Welcome to PatsFans.com

Pouring Gasoline on the Coulter Fire Long article

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Jun 11, 2006.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +123 / 7 / -13

I came across this take on the Coulter flap on a conservative blog. The author expains her position fat better than I could. I would welcome any comments. Ironically the reaction to the challenging the Jersey Girls illustrates exactly the point she is making. I am sure she is laughing her a** off about that.

2. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +123 / 7 / -13

Link to the rest of the article:http://biglizards.net/blog/archives/2006/06/defending_ann.html

BTW I fond the 'widows response to be so cold and caculating, it doesn't sound like greiving windows as much as a press release writting by a political operative.

To sum up the left and this widows want to: 'have their cake and eat it' as my mom used to say. BTW the widows were activists BEFORE 9-11.

I also think the reason there has been such a hysterical reaction to Coulters remarks is that they HIT A NERVE.

As Shakespeare wrote (Henry V IIRC) 'me thinsk thou doth protest too much.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2005
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +332 / 1 / -9

The "Jersey Girls" have been going all over the country for the past several years spewing their "Hatred" for GW Bush, they are typical Sore Losing Far Left Radicals (Using A Tradgedy)
    Nobody dared talk back to them or even knew how to disagree with them because in doing so they knew the "Left Wing Element" would be all over them trying to crucify and destroy them with the "Sympathy Factor".

Actually the Far Left Liberal Sore Losers LOVE what is now going on, this is their chance to yell "see Coulter is a cruel b1tch" but have you noticed it is backfiring on them, Coulter might have chosen her words a little differently but her VIEW WAS RIGHT ON THE MARK.

Did these widows think they could go on forever preaching their hatred without someone finally FIGHTING BACK.

The widows have tried many times to enlist the aid of other widows and relatives of the 9/11 victims and have always failed.

The Jersey girls have made Big Money doing their thing, the Widows should be sitting out in front of a Mosque somewhere asking it's leaders to SPEAK UP.
    The ARAB MUSLIMS that attacked America on 9/11 made their plans freely right here in America all through the nineties, have the Widows ever attacked Billy Blue Dress as to why he didn't try to prevent it?

Say what you will and many of you will say plenty but Coulter had THE BALLS to take them on.
  4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +163 / 4 / -4

The neocons are the first to say that any criticism of the war is an attack on the troops, and now they post this crap? The hypocrisy of the neocons would be more infuriating, if they had some consciousness of their own hypocrisy.

patsfan13, as an aside, please try to post no more than 4 paragraphs of an article, plus the link. That's the rule we follow to help prevent patsfan.com from being accused of copyright infringement.
  5. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Never heard of the jersey girls harry, untill one of the extreme leaders of your congregation informed the public, to sell a book...
  6. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +332 / 1 / -9

7. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +123 / 7 / -13

Great point, the Jersey Girls presented themselves as 'victims', representating the views of ALL the 9-11 families victims. I certainly saw their Kerry endorsement ads here in the NY market (i live in NJ).

I agree that Coulter's aim is to promote a book, which covers many issues besides the Jersey Girls.
    The contention of Coulter, supported by the author is that the 'victim' game is a staple of the left's strategy. An approach to allow un challenged debate?

What is your opinion of this political tactic, is it valid?
    Is it valid for the other side to point it out and critize it?
  8. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

To me it's extemism like a micheal moore film who I would'nt defend because of extremism.... Best for me to walk away from this discussion for I have nothing to add, my apologies.
  9. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +123 / 7 / -13

Since this is a blog and not a commercial site and since the source is linked, I fel that would be fair use. In other citing commercial sources, I would only link a paragraph and provide a link. I certainly wouldn't want the cause trouble for the people who run this board.

I have never said that a criticism of the war per se is an attack on the troops. In some cases it could be (the rush to judgement in Haidhta bing an example), if the actions are condemned without a hearing, by people in power (congressmen for example) it could porvide a propaganda tool for our enemies, to attempt to incite hostility against our troops by the local population. To the degree this increases the danger to our troops it is wrong.

I don't recall any cases where the pubbies or conservatives, have plaed the 'patriotism card'. What I have heard is pro war response on policy grounds and criticism of anto war policies, characterized as 'questioning our patriotism' by the left.

If you have an example of a public figure on the right saying that a anti war pol wasn't patriotic for criticizing the war please provide the quote and hopefully a link.

I would not that Coulter and the blogger provide specific examples of the victim game as being used as a political tatic. Frankly I think the left and dems are far better at hardball politics than the conservatives.

However since the emergence of the internet which si removing the bug media monoply, the left has been freaking out, they haven't been used to being challenged directly, since the tradtiional mainstream media (CBS,NBC, ABC, PBS, NYT, WA Po, LA t & the Bos Gl) have a similar worldview to theirs.

I would point oit that polls of 'journalist in this country show they have voted roughly 90-10% for dems in the presidental elections over the past 20 years.
  10. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +123 / 7 / -13

Welll he author cited specific examples of the use of the tactic they describe. Are they accurate, if not why not?

If they are being extreme as you say M Moore, you could point this out.
  11. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +332 / 1 / -9

I too have nothing to add to this discussion, my apologies are also added.
  12. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

13. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +123 / 7 / -13

IMO opinion there are the reason you are annoyed, first this is a favorite debating tatic of your, I would refer you to your post:

If any of you have not lost a son, or daughter. in Iraq....

Further your're doing exactly the same thing in this post, BTW when you say no one can have an opinion contrary to yours UNLESS they have lost a family member, blah, blah, blah.

As to your last point, no I have not had family members who died on 9-11. The company I worked for at the time had offices in Manhatten and NJ, 2 of my coworkers were setting up for a seminar at Windown on the World, which is a restaurant that was located in the South Tower at the top of the building. They were never heard from again. I attended their servies, there were not bodies recovered.

I have a neigbhor who lives on my street who was a Port Authority cop, a LT. He was on duty the morning of 9-11, he was going to go down to the WTC with another office, the guy told him to stay at the PA and he would call him later, the other officer doed when the bldgs collapsed. The guy has struggled with guilt over this, also problems with depression from the emotional drain from attending a couple of hundred funerals of other cops and firefighters. So I am aware of the personal greif of people directly involved in 9-11.

I do see here in NJ that when the Jersey Girls were getting their 15 minutes of fame and claiming that they represented all the 9-11 families, other 9-11 families resented that assertation. Those families why their support of the campaign in Iraq were ignored by the media.

No, I won't provide theoir names. they don't want their pain publicized.

I have also lost good friends in combat during Viet Nam, I wouldn't dream of telling any of the anti war people on this board that their opinions weren't valid , unless they sreved in the armed forces/ lost a friend in combat.
  14. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +123 / 7 / -13

The contention is that the designated victims VIEWS ON THE ISSUE can't be challenged/refuted. or it is construed as a personal attack. What Coulter does is point the intellutical dishonesty of this approach to politics.

Now Coulter has been mischaracterized as attacking all 9-11 families when she was refering to s small froup of political activist who used their personel tragedies as a political platform.

You've said nothing that contradicts that assertation except say that Coulter is mean as far as I can tell. Maybe she is mean, but it doesn't necessarily follow that her point isn't valid/true.

BTW I'm not outraged by the atacks on Coulter. Politics ain't beanbag, if you go into the ring expect to get hit, she's a big girl and can handle herself.

I do find the whining of the left funny though.
  15. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

you keep dodging the issue about personal attacks by Coulter, so you obviously either do not understand them and the difference between political free speech and slander and libel or have no answer and just wish to keep your head in the sand and talk about other things unrelated. I hope ALL Republicans running do the same..they will be trounced in the November elections.
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2006
  16. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +123 / 7 / -13

She accuseed them of using their victim status to enrich themselves and gain attention. If true that isn't an attack, if false it is an attack. In fact if these women husbands hadn't died at the WTC would they have been doing ad for Kerry or appearing before committe's or being interviewed by the media, the answer is NO.

If they want to engage in the political arena, they don't get a pass on their motivation. After all these women were liberial activist before 9-11, it just that the attack gave them a platform, much like Berg Sr.
  17. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

IMO, she's still a skank...even if she never said anything...but that's just my opinion.
  18. Mainefan

Mainefan Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I think Ann Coulter's language waives her right to anything remotely resembling respect. I feel exactly the same way about those who defend her. She is missing an essential piece of humanity.

I watched, with my own eyes, as she slandered ALL (not four) of the 911 widows. I didn't even know there were four political activitists with whom she disagreed until long after her Today Show appearance. She made no reference to these individuals.

But what I find most revealing about Ann Coulter is her statement, "I am not a big fan of the First Amendment." To me, the First Amendment is the nucleus of democracy and of America. Her stated contempt for it is nothing less than contempt for the very idea of America.

I have not encountered in public or private many people I believe deserve to be described as despicable, but in her case, there is no doubt. My judgment of her has nothing whatever to do with her politics. John Tierney's column in the Times the other day repeats her views, but he writes as a decent human being, not a soulless harridan. Even though I disagree with him, I also respect him.

Defend Ann Coulter if you want, Republicans, or Conservatives, or Neo-Cons. But you reveal your character as you do. Personally, I cannot find anything admirable in those who admire her. She does nothing to make the world better. Her words only express and provoke hatred.
  19. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +82 / 5 / -9

#37 Jersey

Sorry not everyone lives in John Kerry or Barney Franks voting state/district like you seem to think.
  20. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I hope you see the country as simple as that..I don't nor do I think it is true. I hope Republicans running for Congress ALL over the country hold up Colter's book and keep repeating the same crapola that Coulter has. Guess what?? Middle America doesn't but the personal attacks of Coulter..won't play there...sorry.
    I think they know it won't and will not, of course; they want to win. If they do, they will be swept away quickly.