PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Potential Patriot - Lions' Cliff Avril 43DE/34OLB

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaZX6R

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Cliff Avril 6'3 260 LBS.

DE for the Lions. Could play 34 OLB. He has dropped a couple of times in zone blitzes. Has had 12 PDs in 4 years (0,3,5,4)

“There’s no such thing as a hometown discount in the NFL,” Avril said, via the Detroit Free Press. “Once you can’t play anymore, they’re going to let you go, so you definitely have to strike gold when you can.”

Avril has said he doesn’t want to be franchised, but he still holds out hope that the Lions will show him the money on a long-term contract. If the Lions don’t do that, Avril suggested that other teams have already made their intentions clear.

“I kind of think the Lions will try to do the right thing, I guess,” he said. “A lot of teams don’t think the Lions will let me hit free agency. But a few teams have called.”
Lions’ Cliff Avril dismisses hometown discounts, hints at tampering | ProFootballTalk

Thoughts?

Cliff Avril 6'3 260 LBS.

DE for the Lions. Could play 34 OLB. He has dropped a couple of times in zone blitzes. Has had 12 PDs in 4 years (0,3,5,4)

Lions’ Cliff Avril dismisses hometown discounts, hints at tampering | ProFootballTalk

Thoughts?

I'm already on record as stating that this is a guy the Pats should at least pursue. Might he end up being too expensive? Sure, that's very possible. But he's a talented player that can really get after the QB. 8.5 sacks in 2010, and 11.0 sacks this past year. Will be 26 years old next season.

He's a very good player, but as he's said himself, he wants a big payday. I think he'd be good for our defense, given his production and flexibility, but he'll probably cost too much. Plus, if we are going to spend big, big bucks on that type of player, I'd rather go after Mario Williams.

He's a very good player, but as he's said himself, he wants a big payday. I think he'd be good for our defense, given his production and flexibility, but he'll probably cost too much. Plus, if we are going to spend big, big bucks on that type of player, I'd rather go after Mario Williams.

He said he won't give a homtown discount, that's not necessarily the same as expecting a huge payday. That said, it looks like Welker and Brees aren't looking to give a hometown discount either.

I'd give signing him serious consideration, he's productive and pretty young. If the money can work I'd rather take a chance on him, someone who's proven they can play at the NFL level, than a college guy who has yet to take a single snap in the NFL.

Last edited:
Sounds like he won't come cheap, but probably worth a look, at least, anyways. Hell of a player.

Might be a better value at his price point than Mario Williams.

Worth scoping it out, at the very least.

His numbers jumped when Suh arrived on the scene. Teams will have to decide how much of that is Avril's development, and how much is having Suh making things easy for him.

I'm not so sure about this guy. Being how obsessed he is with cashing in asap I think it's pretty obvious that even he knows he is benefitting statistically by being on a D Line with Suh, Williams, and Vanden Bosch.

I love these threads i am sure Four years ago many would say that Cliff Avril wouldn't fit our overrated system but as FA he does.:confused: That 2008 draft later on was Terrible for the Patriots after Jerod Mayo. Round 2 = Wheatley Round 3 = Shawn Crabel and QB Kevin O'Connell. Imagined if we had REACHED for Cliff Avril he would have been a Great pick over who we selected.

Cliff Avril he would have been a Great pick over who we selected.

Actually there was a lot of love for him in the draft forum that year. For the Patriots to go for a guy like this it's going to have to be a deal like Colvin signed in 2003 when he was the biggest LB FA. You'll get paid 95% of market value and have a chance to compete every year of your contract for a Super Bowl. You can have the best of both worlds. If you want to get every last nickle it's not going to happen. His comments sound Assantesque and I wish him luck next year as long as it's not with the Jets, Fins or a AFC power.

Actually there was a lot of love for him in the draft forum that year. For the Patriots to go for a guy like this it's going to have to be a deal like Colvin signed in 2003 when he was the biggest LB FA. You'll get paid 95% of market value and have a chance to compete every year of your contract for a Super Bowl. You can have the best of both worlds. If you want to get every last nickle it's not going to happen. His comments sound Assantesque and I wish him luck next year as long as it's not with the Jets, Fins or a AFC power.

I am all for Guys who Maximized their earning potential or outplay their original draft positions.

Avril is a great player but he has limited versatility and that makes him cost prohibitive. He's going to get a monster payday because of both his skill and position. I think Jacksonville is a far more likely landing spot than NE.

Williams on the other hand has the versatility we're looking for, just as much explosion, much more size, and his career will be far longer. His rhetoric also seems quite different and Patriots friendly...

“It’s really not that big of a deal to me. I was the first pick (in 2006), and I’ve already had everything I really wanted, so my biggest thing is to be in a good position, a good scheme, a good system and continuing my career. Hopefully, it works out."

Ultimate Texans » Mario Williams says top-dollar deal not his goal as he hopes to remain with Texans

I love these threads i am sure Four years ago many would say that Cliff Avril wouldn't fit our overrated system but as FA he does.:confused: That 2008 draft later on was Terrible for the Patriots after Jerod Mayo. Round 2 = Wheatley Round 3 = Shawn Crabel and QB Kevin O'Connell. Imagined if we had REACHED for Cliff Avril he would have been a Great pick over who we selected.

I don't get too involved in pre-draft stuff, since I don't watch enough college football to have an informed opinion, but FWIW there were a lot of people around here who liked him a lot and wanted the Pats to go after him.

He said he won't give a homtown discount, that's not necessarily the same as expecting a huge payday. That said, it looks like Welker and Brees aren't looking to give a hometown discount either.

I'd give signing him serious consideration, he's productive and pretty young. If the money can work I'd rather take a chance on him, someone who's proven they can play at the NFL level, than a college guy who has yet to take a single snap in the NFL.

Free agency is considered by the professionals a bigger risk than the draft.

So, I guess we are all in an agreement that we want Mario over Cliff right?

Free agency is considered by the professionals a bigger risk than the draft.

I definitely agree with this.

Outside of the QB position, I think you must build and maintain through the draft and fill holes and depth through pro free agency and UDFA.

There were a lot of Cliff Avril fans on the draft forum ready to scoop this guy up including myself. I'm all in on this one. As much as I like Williams I would certainly settle for a player like Avril. He'd be a fine veteran addition.

Very likely being franchised.

wait a minute...we want MARIO OVER A CLIFF??????????????????...wha????

what the hell did he do...rob Nintendo??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes