PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Postgame cuts - Exhibition Game 4 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking that all preseason. He looks terrible, disinterested, and happy he got his big payday. I think BB notices too, because he's been playing with the 2nd and 3rd stringers all preseason. Not impressed at all. Very disappointed.
Browner is so happy with his "big payday" that he's going to throw away all but $1.25M of it?

Team as I have it now. I left off Browner as he's suspended. I am expecting, like plenty of other years, for BB to pick up someone that is cut from another team to fill out the roster.

QB (3) Garoppolo, Mallett, Brady
RB (4) Ridley, Vereen, Develin, Bolden
WR (6) Edelman, Dobson, Thompkins, LaFell, Slater, Amendola
TE (3) Gronkowski, Wright, Hoomanawanui
C (2) Wendell, Stork
G (4) Kline, Halapio, Devey, Connolly
T (3) Solder, Cannon, Vollmer
DE (3) Jones, Moore, Ninkovich
DT (5) Wilfork, Siliga, Jones, Vellano, Easley
ILB(3) Mayo, Beauharnais, Hightower
OLB(3) Collins, White, Davis
CB (5) Dennard, Revis, Ryan, Butler, Arrington
SS (3) Ebner, Wilson, Harmon
FS (2) McCourty, Chung
ST (3) Gostkowski, Allen, Aiken

Total players: 52

And I'm not sure about Mallett.

In BB's value-based system, I think Arrington and Connolly are the most vulnerable. I don't think the drop-off between those two and their potential replacements is that significant.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Ebner cut. Wilson, Chung and Harmon all offer similar value on ST with better safety play.

Call me crazy but I like James Morris more than Chris White at OLB. I think Morris could be a good backup to Jamie Collins.

Unfortunately I think Morris's injury means he won't make the 53.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Harmon gone - he's shown nothing.
This is one spot where the Patriots might pick up someone from other roster cuts.

The whole other-safety spot has been Andy Hart's "if you have six safeties, you don't have one safety" situation. Through weeks of mini-camp, training camp, and pre-season, there has been no stability at other-safety. Harmon hasn't won it; Wilson hasn't won it; Chung hasn't won it. Wilson has played so much Special Teams he could make the team, with Ebner, based on that. Harmon plays surprisingly little special teams - maybe because of the Wilson/Ebner presence.

The team really ends the off-season with about the same questions they had when they entered it:
Who plays safety opposite McCourty?
Who is the third defensive end?
Who plays where on the interior offensive line?

Browner is so happy with his "big payday" that he's going to throw away all but $1.25M of it?

Eh? My calculations show his contract to be worth up to something like 4 million this year. It /is/ heavily incentivized, but it's all easily attainable, basically just being on the roster and then being active for games.

I'm gonna ask this question, hoping its not true but.....

Am I the only one that thinks Brandon Browner might be on the bubble?

I've thought about this a little. Doesn't it come down to the fact that he doesn't count against the 53 until week 5? What gain would there be to eliminate the ability to hold him without tying up a spot for someone else? It wouldn't be very respectful to hold a veteran in limbo and then cut him when the suspension is up, but Browner would likely land a new team in about 5 minutes.

Eh? My calculations show his contract to be worth up to something like 4 million this year. It /is/ heavily incentivized, but it's all easily attainable, basically just being on the roster and then being active for games.
I mean if he was cut now (as little sense as that makes). He has $1M guaranteed and I assume got the $250k workout bonus. I just don't see how anybody could think Browner is slacking off because of his new big contract. You'd have to worry about Albert Haynesworth after getting $41M guaranteed, not Browner with his $1M guaranteed.

I've been thinking that all preseason. He looks terrible, disinterested, and happy he got his big payday. I think BB notices too, because he's been playing with the 2nd and 3rd stringers all preseason. Not impressed at all. Very disappointed.

I expect that he's been playing with the 2's and 3's because he won't be with the 1's for the first four weeks. Why would they bother to put him there in PS when they're trying to figure out who fits with Revis? A tthe same time he's evaluating players, BB is likely trying to put together Week1, after all.

I expect that he's been playing with the 2's and 3's because he won't be with the 1's for the first four weeks. Why would they bother to put him there in PS when they're trying to figure out who fits with Revis? A tthe same time he's evaluating players, BB is likely trying to put together Week1, after all.

Its kind of a no-brainer. You get the guys who are playing week 1 ready, then you use a guy like Browner (and Tyms) with the scrubs who won't be making the team, so they get their work in and stay in shape.

I mean if he was cut now (as little sense as that makes). He has $1M guaranteed and I assume got the $250k workout bonus. I just don't see how anybody could think Browner is slacking off because of his new big contract. You'd have to worry about Albert Haynesworth after getting $41M guaranteed, not Browner with his $1M guaranteed.

Ah. I see...I somehow missed that small but all important but in your post. Nevermind!

Count me as also unimpressed w/ Browner so far. We'll see how things shake out in week 4 and onwards but with the renewed emphasis on letting Peyton complete passes I'm not sure about the value we're gonna get from Browner.

I'd much rather see Revis on one side and Dennard/Ryan/Butler on the other side.

Its kind of a no-brainer. You get the guys who are playing week 1 ready, then you use a guy like Browner (and Tyms) with the scrubs who won't be making the team, so they get their work in and stay in shape.

This is what I think too, to some degree, as far as when he is getting played. That even if he was playing lights out he'd be getting less playtime in the preseason because he's not playing for the first quarter of the season.

So I don't read into that, I'm just not blown away by what he has done when he's been out there. Contrasted with a guy like Butler who has been playing against the 1st and 2nd team offenses and has really stood out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing