PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Power Ranking the remaining QBs and Defenses...

If talib, mccourty, and dennard all can stay relatively healthy and ninko/ CJ play well I think we are in excellent position. If Tom can get enough time, he will pick apart any defense, and give a heavy dose of Blount/ Ridley I like our odds.

We will not face a good defense (really nothing close to one) for at least 27 more days. Go Saints!!!!

I almost think Manning should be in the bottom half of the list.
As a playoff QB he is 4-8 in one and done games. I'd be more worried facing Wilson, Kaepernick, Brees, and possibly Luck, although Manning is a better regular season QB and would probably put up better stats while losing.

THIS from someone who puts Manning as the #1 QB in the playoffs? I know what you based it upon, but WHEN has Manning EVER succeeded with the best talent in the post-season? You have watched him in the post-season over the past decade haven't you? How many MVP's has Manning squandered with an EARLY exit from the playoffs? MANY of those years, ANY exit from the playoffs was considered early by the talking heads. How anyone would put Manning #1 QB in the playoffs is beyond me. Even his SB post-season consisted of 3TD's and 7INT's - for the entire post-season. Sanders should have been MVP that year.

Who can possibly do more damage, today, Brady or Manning? It's a Power ranking right?

Who would I choose? Brady any day of the week, if the criteria is only the skill set of any qb.

But the truth is that the Broncos can put 30 points on the board without sweat and this is not the Pats reality today.

Anyway I want Manning to fail miserably again.

I am off on a snow day and I am bored - so here goes:

I understand all the hype and slurping of Peyton Manning TO A POINT. He is intelligent and has an incredible football mind and there is no denying his talent. I get it, I think everyone gets it. I do not hate the guy, I do not begrudge him any of the glory flung upon him.

What truly bothers me is why is he so glorified and Brady so minimized? After all, Tom Brady could be called the Peyton Manning of the post-season. It seems the only time Brady is worthy of Manning is when there is no justification for Manning to be MVP. I mentioned earlier or elsewhere that Manning has squandered MANY League MVP awards with a one-and-done in the playoffs. I know Tom has had his as well, but never as consistently as Manning.

It is beyond me as to why Manning's post-season achievements are so lightly glossed over. Year-after-year, HUGE expectations for the Lombardi. Year-after-year, UTTER disappointment. Often times, directly because of his play no matter what he told the media. He often lands high in polls like this one - WHAT has he done to justify it? Unfortunately for Pats fans, his biggest post-season accomplishment is coming from behind against the Pats in the AFCCG. I can live with it now (took me a WHILE) - great Manning moment - but at least we did not lose that game (or any SB) b/c of Brady.

Brady has had his stinkers in the post-season, but it was usually the exception. With Manning, it is the norm. He may win it all this year, but it will NOT come without some HIGHLY controversial calls. The Pats could be victims. I digress.

I guess whenever I discuss Manning (or Manning v. Brady) in person or in writing, I come across as hating Peyton. I don't. He is probably a good guy in person, and unfortunately, I believe the opposite of Brady. I think Tom would be an arrogant jerk. I have nothing to base that upon other than the way he comes across to me. I do not know if Tom is an arrogant jerk with the media, it's a BB thing with the media, or Tom is a registered Republican. Whatever it is, they have little problem with their blatant favoritism at worst, bias at best. I know a few talk about Manning's shortcomings and Brady's greatness, but it is seldom a balanced conversation on the national stage.

It bothers me less and less as time goes on and I am witnessing the end of both their careers. I wish their rivalry was more like Magic and Bird, but when they faced each other on the BIG stage (playoffs - I will not count any regular season games) Brady really dominated and it was not even close. One day, I hope, even the talking heads will admit it (I know they already realize it).

It has been a pleasure watching Brady and Manning, but it has only been enhanced, for me, by Brady's sheer dominance of Manning no matter time of year. Although Brady did not win them all against Manning, he won them all with LESS talent than Manning had (on the O side) and OFTEN Brady was the underdog. I remember hearing the Red Sox / Yankees rivalry described as a hammer and a nail. Brady and Manning may not be at that level, but has been darn close.

Sorry for the rant, but it felt good.

Who can possibly do more damage, today, Brady or Manning? It's a Power ranking right?

Who would I choose? Brady any day of the week, if the criteria is only the skill set of any qb.

But the truth is that the Broncos can put 30 points on the board without sweat and this is not the Pats reality today.

This is not any day of the week - this is PLAYOFF football - now ask yourself your OWN question - Who can do more damage? I agree it is CLOSE, but one's damage is positive and the other's is negative.

I was not trying to go after your loyalty or attack you personally - I think my earlier post will help explain.

Patriots scored more points in the second half of the season than the Broncos.
Each put 30 on the board 5 times in those 8 games, with or without sweat.

Add in Manning career long habit of taking the pipe in the playoffs, and you see the reasons why everyone disagrees with you.

1) Brady
2) Manning
3) Brees
4) Luck
5) Wilson
6) Wilson
7) Newton
8) Kaepernick

Yet another thread turns into a Brady vs. Manning debate. Big surprise.

No - you did not read - although I do not blame you it is long. If I did invoke the Brady v. Manning debate - it was by media coverage - not stats for the most part.

On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with believing a #2 ranking for Manning is high given his post-season record and performances. It has nothing to do with Brady v Manning. Peyton's "veteran" status seems to serve him little in big games. I understand anyone disagreeing with me, but if I had to have any of the QB's listed (removing Tom Brady) I still will NOT choose Manning.

That is what I meant to get across and I had no intention of going down the road of Brady v Manning - it is old, tired, and fruitless.

Minor tweaks when it comes to mine. I'm also assuming Dennard, Talib, and McCourty are all healthy.

Quarterbacks:
1. Brady
2. Manning
3. Brees
4. Luck
5. Rivers
6. Wilson
7. Newton
8. Kaepernick

Defenses:
1. Seahawks
2. Panthers
3. 49ers
4. Patriots
5. Chargers
6. Saints
7. Broncos
8. Colts

twice in one day: i agree fully with both of these lists.....the only thing i MIGHT change is rivers over luck.....just on leadership and intangibles alone.....the change in offenses was very good for him.....given different coaches/systems, i think we'd be looking at rivers far differently right now

kapernick, to me, is the most overrated QB left in the playoffs.....he makes some great plays, especially with his legs.....bet if you can keep him in the pocket and force him to be an actual QB, he struggles (compared to the others)

Kaepernick's playoff record is 3-1 with his only loss being the superbowl.

You can talk about how good rivers and luck are, but neither one has led a team to the big dance.

SF is 3-1 with Kap at QB in the playoffs

wins aren't a QB stat

Not really. It is playoffs rankings. Do you know what your QB has done in the playoffs. He could be a lot lower than #2 on the list and it is supported with facts.

Not really. It is playoffs rankings. Do you know what your QB has done in the playoffs. He could be a lot lower than #2 on the list and it is supported with facts.
Ok going by facts Manning has a better qb rating then Brady in the playoff's. So Brady should be ranked lower then Manning no matter what? QB rating is prolly the best way in determining a qb's performance. Anything else is just opinion. There are to many variables to consider wins and losses in this comparison. This is a team sport and defense is usually what wins championships. I do not see Denver going all the way this year. U can't rely on your offense to put up 35+ points every game.

A lot lower? Which couple of quarterbacks deserve to knock him down to a lot lower? For all of mannings poor play...he has still put up some amazing playoff wins in his career...and at least been to the big dance twice.

Maybe an argument for brees? But I feel like he only gets to the playoffs every other year. Rivers? Some solid games...and some bad games too, notably the patriots. If you knock manning for bad games against the pats..you have to be consistent.

Otherwise, Newton has zero playoff games. Russell and luck have one win a piece. And kaepenick has a good run that still resulted in a loss in the Super Bowl...and I'd Argue of all he teams losing to the ravens last year..manning had the "best" loss..since he had more touchdowns than brady, kaepenick, and luck combined.

So could he really be a lot lower? Or are we slightly overreaching here?

Kaepernick is not better than Luck or Rivers. His last drive was a "work of art"? He threw an INT that was dropped, and benefited from a terrible GB defense that messed up several more times. He's average at best, and is above average at running it. He has an extremely talented team around him. Their backup QB McCoy could win 8-10 games with them.

Eli threw an int that was dropped by asante Samuel and that drive was a work of art

1. Brady
2. Brees
3. Rivers
4. Manning
5. Kaepernick
6. Luck
7. Wilson
8. Newton

1. Seattle
2. SF
3. Car
4. NE
5. NO
6. SD
7. DEN
8. IND

Nice to see the power rankings. I'll just say these are 8 really talented teams left in the playoffs.

SF is 3-1 with Kap at QB in the playoffs

wins aren't a QB stat

if thats the case then obviously we should lower brady a bit right? I mean if playoff record doesnt matter and we are just going of Fantasy football stats, then it should be manning, brees, rivers, newton, luck, maybe brady, etc.

Here i was thinking leading your team to victory was important.

QBs

1. Brady
2. Manning
3. Brees
4. Luck
5. Wilson
6. Rivers
7. Kaepernick
8. Newton

Defenses

1. Seahawks
2. 49ers
3. Panthers
4. Saints
5. Patriots
6. Chargers
7. Colts
8. Broncos

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back