PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Potential Patriot - Lions' Cliff Avril 43DE/34OLB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe this year BB pulls the trigger for DL and OLB finally with #27 & #31....

I hope and expect it every year for about 3 years now................

Sooner or later you JUST have to restock the cupboard, Bill!!!!

I would love either Williams or Avril on this team though....:cool:

there was a lot of people wanting Ray Edwards last year how did he look with out Jared Allen on the other side 3 sacks. there is no way the pats pay this guy the 10 million he's looking for

IMO the only big names the pats will look at in FA on DL is Carter and Anderson

I'd love to have him here, but I don't think he will fit the budget.

I think either DET re-ups him for big money, or someone else signs him for big money. Either way he's getting paid.

This guy was completely useless vs the Saints in the playoffs and he wants a big payday? I want something of what he is smoking.

Free agency is considered by the professionals a bigger risk than the draft.

Why is it a bigger risk, other than because 'the professionals' say so?

This guy was completely useless vs the Saints in the playoffs and he wants a big payday? I want something of what he is smoking.

One game is all anyone looks at when determining player value?

Avril is a great player but he has limited versatility and that makes him cost prohibitive. He's going to get a monster payday because of both his skill and position. I think Jacksonville is a far more likely landing spot than NE.

Williams on the other hand has the versatility we're looking for, just as much explosion, much more size, and his career will be far longer. His rhetoric also seems quite different and Patriots friendly...

“It’s really not that big of a deal to me. I was the first pick (in 2006), and I’ve already had everything I really wanted, so my biggest thing is to be in a good position, a good scheme, a good system and continuing my career. Hopefully, it works out."]

Avril's rookie contract is 3y - $1.6M.
Mario made 6y - $54M.

I think it is fair to say that the latter has "made his money" and wants to win while the former has not reached financial security. The rhetoric can sound pretty friendly when you have already made that kind of cash.

One game is all anyone looks at when determining player value?

Play off games are very important. That is the time when a player is supposed to give everything he's got.
When the Pats reach next year's playoffs and Avril performs like against Saints, Pats will be one and done.

Last edited:
Play off games are very important. That is the time when a player is supposed to give everything he's got.
When the Pats reach next year's playoffs and Avril performs like against Saints, Pats will be one and done.

No player in NFL history has played for any real length of time and been excellent in every game. As for the playoffs, go take a look at Montana's playoff career. He had a few stinkers in there, and he's often called the best ever.

No player in NFL history has played for any real length of time and been excellent in every game. As for the playoffs, go take a look at Montana's playoff career. He had a few stinkers in there, and he's often called the best ever.

He probably is called the best because he had plenty of excellent playoff games.
Avril's playoff performance certainly didnt improve his "player value", at least for the Pats. Pats are SB contenders, they need players who perform in the playoffs, not players who become completely invisible in the playoffs.

He probably is called the best because he had plenty of excellent playoff games.
Avril's playoff performance certainly didnt improve his "player value", at least for the Pats. Pats are SB contenders, they need players who perform in the playoffs, not players who become completely invisible in the playoffs.

Again.... one game.

As I said, Avril's numbers jumped when Suh arrived. However, he was in the 5 sack range in his two years prior to Suh's arrival. Teams will have to decide what Avril's worth, naturally, but the Lions think enough of him that it's looking as if he'll be franchised.

bidding-war-manhattan-real-estate-nyc.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back