PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Denver/Patriots Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
But can someone tell me where AD and Burgess are?

And the officiating, while not the sole cause of this loss, by any means, was just abysmal...

(1) The taunting penalty on Meriweather... well, the flag came out as Meriweather was still on the ground after the hit... where was the second flag? What the hell happened with the initial flag? Unless hitting a receiver is suddenly considered "taunting"....

(2) No offensive PI on Marshall on the final play in OT? So, it's ok to climb over the back of the defender (who still should have picked the ball... would have been a tough play, but it's gotta be made) in that situation, since the official will never have the stones to make the call... got it...

(3) Blown Bronco Fumble #1: Claiming that... Moreno? had his forward progress stopped, necessitating the whistle, when clearly he was still scrapping for yardage, and clearly he was not down by contact, and CLEARLY Jerod Mayo recovered the fumble...

(4) Blown Bronco Fumble #2: Same situation at the end of the game... a very clear fumble... and the booth claimed that Broncos LT Ryan Clady recovered the ball, but Tully Banta-Cain came up with it.... hmmmm...

(5) Tough call, but it looked like an INT on the Broncos OT drive... maybe simultaneous possession... still not even worth a review in that spot?

But of course, the officials always favor New England...................

Look at his numbers. No QB with numbers like that sucked. He can be mediocre w/ numbers like that, and I think he was.

But he didn't suck.
I think he did. Several of the completions were picked up off the ground and he had some horrible misses. If you want me to say he was average instead of sucked I guess I could but I think the best I can say with a straight face is below average.

In the two losses, I noticed that the Patriots led at half time and the offence was completely shut-out in the second half. To me it is the failure of the offence to make adjustments to counter adjustement made by the other team. I think the weakest link in all of this is Bill O'Brien (QB coach and acting OC). I think Bill O'Brien suppose to corret Brady's thowing mechanics and make the appropiate game time adjust. To me this guys seems to be very passive.

I have just come to the conclusion this team is simply not as good as I thought it would be. It is easy just to blame Brady but the bottom line is that this team has major holes in every aspect, offense, defense and special team.

I see a lot of people dishing the D. They gave up 17 points in regular time, thats a win for the D.

The problem is the Offense, no score in the second half. The playcalling is horrendous.

I don't see how AD can keep playing in coverage. He's friggen huge, and his quickness seems better suited to pressuring the qb.

The Denver o-line was for real, but it's a shame BB never brought the house with any consistency. Delayed blitzes from the outside aren't that effective when your secondary is trying to contain Brandon Marshall & Eddie Royal.

Orton's throws were on the money tonight.

Re: Sometimes a team just has your number

No rhyme nor reason to it, but the Donkeys have ours. I'd be a very happy man if their franchise folded tomorrow.

Still, with the more immediate concern, where was the defense? It reminded me of watching the AFC Championship game against the Colts, we just couldn't stop anything.

We were out coached and out played. The Broncos deserved to win and right now are a better team.

It's tough to fault the D. They kept giving the Pats O plenty of chances to seal the deal and maintain a 2 score lead. This was an undefeated team with loads of talent surrounding a possession type QB who doesn't make many mistakes.
With as many chances as TfB had, they should've had a comfortable 10-14 point lead throughout. It's tough to accept, even for me, but eventually a good team is going to breakthrough if you keep letting them hang around.

Of course it doesn't help when you go soft on the defensive play calling with the opposition backed up deep in their own territory.

I see a lot of people dishing the D. They gave up 17 points in regular time, thats a win for the D.

The problem is the Offense, no score in the second half. The playcalling is horrendous.

:agree: In the two losses, the Patriots were shut-out in the second half. To me it is failure of offence to counter the adjustment made by the opposing teams defence. I think OC/QB coach is not doing good enoungh jobs on both play calling and also on correcting Brady's mechanics.

Ot loss, blown a 10 point lead at halftime, Brady to on a game winning drive.. .This is not a normal pats team... and it will be what it will be...

Brady with chances to win the games and he can't do it.

Moss and Welker wide open for TD's and Brady can't hit them.

The worst part for me is that Brady does not look interested.

Tom Brady Passing
by half vs. Denver
1st Half 2nd Half
Comp-att 14-19 5-14
Pass Yds 152 63
TD-Int 2-0 0-0
Passer rtg 131.9 50.6

Nuff said

Mods, I'm not sure if you're going to want to move my thread or not. If you do, I'll just save you the trouble and you can delete it. Here are my postgame thoughts:

I rarely do these after wins but feel compelled to do them after losses for some reason. I did it after the Jets game and I did it after the Bills game (even though we won). The following are my thoughts on the Pats and the game without having read a single piece of information on what others think in this forum. This is just what I see when I look at this team after the Denver game...

1. Defense: Gotta start out here. Over the past few weeks against Atlanta and Baltimore, I've raved at times at how physical and attacking our secondary has been and I'm not going to shy away from that today. Our secondary still attacked and it was still physical, often times delivering jarring hits to the Denver receivers. However, the thing that killed us today and the thing that will kill us all season long when we face a good O-Line, is the utter lack of pass rush. And I'm not talking about blitzes and blitz packages, just pass rush as a whole. In the first three quarters, I didn't see a whole lot of blitzing from our defense. I didn't understand why at all because it didn't seem that the three and four man fronts that we were bringing at Orton and the Broncos were creating any pressure whatsoever. Then, late in the game, I saw that we did start finally bringing the heat with the blitz and they just did not get to Orton in time. I'll give the Broncos all the credit in the world: they are an outstanding O-Line. However, outstanding O-Lines are going to have a field day with us this season simply because we don't have a pass rusher that instills fear in the fat boys on the other side of the ball. And for those that bring up AD, I'm sorry, but he is simply not that. He's a solid OLB for us, but he isn't the kind of pass rusher that opposing O-Lines are going to have to dedicate extra attention to and, simultaneously, open some holes up for another LB/DB to come in and sack Orton. This complete lack of rush burned us as Orton proceeded to have a career day against our defense. We were good enough against the run once again, but the pass rush and protection was what sent us to 3-2 on this day.

2. O-Line: In all did a solid job against the Denver defense. They allowed the blitzes of the Denver D in the backfield a couple of times, but nothing that would have killed the game for us. The offense as a whole left 7-14 points out on the field this game and that can't be attributed to the O-Line. On that note, I want to wish Matt Light a speedy recovery although, unfortunately, I think we may have lost him for the year. So, for those that wanted Seabass in, you got your wish.

3. WRs/TEs: Can't complain about this group either. Overall, I think both the WR corps and the TEs did a pretty good job in blocking and getting open today. Moss had a sure fire TD in the first half that probably would have won the game for us if the pass had connected and Welker was again all over the field. The loss of Watson hurt a lot as the Patriots didn't have a vertical threat afterward that the Denver defense needed to respect, but he was having a good game before he left against the very good secondary that Denver possesses.

4. RBs: Another thing I cannot complain about here. I would have liked to see Maroney a bit more but Morris did okay based on what he was handed. All in all, our RBs total 22 carries for 97 yards against that Denver defense, which isn't bad at all. However, with the TOP we had, I felt like we could have ran the ball a bit more. One thing that helped Brady regain some bit of poise that he didn't show in Week 2 was the willingness to pound the ball up the middle time and time again. Against the Falcons and the Ravens, we did something we hadn't done in a long time: used the run to set up the pass. We got away from that today and instead tried to use the pass to set up the run. The Denver defense keyed in on that and it wasn't successful. However, that has more to do with playcalling which I will get into in a little bit.

5. QB: Brady looked so/so at times, and bad at other times. Never like the dominating QB he used to be at any minute in this game, though. He went 19/33 which isn't bad in retrospect. However, more than a few of the passes that he missed were passes that he could have hit two years ago to extend the drive. Two come immediately to mind. The first being the WIDE OPEN Randy Moss streaking toward the end zone in the first half that he could have hit for a TD. Instead he overthrew him once again and during the replay, you could see that his mechanics were once again off on the pass. The second was a big third down in the second half when Welker clearly had his man beat and could have at least taken a zinger right in his hands and ran for 20-35+ yards after the catch. Instead, the pass fluttered down at his feet and the drive was over. There were other passes that Brady missed today. He still looks skittish to me, but he may be coming out of it. It's just a shame that he had to play two of the top defenses in the league in his first five outings. I still believe he'll get better at the end of the season, but he's pretty clearly still a work in progress.

6. Coaching/Play Calling: Pretty piss poor today. Along with the defense, this is the second biggest reason we lost this game. On the defensive side of the ball, I would think it's pretty obvious. The one thing that I admired in the Baltimore game was the amount of pressure packages we seemed to be willing to use. And they worked for the most part. Today? Not so much. Maybe someone who can go over the game again and record the play stats (like Box O Rocks) can come in here and tell us how many times the Pats sent more than a four man rush from the 1st-3rd quarters. But, according to my eyes, it wasn't much if at all. The four man rush simply wasn't working against that stout O-Line. Now, I know some of you are going to come in here and remind me that blitz packages didn't entirely work either, but the fact of the matter is that it worked when we needed it the most: in the 4th quarter. Orton was sacked and the Broncos were out of field goal range. You'd think we'd keep that up in overtime right? Wrong. We looked just like we did in the first half and Hall of Famer Kyle Orton proceeded to make us pay. On the offensive side of the ball, I felt we could have pounded it more on first and second down to set up the pass. We did have 22 attempts, which was good, but we were still throwing it way too much on first and second downs which is a bad thing when you're going against a defense as good as Denver's.

7. Other thoughts: Two really short ones, actually. The first is that I wish Daniel Graham didn't want to leave New England so badly. Watching him out there against us made me miss him badly. The second is that watching Clady shut down our defensive line made me wish we drafted a mauler in the O-Line. I don't mean to beat it to death, but I have to say it: Michael Oher. Clady completely SHUT DOWN the right side of our defense. On top of that, I have to eat crow. Before the game I said that I didn't believe that Kyle Orton was going to be good enough to beat us. Well, I was obviously wrong on that as well and now have to go over to the Broncos message boards to eat crow there as well.

And the officiating, while not the sole cause of this loss, by any means, was just abysmal...

(1) The taunting penalty on Meriweather... well, the flag came out as Meriweather was still on the ground after the hit... where was the second flag? What the hell happened with the initial flag? Unless hitting a receiver is suddenly considered "taunting"....

(2) No offensive PI on Marshall on the final play in OT? So, it's ok to climb over the back of the defender (who still should have picked the ball... would have been a tough play, but it's gotta be made) in that situation, since the official will never have the stones to make the call... got it...

(3) Blown Bronco Fumble #1: Claiming that... Moreno? had his forward progress stopped, necessitating the whistle, when clearly he was still scrapping for yardage, and clearly he was not down by contact, and CLEARLY Jerod Mayo recovered the fumble...

(4) Blown Bronco Fumble #2: Same situation at the end of the game... a very clear fumble... and the booth claimed that Broncos LT Ryan Clady recovered the ball, but Tully Banta-Cain came up with it.... hmmmm...

(5) Tough call, but it looked like an INT on the Broncos OT drive... maybe simultaneous possession... still not even worth a review in that spot?

But of course, the officials always favor New England...................

1. There were two flags. One was for PI, which was not called because of the tip, and the second was for the taunting.

2. I don't think any ref would have called PI against the offense, regardless of team. It's just not going to happen.

3. This call happens all the time, if they want to fix it they need to make it reviewable, but sorry, it's the rules. The whistle was blown and the play was dead.

4. I don't remember this, but the way you describe it, it sounds like you're calling it a conspiracy. The refs probably clearly saw CLady jump on it and go down and then the pile jumped on him.

5. Clearly not an int.

To chalk this loss up to the refs is pathetic and ridiculous. You're team couldn't capitalize after we gave you two second chances on fourth downs, your QB over and under threw balls, and you got out played.

There was really no call I saw that should have been a controversey. Yet, if it makes you feel better to take the credit from the Broncos and blame it on the refs then by all means go at it. It's great to see people still saying that the Broncos aren't good. This is what the team has fed off of the whole season.

We're the worst 5-0 team ever!

On another note, to the fans who have given legitimate reasons for the loss and don't take away from the other team I wanted to say good game!

"Brady with chances to win the games and he can't do it.
The worst part for me is that Brady does not look interested."

Don't jump all over me but;
Maybe he is in LOVE guys. These things happen. Football is mental as well as physical. A lot has happened to him in the last year.
If he doesn't snap out of this in the next 3/4 games its going to be a long season. I hope I am wrong.

Tully Banta-Cain just called this loss "devastating" and that the locker room is very quiet. It's too bad they didn't pull this one out. Hopefully this isn't one of those losses that impacts their season.

Hopefully it is, because this type of loss was the last one of each SB Champ season.

"Brady with chances to win the games and he can't do it.
The worst part for me is that Brady does not look interested."

Don't jump all over me but;
Maybe he is in LOVE guys. These things happen. Football is mental as well as physical. A lot has happened to him in the last year.
If he doesn't snap out of this in the next 3/4 games its going to be a long season. I hope I am wrong.

What the hell? Because he got married and fell in love he can not play football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes