Welcome to PatsFans.com

Postmaster General: Mail days may need to be cut

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

the post office is broke?

great....

Postmaster General: Mail days may need to be cut - BusinessWeek

By RANDOLPH E. SCHMID

WASHINGTON

Massive deficits could force the post office to cut out one day of mail delivery, the postmaster general told Congress on Wednesday, in asking lawmakers to lift the requirement that the agency deliver mail six days a week.

If the change happens, that doesn't necessarily mean an end to Saturday mail delivery. Previous post office studies have looked at the possibility of skipping some other day when mail flow is light, such as Tuesday.
  2. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

so if you are lucky enough to qualify for unemployement benefits when you get canned, you'll have to wait another day for your check.
  3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +290 / 4 / -2

There goes the neighborhood.
  4. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +82 / 5 / -9

#37 Jersey

Here in Pennsylvania, you either have it direct deposited or they give you a debit card it gets loaded on to. No more paper checks. that also goes for your state tax refund.
  5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +281 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Mail is getting obselete now anyway. The whole idea of home delivery is obsolete and should be put to rest like a lot of other things. They should just expand post offices with bigger P.O. box areas and, of course, easy access and have people drive there to get their mail when they feel like it. If you've ordered something you know to check for it, if not I would go every other day at most. I get all my bills electronically now. Home delivery is expensive in people, gas, maintenance, etc, and is just unecessary now IMO. I know I wouldn't miss it a bit.
  6. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Agree, snail mail's going the way of newspapers. I just wish internet hacking wasn't so commonplace, though the company you're snail-mailing your checks,etc to does their business electronically so even though YOU may not get hacked, they may. (Monster.com was hacked the other day).
  7. Real World

Ratings:
    +290 / 4 / -2

Nah, the postal system acts as a life blood for a population. Sending a letter might not be as high tech as efiling, persay, but it's still very important to the everyday operations of the country. Not everyone has internet access, or a computer, and in the city, could you imagine what a PO Box for every citizen would be? Who'd maintain the boxes, and issue keys? Who'd be responsible for the contents inside? Eliminating delivery and giving everyone a PO Box wouldn't work for a number of different reasons.

I have no problem with the PO eliminating a day of mail delivery. It would mean a 5 day week, which is fine by me. Lord knows that increasing the cost of a stamp is not the way to go. It already costs 42 cents per letter, and while some people say "what's 42 cents?", well, try being a business. Sending 50, 100, even 1,000 letters out per week is nothing for a business. I'd much prefer the agency go to a 5 day week, than constantly increase the cost of sending materials.
  8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +281 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

You could easily get around all that stuff. Current mail delivery people (but less) could fill boxes and maintain boxes and keys. If you want to continue feeding the dinosaur, great. I don't although I pay very little as I hardly ever use the mail system anymore - although I am waiting for my Baseball America Prospect Handbook - WHERE IS IT ???
  9. Real World

Ratings:
    +290 / 4 / -2

It would never, ever work BF. Maybe in a suburb it would, but certainly not in any urban area. It's just not practical. Here in Chelsea it would be an absolute nightmare. Boxes would fill up in days, and nobody would come to get their mail. What do you do then, throw the overflowing stuff away? Plus, people would constantly lose keys, and you'd have to constantly change locks on Boxes that change ownership. In Chelsea you'd need over 20,000 boxes. Where are you going to get the space to hold satisfy that? It'd be an absolute nightmare, nevermind the rampant fraud, or adminstrative, and legal problems such a system would bring about. As it is now, it's delivered, and it's yours. I think cutting it down to 5 days makes more sense. We operate on a 5 business day schedule, so having the mail do the same is more than logical.
  10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +281 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

If we're going to keep it they can fire half the drivers and cut back to M-W-F for half the country and T-Th-Sa for the other half then you only need half the drivers. Cut way back, no-one needs mail every day now, IMO, as little as we get. Save on salaries and gas - and, yes, for the Algorians we even cut carbon emissions.
  11. Synovia

Synovia Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

If companies were held accountable for getting hacked, it wouldn't be commonplace.

Go after the companies that refuse to fix security holes, not he analysts who find them.
  12. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +328 / 1 / -9

It was just on the news that His Highness Prince Obama is giving $20 million to Gaza.............
  13. Synovia

Synovia Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

And how many million did bush pay North Korea?
  14. Real World

Ratings:
    +290 / 4 / -2

The Post Office is self sufficient. It pays for its own operations with whatever revenue it recieves, and isn't funded by the government. So I'm not sure that it has to skeleton crew it's operations, as much as it needs to restructure it's operating procedure to run more efficiently. My point is, I don't think it's needs to halve itself, to survive. That being said, the odd days of delivery, like you mention, do seem like an interesting idea. I wonder if that would work.
  15. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Netflix says hi.

But if we get fast broadband at reasonable prices, this could change.
  16. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +328 / 1 / -9

That was then, this is now, charity begins at home (I wish they would let me use the "F" word) I had to stop using it I used to upset the Messiah Groupies.
  17. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +281 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Not sure what the relevance is - not that I care about that particular business model - but I'm not proposing stopping mail, just the pickup location.
  18. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +173 / 5 / -21

I drive all over rural RI, it does exist, and there are post offices for every zip code.. these little postoffices are little fiefdoms unto themselves, with postmasters and weird hours.. like an hour off for lunch..

Centralize the service, make it more efficient.. when I lived in Maine every town had its own post office.. the whole system needs to be streamlined..
  19. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Erm, home delivery. USPS makes money delivering Netflix DVDs to customers' doors. If I had to go pick it up it'd be a lot less appealing a service.
  20. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +281 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

I'm actually surprised it's still in business with so many other ways for movies is seems like it won't make it long term. But maybe I'm wrong, I'm not a movie watcher.