Welcome to PatsFans.com

Pot is called the biggest cash crop...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Dec 18, 2006.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

For all you folks in the NE kingdom and in the Western Maine Mountains, watch out for the revenuers.. the US gov't has just found out that pot is the biggest cash crop in the US... image how many humvees could be armored by Haliburton or funnelled into Blackwater if we taxed this stuff??

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-pot18dec18,0,5264617.story?coll=la-home-headlines

SACRAMENTO — For years, activists in the marijuana legalization movement have claimed that cannabis is America's biggest cash crop. Now they're citing government statistics to prove it.

A report released today by a marijuana public policy analyst contends that the market value of pot produced in the U.S. exceeds $35 billion — far more than the crop value of such heartland staples as corn, soybeans and hay, which are the top three legal cash crops.

California is responsible for more than a third of the cannabis harvest, with an estimated production of $13.8 billion that exceeds the value of the state's grapes, vegetables and hay combined — and marijuana is the top cash crop in a dozen states, the report states.

The report estimates that marijuana production has increased tenfold in the past quarter century despite an exhaustive anti-drug effort by law enforcement.

Jon Gettman, the report's author, is a public policy consultant and leading proponent of the push to drop marijuana from the federal list of hard-core Schedule 1 drugs — which are deemed to have no medicinal value and a high likelihood of abuse — such as heroin and LSD.
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +296 / 1 / -9

Everybody in Maine has known this for years, the war on drugs is a joke, the Illegal drug business is bigger than Wal Mart, General Motors or Microsoft combined, there are "dirt bag tattoed bastards" that can't speak English standing in a schoolyard selling drugs and making more money than Britney Spears Vagina is and the stupid Idiots still won't legalize it, drugs are everywhere, anybody can get them whenever they want them.

STOP CRIME LEGALIZE DRUGS AND THE MURDERING SCUM DRUG DEALERS WILL BE OUT OF BUSINESS TOMORROW, THE CROOKED POLITICIAN, THE CROOKED LAWYWER, THE CROOKED JUDGE, THE BAD COP, THE 14 YR OLD RUNNER WITH "THE 9MM" IN HIS PANTS THEY WILL BE GONE.

THE DEA, THE CROOKS I MENTIONED ABOVE, THEY ALL WANT DRUGS TO REMAIN ILLEGAL FOREVER.

ON ANY STREET CORNER IN ANY BIG CITY IN AMERICA THERE IS A YOUNG KID THAT CAN'T SPELL HIS OWN NAME WEARING BAGGY PANTS, $500 SNEAKERS, A $200 BASKETBALL JERSEY WHO HAS NO IDEA WHO HIS FATHER IS AND HE MAKES MORE MONEY IN ONE MONTH THAN YOU CAN MAKE IN TEN YEARS.
  3. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Harry I don't think we are on the same page here, talking about Marijuana and how is has become the largest cash crop in the us.. not talking about dealing on the corner.. you know that stuff growing the field down the street from you, not the other crap.
  4. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +296 / 1 / -9

The dealer on the corner sells Pot also. LEGALIZE IT ALL.
  5. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The war on drugs is racist. For example, far more blacks and latinos are imprisoned for pot offenses than whites.

Harry, why on earth would you and your klansmen brethren want that to change?

When the rich white guys start getting busted for growrooms in their huge colonial estates, then you'll know that pot is on its way to getting decriminalized. Rich white guys have the means to fight back against such legal injustices- its called a lawyer.
  6. BruschiOnTap

BruschiOnTap Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Pot will be de-criminalized within 10 years, but maybe even legalized and controlled if Congress gets big dollar-signs in their eyes. Can't wait! Our prisons will stop being overcrowded, crime rates will go down, everyone will start acting like adults when it comes to drugs...

but all that tax money will just be thrown away on war and sci-fi adventures to mars instead of put into better schools/social system
  7. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +296 / 1 / -9

Could that be because "They" commit far more offenses?

Up in Maine it's the "Poor White Guy" with the garden.
  8. BruschiOnTap

BruschiOnTap Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

the system is inadvertantly racist because more minorities live in poor areas and are poor themselves, so they are more willing to resort to crime in order to make ends meet. So yeah, they commit more crimes. but also, cops aren't patrolling the farm roads in Maine
  9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Anecdotally when I lived in Franklin County Maine, a county larger than RI, they had no local police force... most of the time on weekends there was one state policeman for pretty much the entire county. The lady down the street made a domestic violence complaint, took the police 2 hours to respond.
  10. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +296 / 1 / -9

It still is much like that except for the "city's" but the 911 emergency medical has greatly improved, in the rural area's a cop might have to travel for a half hour or so with all his stuff on (lights siren) that can be dangerous for them a couple of State Troopers have been killed on one of those runs since I have been up here.

Back to my sh!t:
    Why do some people always try to find excuses for criminal behaviour, (poor, abused, no toys when they were kids etc).
    Could it be that some people have the criminal thing right in their blood line could it be that some of them enjoy it "Whitney Hustons Husband" Poor Guy.

Do knee jerk liberals have any idea how many decent law abiding "Poor People" there are out there.

99% of people that are in jail BELONG there.
  11. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Now thats the ticket. So, if I understand you, you claim that the war on drugs should be ended, and illicit drugs legalized, but that 99% of the people in jail, of which a very large proportion are there under those same draconian (and arguably, unconstitutional) drug laws but that they belong there.

That makes perfect sense Harry. Completely incoherent sense.
  12. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

This is where Harry gets on his "WITHOUT LAW AND ORDER, SOCIETY WILL CRUMBLE" soapbox.
  13. BruschiOnTap

BruschiOnTap Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

*...confused head-scratching...* :-/

In response to Harry's rant, I prefer to think that most people wouldn't commit crimes against society unless they have to or unless the law doesn't make sense... case in point, drug users who believe they're not harming society by taking a toke, and drug peddlers, who need the money and have few, if any, prospects in 'honest' professions but are trying to live a decent lifestyle.

Degenerates and pathological cases will always be around, but they are probably that way for a reason and it's better for society to understand and overcome these reasons rather than shut them up in a cell forever. Nobody will learn anything from that, not society and not the criminal
  14. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Considering the number of non-violent offenders that have been incarcerated on pot charges since the scheduling in 1972 under (who of all people) Nixon, I'd say theres a very good chance that a considerably high number of violent offenders/rapists/murderers have gone free to allow room in our prisons for the drug user.

The basic chronology of the war on pot since `72:

Nixon started it in response to the counter culture, Reagan ramped it up conflating pot with cocaine- a true epidemic at the time, Bush I used it to justify rolling back civil liberties (illegal searches and seizures went way up under him), [Clinton sat on his thumbs and did nothing], and Bush II ... what will be his legacy?

my guess is we'll eventually find out how much homeland security money went toward this class war his conservative minions keep harping on about.
  15. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +296 / 1 / -9

Your right I did leave something out all prisoners serving time for "Drug Offenses" should be released the day drugs become legal, (except the murderers) they should be given a new tee shirt a pair of pants and a 20 dollar bill.
    If I had The Wings Of An Angel
    Over These prison Walls I Would Fly

I Would Fly To The Arms Of My Darling
    And There I'd Be Willing To Die
    :bricks:
  16. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Many special interests are against legalizing pot:
    Rehab centers
    Police departments
    Churches
    Prison contractors
    Prison Unions
    The Government in general

I want pot legalized and homegrown should NOT taxed. Taxing homegrown pot would be like taxing homegrown tomatoes. Who in their right mind wouldn't grow their own if it was legal? Then what would the government incentive be to legalize?
  17. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

you have mentioned little fish...I'll give you a big one PHARMA
  18. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Oh...I forgot that one! :eek:
  19. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

So that's racist? You know, I just can't stand it when people excuse criminal behavior. Sorry, but people who do drugs, or sell them, choose to. It is no other fault other than their own.
  20. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Well then the entire criminal justice system is racist, not just the war on drugs.