PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Potential Reclamation Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Belichick loves to find players that have failed elsewhere and rebuild them, we saw that with Ayers this season, and players such as Blount, Talib… in years past. This offseason I see these players as interesting prospects.

Blaine Gabbert, QB
Christian Ponder, QB
Trent Richardson, RB
Hakeem Nicks, WR
Rob Housler, TE
Gabe Carimi, OL
Michael Oher, OL
Ben Ijalana, OL
Da'Quan Bowers, DL
Adrian Clayborn, DL
Colin McCarthy, LB
Morris Claiborne, DB
Kenny Vaccaro, DB

Feel free to add any names you feel would also fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will all of these players be available via free-agency or are you assuming that some can be had for next to nothing via a trade?

My fantasy is Josh Gordon lol. But realistically somebody like nicks seems like a new environment and level of accountability would do him wonders.

Terrence Cody. BB loves him some fatties. Maybe he'll get his arse in shape like Rolando McClain and make something out of himself.

Remember when nicks was one of the best receivers in the nfl like 4-5 years ago? Wth happened?

If give him a try, I don't know much about the rest

Remember when nicks was one of the best receivers in the nfl like 4-5 years ago? Wth happened?

If give him a try, I don't know much about the rest

The giants used to target him a lot but once Cruz started showing promise he became their #2 receiver then he fell to their #3 then he was traded to the colts who played him as their #3 wr. If he isn't targeted by the qb he's not going to have numbers. The guy is 28 and he might want to prove himself to be a top shelf player.

Richardson is an enigma, truly. I mean, wtf? He's got everything, speed, size, direction...what is his problem?

Can he not follow a block? No vision?

I haven't watched him enough to know the specifics, but wow, what a bust.

Would Brian Orakpo be considered an reclamation project at this point?

Missed 14 games in 2012, 1 in 2013, 16 in 2014.

He's played 17 total games in the last 3 season, he might be looking for a "prove I can be healthy" type of deal.

Richardson is an enigma, truly. I mean, wtf? He's got everything, speed, size, direction...what is his problem?

Can he not follow a block? No vision?

I haven't watched him enough to know the specifics, but wow, what a bust.

He lacks that important organ called brain.

Would Brian Orakpo be considered an reclamation project at this point?

Missed 14 games in 2012, 1 in 2013, 16 in 2014.

He's played 17 total games in the last 3 season, he might be looking for a "prove I can be healthy" type of deal.

While I definitely get what you are saying, I don't think many would include a player with such talent as Orakpo as a "reclamation project." After all, he received the franchise tag this past year.

I think he's quite similar to a guy like Jerod Mayo, who is an enormous talent, but has had some bad injury breaks lately. That said, it may drive his price down a bit, and if that's the case I would LOVE the idea of Belichick jumping on it. I just think the price is still going to be way too high.

Terrence Cody. BB loves him some fatties. Maybe he'll get his arse in shape like Rolando McClain and make something out of himself.

I think the current animal abuse charges will turn many and maybe even most teams off from him, and that's not even bringing up the fact that his play hasn't been well at all. No one wants the next Michael Vick on their team, particularly if he isn't even all that good. Just my opinion though.

Belichick loves to find players that have failed elsewhere and rebuild them, we saw that with Ayers this season, and players such as Blount, Talib… in years past. This offseason I see these players as interesting prospects.

Blaine Gabbert, QB
Christian Ponder, QB
Trent Richardson, RB
Hakeem Nicks, WR
Rob Housler, TE
Gabe Carimi, OL
Michael Oher, OL
Ben Ijalana, OL
Da'Quan Bowers, DL
Adrian Clayborn, DL
Colin McCarthy, LB
Morris Claiborne, DB
Kenny Vaccaro, DB

Feel free to add any names you feel would also fit.

Neat idea for a thread.

Morris Claiborne was picked up for the 5th year option by the Cowboys though, so he shouldn't be on the list.

I'm not all that hot on anyone on the right to be honest, aside from maybe the 2 DL and the safety Vaccaro. I think they'd all be worth a shot.

Neat idea for a thread.

Morris Claiborne was picked up for the 5th year option by the Cowboys though, so he shouldn't be on the list.

I'm not all that hot on anyone on the right to be honest, aside from maybe the 2 DL and the safety Vaccaro. I think they'd all be worth a shot.
The options for 2012 picks have not been picked up yet. Jones implies they will pick it up but who knows with Jerry Jones.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...-year-but-dt-henry-melton-another-story.html/

Good thinking.

One thing is sure, if the Patriots re-sign or keep all of the "Big Five" (Revis, McCourty, Gostkowski, Mayo and Wilfork) there won't be much money available to bring in high-priced players.

And a second one is that the first message that Belichick will want to give his players is: the Super Bowl is in the past and this is a new team in a new year. So he'll want to freshen the personnel with hungry new players.

And it's true that BB often looks for veterans to do that -- particularly guys who have been less successful for one reason or another (injury, playing on badly coached teams, etc.)

That said, I think too many of the names you mention are guys who came out of college with big reputations, were taken high in the draft and have since bombed. I'd say that those are pretty much the least likely people for BB to take because the overwhelmingly probable reason that they didn't succeed, given how much opportunity they had, is lack of professionalism and commitment. For which Trent Richardson is the poster boy.

I was trying to think of examples of high draft picks whom BB brought in as "projects". The two that came to mind were not successes at all: Johnathan Sullivan and David Terrell (Sullivan was a make-weight when they shipped out Bethel Johnson and I always thought that giving Terrell a shot was a bone thrown to Brady, his college QB). In fact, the only one who had been a very high draft pick whom I could remember as a success was Gerard Warren -- not a great player, but a good one and a very committed one.

Robert Gallery was brought in at the end of his career, too, but also failed to make it out of training camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes