2006, although he wasn't on the active roster for either 2005 or 2006.

And here's the scoop on Rader:

-26 years old
-Tight end
-Marshall
-1 accrued season (2006)
-6'4", 260 lbs.

-Signed as UDFA by Falcons in 2004
-Released by Falcons on 9/5/04
-Signed by Dolphins on 6/14/05
-Waived by Dolphins on 9/3/05
-Signed to Dolphins practice squad on 11/18/05
-Re-signed to future contract after 2005 season
-Limited in 2006 training camp with injury
-Waived by Dolphins on 9/3/06
-Signed to Dolphins practice squad on 9/5/06
-Promoted to 53-man roster on 9/16/06
-Served as Dolphins' 2nd TE because of Justin Peelle injury
-Waived by Dolphins on 11/8/06
-Re-signed to future contract after 2006 season
-Waived by Dolphins on 8/27/07
-Tried out by the Pats on 8/31/07
-Signed to Patriots practice squad on 9/3/07

Man the Pats sure have a thing for Dolphin players this year. :p

Thanks for the information Pats1.

Man the Pats sure have a thing for Dolphin players this year. :p

Thanks for the information Pats1.

And those from Marshall (Troy Brown, Randy Moss, Hanson and Rader)

Only LSU has as many...IIRC

Edit: LSU has 5 on the team- T. James, Faulk, Gay, Jarvis Green and Eric Alexander.

Last edited:
I don't understand the Eckel signing. I'd have preferred Quinton Smith.

Eckel has a huge black mark in being dismissed from the Navy. And, while he was decent, he wasn't spectacular by any stretch of the imagination when he was here 2 years ago.

Interesting that they brought in another tight end...I think this makes sense given the injury situation...Eckel is a nice blocking back...I think BB is happy to get him back as he was a preseason fave in 05.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes