PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PP's DVR player evaluation - Preseason Game 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: PP's DVR player evaluation- Pre-Season game 1

Yep, he's wearing #39, it's a dead giveaway that a "tight" player is in the backfield and will be lugging the rock shortly - for whatever reason, last season, the play calling rarely involved Maroney in the passing game. This game was similar, when LoMo is in the game the defense keys on the run and aggressive defenses like Philly start run blitzing. I've speculated that it may be a long term playcalling strategy to set defenses up for the run then start hitting Maroney out of the backfield in the passing game, either that or Josh was collaberating with maverick4 to be no smarter than, well, a box of rocks. It's not Maroney that I can see, it's higher up the food chain. If you watched how many times Morris got stuffed in the backfield out of running formations vs. the big holes he got out of passing formations... :confused2:

It also doesn't help that this offensive line doesn't seem to be able to impose its will upon opponents until the opponents have worn themselves out trying to get to Brady for 3 quarters. It would be nice to see this team just come out and pummel opponents into submission on a more regular basis.

I've been a big Woods backer, but when I watched this game back, PushinPencils was spot on - Woods was physically overmatched. In fact, AllWorldTE on PatriotsPlanet himself said he thought Woods did a poor job setting the edge.

Since I am convalescing, I had a chance to watch it again.

I drank the Wood;s Kool-aid before the re-play. I rugurgitated that Kool-aid post viewing.

I will be interested to see if he is more active in the remainder of pre-season.

I also wanted to mention that Jarvis Green is an animal.

It also doesn't help that this offensive line doesn't seem to be able to impose its will upon opponents until the opponents have worn themselves out trying to get to Brady for 3 quarters. It would be nice to see this team just come out and pummel opponents into submission on a more regular basis.
Yep, but Dante has built an athletic O-line that can get upfield on screen plays or pull and run in a game of movement. He likes range beef, not those big feedlot steers that teams like Pittsburgh, Dallas, and San Diego favor.

Since I am convalescing, I had a chance to watch it again.

I drank the Wood;s Kool-aid before the re-play. I rugurgitated that Kool-aid post viewing.

I will be interested to see if he is more active in the remainder of pre-season.

I also wanted to mention that Jarvis Green is an animal.
Funny, I've read more attacks on Jarvis then praise, though I thought he looked like his usual bad-ass self.

Last edited:

Yep, but Dante has built an athletic O-line that can get upfield on screen plays or pull and run in a game of movement. He likes range beef, not those big feedlot steers that teams like Pittsburgh, Dallas, and San Diego favor.

With Peters and Max "Fatty" Jean-Gilles, you could throw the Eagles in with that lot.

Funny, I've read more attacks on Jarvis then praise, though I thought he looked like his usual bad-ass self.

Is Jarvis a bad-ass? I confess I don't really pay that much attention to him, but for what we pay, he seems like an underperformer. If I'm misinformed, I'd love to know about it.

Whoa! That's commitment. Thanks. Particularly glad for the englightenment on Maroney. Confirms what others have said...

FWIW, I thought Woods was solid if unspectacular. I think he could be a good rotational guy... just one of those players who isn't flashy but doesn't make a lot of mistakes, like James Sanders. PP, it's difficult not to come away under the impression that you just have it out for the guy, just as many posters on this forum do for Maroney.

That said, after having watched the game again, I was quite impressed with Sanders' play. Seems like a very solid tackler, had a nice dragdown of Shady McCoy. The type of guy you'd want as your last line of defense.

Last edited:

Oh, I understand. I would just like to see it happen so that the Maroney bashing could take a week off. As we've seen from what happened during the 2007 playoff run, success by Maroney doesn't get these people to stop with the nonsense, it just causes them to crawl into the weeds waiting for another chance to pounce.

Is Jarvis a bad-ass? I confess I don't really pay that much attention to him, but for what we pay, he seems like an underperformer. If I'm misinformed, I'd love to know about it.
He's pretty consistently about 85-90% of what Sey does. In 2006 when Sey was playing with his left arm in a brace after Rodney rolled up on his elbow, Jarvis would often fill-in and play stronger on that edge - he just needs more breaks than Sey would because he has to exert himself more to match.

You figure a role player for NE who racked up 7.5 and 6.5 sacks in back to back AFCCG/SB seasons before being injured and struggling last season - I expect him to bounce back. He's not as tall, not as strong, but he's quicker. Miguel figures he earned about $2.3M in various escalators at the beginning of this football season, it makes for a bigger cap hit, but he's here so BB & Co. feel they're getting the investment return they wanted.

Oh, I understand. I would just like to see it happen so that the Maroney bashing could take a week off. As we've seen from what happened during the 2007 playoff run, success by Maroney doesn't get these people to stop with the nonsense, it just causes them to crawl into the weeds waiting for another chance to pounce.
Where else would the rodents hide?

He's pretty consistently about 85-90% of what Sey does. In 2006 when Sey was playing with his left arm in a brace after Rodney rolled up on his elbow, Jarvis would often fill-in and play stronger on that edge - he just needs more breaks than Sey would because he has to exert himself more to match.

You figure a role player for NE who racked up 7.5 and 6.5 sacks in back to back AFCCG/SB seasons before being injured and struggling last season - I expect him to bounce back. He's not as tall, not as strong, but he's quicker. Miguel figures he earned about $2.3M in various escalators at the beginning of this football season, it makes for a bigger cap hit, but he's here so BB & Co. feel they're getting the investment return they wanted.

Ah, fair enough. Guess I've been a bit too hard on him.

Yep, he's wearing #39, it's a dead giveaway that a "tight" player is in the backfield and will be lugging the rock shortly - for whatever reason, last season, the play calling rarely involved Maroney in the passing game. This game was similar, when LoMo is in the game the defense keys on the run and aggressive defenses like Philly start run blitzing. I've speculated that it may be a long term playcalling strategy to set defenses up for the run then start hitting Maroney out of the backfield in the passing game, either that or Josh was collaberating with maverick4 to be no smarter than, well, a box of rocks. It's not Maroney that I can see, it's higher up the food chain. If you watched how many times Morris got stuffed in the backfield out of running formations vs. the big holes he got out of passing formations... :confused2:

Wearing #39 isn't very subtle imho. :bricks:

Wearing #39 isn't very subtle imho. :bricks:
And it's a dead give-away everytime - what can I say, it's the fashion. :confused2:

I thought he provided some of the more consistant pass pressure of the game.

But what do I know?:p

I thought he provided some of the more consistant pass pressure of the game.

But what do I know?:p
Well, I give you this one this time... :D

On Maroney, do you guys think that the Pats run 90% of the time when he's on the field because he's not very good as a pass catcher or blitz pickup or both? There has to be some reason why BB would not notice such a one sided trend and not try to mix it up to keep defenses off balanced.

It would be scary to see Maroney in the open field. I think he'd be outstanding.

That was his initial assessment , he rewatched it and reconsidered.

AWTE or PushinPencils? I think I jotted down 3 plays in specific where Woods looked more interested in checking out the Eagles cheerleaders (not that I'm complaining, but they were abnormally prevalent in the DVR) than trying to engage a blocker.

game breakdowns by a poster there named AllWorldTE. While Maroney does, occasionally dance (ALL RBs do), more often than not, the holes that are supposed to be there for him, aren't.

When Maroney is on the field, almost exclusively on 1st and 2nd down, the defenses read RUN because, that's what the Pats do. 90% of the time its a Maroney run. The other 10% its a play-action pass. When Faulk is on the field, its almost exclusively on 3rd downs, and the defense is playing pass. This allows Faulk to tear them up with the draw play.

Yet another example of predictable play calling in our former offense. It's common sense that if you often use a player the same way, that it makes it harder for that player or the unit to execute. An opposing team will pick up on tendencies from tape analysis and key in on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes