PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Postseason OverTime - Thought Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a safety immediately wins the game, but not a FG. Thus, in the NFL, in overtime, 2>3.

Yep, but as I just said, it's not only the points, it's the fact that the losing team's possession is 'used up' at the moment the safety is scored.

Even in regulation, a safety is potentially worth more than a FG, given the free kick after.

Last edited:
OK - what I'm trying to understand is why you think Team B, by any interpretation, could be awarded a win. They would still be in a 1-point hole, that is, failing to match Team A's FG, which opportunity I take to be the intent of the rule change.

The part of the rule and the explanations that say that a safety ends the game.

My point, though, is to contrast the fumble and safety with the fumble and TD on Team B's possession. I don't think either was really thought through. They were just envisioning the circumstance where there is an interception and that's the end, without taking into account that often after picks, the defender is dumb enough to try to run a little before going to the ground.

Based on Broncos win in OT; it seems pretty obvious almost every team should elect to receive. But what do you do when your opening drive stalls?

What are your standards? In the following situation where on the field do you kick it, go for it, or punt?

Assuming Pats are first team to receive and it is now 4th and short (1-3 yards) at what spots on the field would you elect to go for it?

Also assuming:
1. You are not in Denver. (a sea level game)
2. Pats are playing a playoff caliber opponent (at least one of opponents D and/or O are top 10 )

With our porous secondary; I think from the Goal line to the 35 you need to go for it and just skip attempting to kick a FG. (only do the FG if you it is 4th and 4 yds or more)

From anything beyond 35 I would punt or pooch it and try to pin them back inside the 10.

YOUR GAMEPLAN???

Agree with your analysis, except I would kick a sure figgie inside the 30 on 4th down. I would go for it on 4th and short between the 35-40, maybe all the way to the 30 if my kicker or conditions weren't great. If you go for it on 4th & short in short FG range and don't make it, then they get the ball and if they score either a TD or a FG they win, true (because each team has possessed the ball)? Why not take the 3 points & see (pray) if the D can hold them to either no score or their own FG?

The part of the rule and the explanations that say that a safety ends the game.

OCD kicking in again - I MUST know the answer to this :eek: ;) I can't believe I'm actually downloading the NFL Rulebook :D

Last edited:
Maybe they're setting themselves up for an error of omission, but here's the only mention of a safety in playoff OT:

A.R. 16.19 SAFETY
Third-and-5 on A7. On the opening possession of overtime, A1 is tackled in his own end zone for a
safety.
Ruling: Game over. Team B wins. Both teams have met the minimum requirements for possession

It seems to me that, as the new rules and their consequences (intended or not) were all aimed at eliminating only one means of winning, I'm on safe ground in assuming that OT is meant to be unchanged in every other way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey