PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Practice Squad: Oldenburg, Bam, Mays, Jones, Thomas, Eckel, Rader so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Practice Squad information as it is formed...

Dom said:
I though that if a player is claimed on waivers he HAS to be on the 53?
Yes he does for a certain amount of time a few weeks and than you can than go practice squad if you want and can (meaning no one else claims him for a 53).

No, that's wrong.

A waiver claim means the player is on the 53, but there is absolutely no requirement to stay there any length of time. Dallas could cut Rogers tomorrow.

If Dallas does cut him, and he then clears waivers (the waiver process would start over for him) and they offer him a spot on their practice squad, he could be on their PS this week. They are likely legitimately interested in him for the 53, but a claim like this could also be a way of getting him to agree to join their PS rather than ours.

Unless the Play-offs don't count in terms of accrued seasons, I don't understand how Mays is eligible for the practice squad.

Playoffs indeed don't count.

(Although, I believe Alexander earned an accrued season in 2004 because of his playoff time -- that has been the only case I've seen yet.)

That's true--but they also had the roster space to keep Mays, and they didn't keep him, either.

And they didn't keep either on the 53 because they felt neither were worthy enough.

So let's not cry in our cheerios about losing Rogers. The Pats had a chance to keep him and they didn't. That says something.

He didn't exactly take the league by storm in the preseason. Just a few flashy plays.

No, that's wrong.

A waiver claim means the player is on the 53, but there is absolutely no requirement to stay there any length of time. Dallas could cut Rogers tomorrow.

If Dallas does cut him, and he then clears waivers (the waiver process would start over for him) and they offer him a spot on their practice squad, he could be on their PS this week. They are likely legitimately interested in him for the 53, but a claim like this could also be a way of getting him to agree to join their PS rather than ours.

But again...that is more his decision...he could if he wanted come back here on the Pats PSqd. It is interesting how a player's experience may help hurt a team.

Yes he does for a certain amount of time a few weeks and than you can than go practice squad if you want and can (meaning no one else claims him for a 53).

That's wrong, but alamo just explained why.

That's true--but they also had the roster space to keep Mays, and they didn't keep him, either.

So if they didn't keep either player on the roster when they could have, what does that tell you? I'm sure they liked both guys, but not enough to keep them on the roster.

Re: Practice Squad information as it is formed: Oldenburg, Bam, Mays, Jones

I am wondering a few things...1 is about Elgin...it's interesting that a really late pick might be sorting out things from a number of teams now..I would HOPE he is back with teh Pats..but other teams (Denver as some have said..) might have eyes on him. 2--I am wondering if the Pats might have seen another OLB project on another team and are looking to sign him to the Squad?? Also possibly a running back..as with 4 the team is a bit thin.

And they didn't keep either on the 53 because they felt neither were worthy enough.

So let's not cry in our cheerios about losing Rogers. The Pats had a chance to keep him and they didn't. That says something.

He didn't exactly take the league by storm in the preseason. Just a few flashy plays.

You tell 'em Pats1 :rocker:

I am wondering a few things...1 is about Elgin...it's interesting that a really late pick might be sorting out things from a number of teams now..I would HOPE he is back with teh Pats..but other teams (Denver as some have said..) might have eyes on him. 2--I am wondering if the Pats might have seen another OLB project on another team and are looking to sign him to the Squad?? Also possibly a running back..as with 4 the team is a bit thin.

good analysis of the situation

Unless the Play-offs don't count in terms of accrued seasons, I don't understand how Mays is eligible for the practice squad.

Yes, the CBA section specificically says "on the Active List for fewer than nine regular season games during their only Accrued Season(s)."

What I don't understand is how they can sign Childress to the PS. The CBA says "An otherwise eligible player may be a practice squad player for a third
season only if the Club by which he is emplyed that season has at least 53 players on its Active/Inactive List during the entire period of his employment." As far as we know Harrison is on the Reserve/Suspended list and doesn't count as one of the 53. Presumably the league (or the team) has interpreted the requirement to be satisifed in a case like this.

So if they didn't keep either player on the roster when they could have, what does that tell you? I'm sure they liked both guys, but not enough to keep them on the roster.
And that makes one think about the two rsoter spots and what they might be saving them for....what might be MORE important?? I am a bit surprised about Rogers and I still have a small hope that he'll make it back...but what is up with two openings?? As I have said in another thread..more wiating for injuries to make a move if needed??

