Welcome to PatsFans.com

Powell: "I tried to avoid this..."

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Jul 9, 2007.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

I tried to avoid this war.’

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell revealed that he spent 2.5 hours “vainly trying to persuade President George W. Bush not to invade Iraq and believes today’s conflict cannot be resolved by U.S. forces. ‘I tried to avoid this war,’ Powell said at the Aspen Ideas Festival in Colorado. ‘I took him through the consequences of going into an Arab country and becoming the occupiers.’” In terms of the current situation in Iraq, Powell said: “It is not a civil war that can be put down or solved by the armed forces of the United States.”

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +831 / 27 / -33

A warrior, and a very knowledgeable man speaks.. his comments will be minimized and there will be a bunch of stuff thrown at him regarding his credibility. His words will be minimized... unfortunately, our commander in chief did not listen.

3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

WOW! What a PATRIOT!
    Powell should have resigned before his dog-and-pony show at the UN and all his other TV speeches aimed at influencing the People to back the invasion. He would have resigned if he had any guts at the time. It's easy for him now to say these things, but it would have been much more useful before the authorization vote. Sorry Colon, you're about 5 1/2 years too late, especially for the dead Iraqis and Americans and their families. Not to mention the amputees, brain-injured, and the psychologically damaged. Good luck with the book tour you POS traitor.

4. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

It was well-known that he led the anti-war faction within the administration. There's something to be said for people who attempt to effect change from the inside.

5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,152 / 5 / -10

He quit because Bush wouldn't take his sh!t, say what you will about Bush and he has made plenty of mistakes but he doesn't let anybody tell him what to do if he doesn't want to do it.
    Powell wasn't used to being rejected or having people disagree with him that is, not until he met the Chimp.
    :bricks:

6. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Sorry...not good enough. I'm real hard-line on accountability, and those in positions of high authority have to be held to a higher standard of conduct. He was in the unique position to do something courageous, and he didn't because he was worried about himself. Any characterization of Powell being a "hero" or "patriot" is way out of line IMO. Doing what you're supposed to do but don't risk your own arse seems to be the new criteria for hero in today's politics.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
  7. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Sounds more like a 6 year-old child than the President of the United States.

8. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,152 / 5 / -10

He had a decision to make, the Democrats (Kerry/Kennedy/Hillary) said "Saddam had to go" Bush discussed it with Powell then he made his decision he went along with the Democrats and invaded, Powell acting like a 6 year old child stamped his little feet, picked up his ball and went home.

9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +831 / 27 / -33

But he forgot to tell them all the rules, because he had to make crap up as they went along.. this lie is not working, lets try this lie.. it is all BS pure and simple.

10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +918 / 7 / -3

I like Powell alot, and was hoping in 2004 that GW would can Cheney and replace him with Powell. Powell was more or less opposed to invading (key word for me) Iraq for many of the same reasons I was. However, he did go the UN and made the case, which will forever be an eye sore for many people. It's too bad cuz he's a very bright guy, who seems extremely credible whenever I've seen him do an interview. He's explains everything without holding back.

11. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0

I actually gotta agree with wistah on this one. This rings hollows. If he felt this way, he had no business making that impassioned plea in front of the UN that convinced many Americans (myself included I will admit), as well as many in the International community, that the invasion was a worthy effort. Now, many of us that did are left in the unenviable "pottery barn" position of "You broke it, you own it."

He had build an enormous amount of credibility to that point and to come forward now is disappointing on so many levels.

12. NYCPatsFan

NYCPatsFan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +40 / 2 / -0

No Jersey Selected

Well said, quite agree.

Where was all this doubt and grave concern when he made the presentation to the whole world on why we should invade Iraq?

13. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

actually, Powell insisted that much of what weasel-d!ck Scooter Libby had written for him for that U.N. speech be thrown out... he and Tenet were up all night before the speech, flabbergasted by the material thrust upon them... they tossed Atta in Prague, among many other things... Curveball got in, but Powell was NEVER told the "Iraqi official' was a complete fraud, nor that Sheik al Libbi was tortured in Egypt ...

it's all right here, just scroll forward to the 2:50 mark and enjoy...

it is well-known that Dick Cheney never trusted Powell, nor Tenet, and routinely issued vague threats for them to get on board in the build-up to raping Iraq...

"at the end of the day, Colin Powell is a team player... he wasn't going to walk away from the administration on the eve of going to war.... which would be abandoning his commander in chief, as well as the troops, many of whom he still knew... " -- Robin Wright, Washington Post

14. Patriot_in_NY

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0

For the sake of constructive dialog, I won't even argue those points. I agree on a broad basis, and CP was totally out of the loop. With all that said, It does not change the way I feel, in fact, it pisses me off more.

If he truly felt that way, then HE in particular, and Tenet too, are in the wrong business. They should have been actors. You'd NEVER have known of those reservations from from that speech, and his overall demeanor looking back.

I'm entitled to that opinion.

15. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +918 / 7 / -3

16. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +481 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

RW,Did you do the graphics youself,love the visual "slam dunk" on Iraq. At least thats what I think it is.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  17. NYCPatsFan

NYCPatsFan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +40 / 2 / -0

No Jersey Selected

Did this team player think about the casualities of going to war against a country that did not attack us in the first place? In addition to the possibility of many American soliders losing their lives, did this team player think about many innocent Iraqi men, women and children losing their lives?

I guess this team player convinced himself that "collateral damage" can always be used to explain this unnecessary destruction and misery caused by war. So, instead of abstaining to be part of the foolish and deadly moves based on flimsy evidence, this team player decided to join the team in pushing its objectives. Why then go against the team now and then point fingers at their mistakes when he was very much part of the team?

18. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,152 / 5 / -10

Exactly, you speak much better than I do.
    :bricks:

19. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

you're railing against the words a journalist used to describe his involvement, not his own words...

regardless, Colin Powell could have done much more, in the face of extreme pressure... however, among a slimey group of liars, he did the most to advise against this disaster... it's not even close.... Powell's shouting matches with Tenet, and even a few terse moments with the Dark Lord himself, are already legendary... The fact that he resigned in disgust of the Bush Doctrine garners some levels of forgiveness...

still, his silence up until now is even more egregious than his U.N. speech -- a speech he was 1) forced to give, 2) fought tooth and claw to screen, and 3) left out everything he knew at the time was bogus.... he still had major misgivings about other aspects of the speech, to the point of insisting Tenet be right behind him in camera view for it...

Powell has more dirt on the administration than anyone... and if he truly wants to make amends, he'll reveal all in his book due next spring...

20. Patriot_in_NY

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0

Just so I get right, are you saying that because he's the least slimy in this "slimy group of liars" and privately disagreed and argued with Bush&Co, you give him somewhat of a pass (or at least are willing to be a his apologist to an extent?). Wow, I must say I find that surprising.

No matter what happened behind the scenes between him and the "dark lord", that slimy fukc stood up in front of the world and PASSIONATLY (at least outwardly) made the case for war for Bush. Worse that he knew that his esteem and limitless dignity and respect he'd earned to that point would carry great weight among the people of this country and the world in general. I know I was certainly duped by him. Yet, it’s supposed to sit wel with me, cuz inwardly he disagreed with rest of them and told them PRIVATELY? I don't buy it.

If, as you like to say, Bush is the dark lord, then Powell was the dark lord's b*tch, and to tell you the truth, that turns my stomach more. Give him a pass if you want, I'm not quite as forgiving I guess.

Needless to say, we broke it, we own it.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007