Welcome to PatsFans.com

Poverty rate hits 18 year high

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Wolfpack, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Wait wait let me guess. This isn't Obama's fault, right?

Step aside Jimmy Carter: There's a new worst-president-ever comin' through.

Bottom Line - Poverty rate hits 18-year high as median income falls

The number of Americans who have fallen into poverty rose to 15.1 percent in 2010, the highest level in nearly two decades, the Census Bureau said Tuesday in a report.

The report, which showed the poverty rate rose for a third straight year as the economy struggles with a stumbling recovery and persistent high joblessness, said the number of poor Americans in 2010 was the largest in the 52 years that it has been publishing poverty estimates, according to Reuters.

There were 46.2 million people in poverty in 2010, up from 43.6 million in 2009 ─ the fourth consecutive annual increase in the figure.

2. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

As I said during the election, this is the Republicans' dream -- being able to pin all the problems Bush created on a Democratic successor.

No surprises there.

Let the blind partisans pretend it's all Obama's fault.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

I don't recall that calim do you have a link for that?

Oh wait you weren't on the board until 2010 so this is a claim that can't be verify. I call BS.

4. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

#18 Jersey

Poverty rates always increase during recessions and depressions...and we're still not sure which one we're in. I'd bet the poverty rate increased significantly during the Great Depression.

I've only hated one POTUS in my entire life (Richard Nixon) and that's still the case. President Obama hasn't done anything yet where I could have a valid reason to hate him. I may get frustrated and angry over some things, but that should be expected.

I'll also add that I've never LOVED a POTUS in my lifetime either. I love the little memory I have of JFK, but those were nostalgic times.

I liked Clinton very much...

5. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Reminds me of last night's debate, Perry(who's gone on record advocating scrapping SS) told Romney(who hasn't) to 'stop scaring seniors' and got a round of applause out of it.

6. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So... if everything goes wrong under Obama, then we can't possibly blame him. But if everything goes right under the next guy, then we can't possibly credit him. You say there's an inherent lag? Therefore, all Clinton's success was really GHWB?

7. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Let the record show that I don't hate the guy one bit. I think he seems like a warm, caring individual and a devoted family man who loves his wife and daughters very much.

But I'm a warm family man as well and that don't make me qualified to be President of the United States of America. Obama's policies are killing the country. He's nothing more than a community organizer who got in so far over his head that now he has no clue what to do.

And the rest of us have to suffer for his incompetence.

8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

I don't think this is Obama's fault, but aren't you basically blaming everything that's gone wrong on Bush, while chiding "blind partisans"?

I've never hated a potus, nor loved one in some special way. Some were better than others, and each had different qualities you liked or disliked.

9. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

You can claim whatever you want, 13.

Of course, a reasonable human might ask what I would have to gain out of such a "claim," but I recognize that you view everything through a partisan prism that has robbed you of any ability to reason that you may have once had.

10. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

I didn't say any of that. See, unlike you, everything isn't D versus R to me.

I think much of the economy is neither President's fault, some of it is Bush's fault and some of it is Obama's fault.

11. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

No -- I don't blame the current economy on Bush. But I think that to the extent that it is Bush's fault, folks like 13 and wolfie are jumping to pin it on Obama -- and that was entirely foreseeable.

12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

A lot of pundits wondered whether or not it was advantageous to win the 2008 election from a party POV, or punt the ball, and play for field position in 2012. Ultimately that depends on what the person that wins does. As we saw last night, sometimes being pinned inside your own 1, isn't such a bad thing.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  13. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

Link where I said it was all Obama's fault. You are misrepresenting what I have said. I have said that Obama's policies have made things worse, I have said that Bush and the pubs had spent too much, I have said that Pelosi and Reid accelerated the spending, and that Bush didn't use his veto when he should have, I did say that Bush should have been more aggressive about the warnings that the CRA was causing problems and opposed B Frank when he said there were no problems.

Please don't reference what I have supposedly said about anything without using a link, since you misrepresent what I have said on a regular basis, focus on making your opinion known rather than putting words in the mouths of others.

14. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

Sure I do, 13. :rolleyes:

Unlike you, though, I'll gladly admit that I was wrong here and you are not blaming it entirely on Obama.

15. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

Thank You.