The punter Philly cut is still out there.

... It's a real shame our top two guys (Mills and Rogers) are gone.

As i see it, two things could've happened.

Either the Patriots f/o missed a chance to use extra, temporary, slots
to bed both Mills and Rogers ...
while leaving cutting them until Asante and Rodney formally return
... during which time Cowboys and Vikes (and everyone else) probably shored up their rosters in alternate ways ...

Or, BB is just a nice guy, and wanted to offer both prime candidates
a chance to advance themselves career-wise
elsewhere.

You decide.

At least they are in the other conference.

And that makes one think about the two rsoter spots and what they might be saving them for....what might be MORE important?? I am a bit surprised about Rogers and I still have a small hope that he'll make it back...but what is up with two openings?? As I have said in another thread..more wiating for injuries to make a move if needed??

An excellent point to ponder!

But first, one opening closes whenever we "activate" Asante. I.e, short-term.
The other is Rodney's. But one would suppose that Tory James is just keeping Rodney's place warm.
James goes in week 5.
Thus, there is only one playable opening.

Given that we seem short-staffed at both DL (6) and LB (8) ... seems to me
the most likely new arrival will play in the defensive front seven.
Is Edge Hartwell still out there?

As i see it, two things could've happened.

Either the Patriots f/o missed a chance to use extra, temporary, slots
to bed both Mills and Rogers ...
while leaving cutting them until Asante and Rodney formally return
... during which time Cowboys and Vikes (and everyone else) probably shored up their rosters in alternate ways ...

Or, BB is just a nice guy, and wanted to offer both prime candidates
a chance to advance themselves career-wise
elsewhere.

You decide.

At least they are in the other conference.

Or they could have been bad enough that there was no chance for them to make the team, and they weren't even good enough to make the practice squad. Sometimes we miss the obvious.

I think when you claim someone you may have 24 hours to cut someone to make room.

J D Sal

Nah, I don't think that was the case. Just one of my theories as to why the Pats were over the limit at some points in training camp. But since that's long behind us, none of that matters anymore.

The Rogers and Mills claims simply haven't gone official yet.

Or they could have been bad enough that there was no chance for them to make the team, and they weren't even good enough to make the practice squad. Sometimes we miss the obvious.

You can only "make" the practice squad after clearing waivers. Both Rogers and Mills were claimed. That's the risk you take, and why they didn't risk it with Guitierrez.

I am wondering about Elgin..I would have thought they would have known a LOT sooner...also wondering about the two roster spots, but also, I think they will not make any move on those until Tues so if they bring players in, they will be there for the weekly ritual.

Yes, the CBA section specificically says "on the Active List for fewer than nine regular season games during their only Accrued Season(s)."

What I don't understand is how they can sign Childress to the PS. The CBA says "An otherwise eligible player may be a practice squad player for a third
season only if the Club by which he is emplyed that season has at least 53 players on its Active/Inactive List during the entire period of his employment." As far as we know Harrison is on the Reserve/Suspended list and doesn't count as one of the 53. Presumably the league (or the team) has interpreted the requirement to be satisifed in a case like this.
Herron and Rivers make 53...Bam's anouncement came before theirs, but if you read the wording Reiss used, "The Patriots and receiver Bam Childress finalized an agreement today...," it leaves out when the agreement will be signed.

A tip of the hat to Canada's #1 Pats Fan for joining me in noticing that Corey Mays was playing some good football at ILB this preseason. His progress from last year at this time was quite significant. His technique taking on blockers looked better in game four then it did in game one; I stick my :p out to patsfanken and suggest he give those trifocals a tune-up before the Jest game - failure to hold the point of attack indeed. :D

Too bad Rogers was scarfed up by Dallas...we can only hope Dallas needs to dump him at some point to make room, the bad part is they are using the blitz/penetrating version of the 3-4 which could make use of him much sooner.

:woohoo: for Bam! Good to see C.J. and Clint back in the fold too. I join the Elgin bandwagon in hoping his re-signing is announced soon. I wouldn't mind if Kelvin Kight was brought back either.

Herron isn't someone I know anything about, I've got Tivo set to grab the Dallas/Minnesota game this week to see what I can make out from that game.

I wonder who Pioli was hoping for before they decided to bring Rivers back...but I'm darned glad he is back with the Pats.

Bummer about Mills, I was hoping to see him on the Practice Squad.

Santonio Thomas to PS

Per Reiss...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back